VW Touareg

Old July 16th 05, 03:53 AM
Ted Borck

Default VW Touareg

The wife has decided that she wants a V6 Touareg.

This will not be her first VW.

Nor the first all wheel drive vehicle she has driven.

I don't know anyone who owns one of these.

Any mechanical reliability or otherwise cautions or concerns that I should
be aware of?

Thanks

--
Ted Borck
Old July 16th 05, 11:52 AM
Woodchuck

what year, new or used?

Old July 16th 05, 03:09 PM
Ted Borck

2005 new.

Old July 16th 05, 05:28 PM
Woodchuck

Driveline, very few problems. But we still see electrical issues from time
to time.

Old July 16th 05, 09:46 PM

Automatic transmissions are very troublesome on Touareg models. Either
Aisin or ZF unit, both of these cause problems in all markets - usually
need controller/vavle pack replacement for repair.

Old July 17th 05, 03:04 AM
Archangel

What about the general maintenance? I heard that an oil change is about
$140, at the dealer. Any truth to this?

--
Do not go where the path may lead...
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Old July 17th 05, 03:19 AM
Woodchuck

Figure 6.5 qts of synthetic oil, filter, and labor. I think our dealer is
$89 or $99 for just the oil change. It's like just about any vehicle in the
40K plus price

Old July 17th 05, 08:07 PM
Tom R.

My wife had two requirements to the vehicle to replace her ML320: first it
had to be four wheel drive; second it had to seat four adults. She did not
want another MB ML. It was not a particularly well built vehicle. She thinks
the Touareg is terrific. It drives better than the ML; it is tighter and it
is far quieter. I think she is right on. The only problem we have had is the
passenger side A/C has stopped working. The mechanics don't really know what
is wrong and they tell me the piece of test equipment they need is still in
Germany. Meanwhile they are going to replace the actuator on that side and
keep their fingers crossed. Meanwhile it runs well and gets better mileage
than the ML (but not as good as my 2003 Jetta Diesel wagon).

Tom

Old July 17th 05, 08:17 PM
Woodchuck

Tom, have you had it long enough to see how many miles the tires last? In
our area I don't think I have seen one with more than 20k on the original
tires. Most get around 15k and the V8's get less if the owner drives them
hard. Personally I think with the size of the tire it should last around
30K. But then again how many SUV's have a speed rating of 130mph.

Touareg Pete LaFlamme VW water cooled 2 May 29th 05 01:44 PM
Touareg rear reflectors aokvw VW water cooled 2 November 24th 04 09:53 PM
Our new Touareg Steve Grauman VW water cooled 3 November 12th 04 03:38 PM
touareg...ahh the touareg! [email protected] VW water cooled 2 September 20th 04 07:20 PM