Odyssey AT 2006 problem

Old December 19th 07, 04:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Art[_1_]

Default Odyssey AT 2006 problem

For those of you hoping that Honda had resolved their Odyssey AT problems, I
got bad news. My Odyssey only has 12k miles on it and after getting off the
highway today a couple of times the AT sounded bad... almost like a distant
siren sound coming from it. Checked fluid (supposedly topped off by dealer
as part of service in October just 1500 miles ago) and it is slightly low.
But the real bad news is that when wiping the fluid off the stick paper
towel showed what appeared to be metal particles (grindings). Will be
calling the dealer first thing in the morning.

Old December 21st 07, 03:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dano58

On Dec 18, 11:39 pm, "Art" > wrote:
> For those of you hoping that Honda had resolved their Odyssey AT problems, I
> got bad news. My Odyssey only has 12k miles on it and after getting off the
> highway today a couple of times the AT sounded bad... almost like a distant
> siren sound coming from it. Checked fluid (supposedly topped off by dealer
> as part of service in October just 1500 miles ago) and it is slightly low.
> But the real bad news is that when wiping the fluid off the stick paper
> towel showed what appeared to be metal particles (grindings). Will be
> calling the dealer first thing in the morning.

You sure it's the AT and not the PS pump? My '07 had what I assumed
was a transmission whine. Sounded like a turbine spooling up whenever
I accelerated and the sound decreased every time it upshifted, as revs
decreased. Turned out to be the PS pump - which was logical because
the steering also felt disconnected, and since the PS pump is driven
off the engine, then the sound would rise and fall with engine speed.

Dan D
'07 Ody EX
Central NJ USA
Old December 29th 07, 08:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Art[_1_]

"Dano58" > wrote in message
> On Dec 18, 11:39 pm, "Art" > wrote:
>> For those of you hoping that Honda had resolved their Odyssey AT
>> problems, I
>> got bad news. My Odyssey only has 12k miles on it and after getting off
>> the
>> highway today a couple of times the AT sounded bad... almost like a
>> distant
>> siren sound coming from it. Checked fluid (supposedly topped off by
>> dealer
>> as part of service in October just 1500 miles ago) and it is slightly
>> low.
>> But the real bad news is that when wiping the fluid off the stick paper
>> towel showed what appeared to be metal particles (grindings). Will be
>> calling the dealer first thing in the morning.

> You sure it's the AT and not the PS pump? My '07 had what I assumed
> was a transmission whine. Sounded like a turbine spooling up whenever
> I accelerated and the sound decreased every time it upshifted, as revs
> decreased. Turned out to be the PS pump - which was logical because
> the steering also felt disconnected, and since the PS pump is driven
> off the engine, then the sound would rise and fall with engine speed.
>
> Dan D
> '07 Ody EX
> Central NJ USA

It is not impossible that it is the PS pump. However the steering feels
perfect during the episodes. Did yours happen consistantly once it started?
Mine is intermittent with no pattern whatsoever. Completely unpredictable
when it will happen.

Old January 2nd 08, 02:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dano58

On Dec 29 2007, 3:34 pm, "Art" >
wrote:
> "Dano58" > wrote in message

> > On Dec 18, 11:39 pm, "Art" > wrote:
> >> For those of you hoping that Honda had resolved their Odyssey AT
> >> problems, I
> >> got bad news. My Odyssey only has 12k miles on it and after getting off
> >> the
> >> highway today a couple of times the AT sounded bad... almost like a
> >> distant
> >> siren sound coming from it. Checked fluid (supposedly topped off by
> >> dealer
> >> as part of service in October just 1500 miles ago) and it is slightly
> >> low.
> >> But the real bad news is that when wiping the fluid off the stick paper
> >> towel showed what appeared to be metal particles (grindings). Will be
> >> calling the dealer first thing in the morning.

> > You sure it's the AT and not the PS pump? My '07 had what I assumed
> > was a transmission whine. Sounded like a turbine spooling up whenever
> > I accelerated and the sound decreased every time it upshifted, as revs
> > decreased. Turned out to be the PS pump - which was logical because
> > the steering also felt disconnected, and since the PS pump is driven
> > off the engine, then the sound would rise and fall with engine speed.

> > Dan D
> > '07 Ody EX
> > Central NJ USA

> It is not impossible that it is the PS pump. However the steering feels
> perfect during the episodes. Did yours happen consistantly once it started?
> Mine is intermittent with no pattern whatsoever. Completely unpredictable
> when it will happen.

Mine was intermittent as well, although I could tell that the steering
was 'looser' than it had been. But the whining came and went. I never
could pick up a pattern (i.e., always when very warm outside, or when
it rained, etc).

Dan D
'07 Ody EX
Central NJ USA

2006 Honda Odyssey EX KOS Honda 2 October 2nd 06 07:53 AM
2006 Odyssey - should i buy one? Felton Barch Honda 6 March 30th 06 05:32 AM
2002 Odyssey vent problem Richard Koop Honda 5 January 24th 06 05:41 PM
Honda Odyssey problem toypup Honda 7 September 22nd 05 01:23 AM
Odyssey fuel gauge problem Eric Goldsmith Honda 2 October 18th 04 08:51 PM