OEM Online Honda Parts Sites

Old December 29th 07, 08:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Tony Harding

Default OEM Online Honda Parts Sites

Elle wrote:
> "Dave Kelsen" > wrote
>> The only point I have made, and I think this is true of
>> most of the others in this thread who have posted, is that
>> the tax exists, and the authority to collect it exists.
>> The states don't have the means, or in some cases the
>> desire, to collect it, and you can almost assuredly
>> continue to not pay sales tax on those items with
>> impunity.

> Agreed, except I think this may change sooner rather than
> later. It of course would likely require a change in federal
> law to have any teeth, since the key probably is to get
> internet stores to collect the tax.

Something the 'Net sellers are lobbying against furiously, I'm sure.
Old December 29th 07, 10:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Grumpy AuContraire

Tony Harding wrote:
> Elle wrote:
>
>> "Inigo Lopez de Loyola" <i@hs> wrote
>>
>>> If you buy online from a supplier who does not have a "business
>>> nexus" in your state, they can't collect sales tax from you any
>>> you're not "obliged" to pay it

>> One is legally required to report it on one's state's taxes and pay
>> sales tax on it. Poster "Say What" is correct. Check state tax
>> instructions yourself.

> In NJ it asks if you've made any untaxed (sales tax) purchases. Anyone
> who answers "yes" is paying a Stupid Tax IMHO.

Ain't that the truth... But stupid often does what stupid sez.

Ya gotta luv 'em!

JT
Old December 30th 07, 04:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
John Horner

jim beam wrote:
> Elle wrote:
>> My 91 Civic is due for some new ignition wires. I started checking OEM
>> online Honda parts places that I have used in the past. Shipping seems
>> to have shot through the roof. From reports here and some other
>> shopping, I have become vaguely aware that dealerships increasingly
>> offer parts online at discounted internet prices. So I googled for
>> {online OEM Honda parts [my state]}. The second hit yielded a
>> dealership five miles from me selling prices as competitive as I have
>> seen at Majestic and San Leandro Honda (long-time online dealers), but
>> of course without the shipping charge. I get to pay sales tax, but I
>> am obliged to do so anyway even with online purchases.

> no you're not. if your supplier doesn't have a presence in your state,
> your online purchases are federally exempt. simply factor that into
> your purchase decision and if it makes sense, order from a supplier
> outside your state and save the tax.

Not exactly. You are exempt from sales taxes in the state where the
supplier is, but technically you are liable for use taxes (the
equivalent of sales tax) in your home state where you receive the goods.
In practice very few individuals pay these use taxes because the home
state doesn't know about it, but in theory in a detailed audit you could
be caught up in it. I imagine that with a court order Amazon and others
could be compelled to give your state a list of all your purchases.

I was in a business one time where the business was audited by the state
looking for use tax collection on out of state purchases, so at least in
some places I know that states do indeed make some effort to collect these.

John
Old December 30th 07, 04:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
John Horner

jim beam wrote:
> Say What? wrote:
>>>
>>> If you buy online from a supplier who does not have a "business
>>> nexus" in your state, they can't collect sales tax from you any
>>> you're not "obliged" to pay it

>> Bzzzzzzzzzzt! Wrong answer! At least it is in all the states where I
>> have a passing knowledge of their revenue act and that's a couple dozen.
>>
>> Just to make sure though, why don't you make a couple of large on-line
>> purchases from some firms that don't have the business presence or
>> nexus in your state? Then, tally up your receipts and call your state
>> revenue department and tell them you purchased goods in a foreign
>> state for use in your home state but didn't pay any taxes. See what
>> they say about that. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to send you
>> the appropriate reporting form.

> not for online transactions - the supremes nixed that.
> http://www.cbpp.org/12-13-99tax.htm

All the supreme court did was to nix requiring the various mail order
companies to collect taxes on behalf of the home states of their
purchasers. However, the individual buyer is still legally required to
pay the taxes to their home state. In practice almost nobody does so
and in practice the states have rarely tried to enforce this law against
individuals, but I know first hand that they sometimes go after business
purchasers because there is enough money potentially there to make the
costs of collections worthwhile.
Old December 30th 07, 04:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
John Horner

Howard Lester wrote:
> "jim beam" wrote
>
>>> Remember, if you will, that the OP said that he had no obligation to pay
>>> the tax himself. He is obliged to pay it. As you have pointed out, the
>>> merchant selling to him is NOT required to collect it unless they have a
>>> physical presence or nexus in his state. The synopsis of the USSC
>>> decision also points out that the tax which is due is "effectively
>>> uncollectable," I said as much in my post.

>> in other words, you're arguing against yourself. well done.

> You'd make a good lawyer.
>
> ;-)

Not really. It is important to understand the law before arguing it,
and obvious Mr. Beam doesn't.

Old December 30th 07, 04:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
John Horner

Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

> Bzzzzt! Really Wrong Answer!!!
>
> If they, (the vendor), has no physical presence in your state and the
> order is via the internet, NO TAX OF ANY KIND CAN BE COLLECTED.
>
> So called "use tax" tactics DO NOT APPLY to internet sales.
>
> (One of the very few good things our conggress critters accomplished)
>
> JT

You should read the legislation more carefully. The federal law
prohibits forcing companies to collect sales taxes from out of state
customers. It does not prohibit states from charging or collecting use
taxes directly from the customers.

Some people don't seem to comprehend this distinction.

Old December 30th 07, 06:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Tony Harding

Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

> Tony Harding wrote:
>> Elle wrote:
>>
>>> "Inigo Lopez de Loyola" <i@hs> wrote

>>> One is legally required to report it on one's state's taxes and pay
>>> sales tax on it. Poster "Say What" is correct. Check state tax
>>> instructions yourself.

>> In NJ it asks if you've made any untaxed (sales tax) purchases. Anyone
>> who answers "yes" is paying a Stupid Tax IMHO.

> Ain't that the truth... But stupid often does what stupid sez.

No argument there, JT.
Old December 30th 07, 06:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Tony Harding

John Horner wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>> Elle wrote:
>>> My 91 Civic is due for some new ignition wires. I started checking
>>> OEM online Honda parts places that I have used in the past. Shipping
>>> seems to have shot through the roof. From reports here and some other
>>> shopping, I have become vaguely aware that dealerships increasingly
>>> offer parts online at discounted internet prices. So I googled for
>>> {online OEM Honda parts [my state]}. The second hit yielded a
>>> dealership five miles from me selling prices as competitive as I have
>>> seen at Majestic and San Leandro Honda (long-time online dealers),
>>> but of course without the shipping charge. I get to pay sales tax,
>>> but I am obliged to do so anyway even with online purchases.

>> no you're not. if your supplier doesn't have a presence in your
>> state, your online purchases are federally exempt. simply factor that
>> into your purchase decision and if it makes sense, order from a
>> supplier outside your state and save the tax.

> Not exactly. You are exempt from sales taxes in the state where the
> supplier is, but technically you are liable for use taxes (the
> equivalent of sales tax) in your home state where you receive the goods.
> In practice very few individuals pay these use taxes because the home
> state doesn't know about it, but in theory in a detailed audit you could
> be caught up in it. I imagine that with a court order Amazon and others
> could be compelled to give your state a list of all your purchases.
>
> I was in a business one time where the business was audited by the state
> looking for use tax collection on out of state purchases, so at least in
> some places I know that states do indeed make some effort to collect these.

As others have posted, IIRC, businesses, sometimes; individuals, hardly
ever.
Old January 3rd 08, 06:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
MAT

"Elle" > wrote in message
> My 91 Civic is due for some new ignition wires. I started checking OEM
> online Honda parts places that I have used in the past. Shipping seems to
> have shot through the roof. From reports here and some other shopping, I
> have become vaguely aware that dealerships increasingly offer parts online
> at discounted internet prices. So I googled for {online OEM Honda parts
> [my state]}. The second hit yielded a dealership five miles from me
> selling prices as competitive as I have seen at Majestic and San Leandro
> Honda (long-time online dealers), but of course without the shipping
> charge. I get to pay sales tax, but I am obliged to do so anyway even with
> online purchases.

I just stumbled upon the 'official' "Honda E-store" website linked from
Honda Owner's Link website and the prices of a front disc brake pad set from
the 2 accessible dealers to me are DOUBLE the going web price. I guess it's
YMMV with different kind of parts and dealers but I can likely do better
with maintenance parts purchased en masse online. Mostly I was impressed
that Honda is now pimping parts directly through their dealer network via
the same factory drawings we've been used to over the years. One thing I
love about Honda is their ubiquitous, online parts and knowledge
availability.

Old January 3rd 08, 05:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Elle

"MAT" > wrote
> I just stumbled upon the 'official' "Honda E-store"
> website linked from Honda Owner's Link website and the
> prices of a front disc brake pad set from the 2 accessible
> dealers to me are DOUBLE the going web price. I guess
> it's YMMV with different kind of parts and dealers

I think so, though improvement has been steady in the last
few years. Googling turns up a heckuva lot more OEM parts
dealers these days.

> but I can likely do better with maintenance parts
> purchased en masse online. Mostly I was impressed that
> Honda is now pimping parts directly through their dealer
> network via the same factory drawings we've been used to
> over the years. One thing I love about Honda is their
> ubiquitous, online parts and knowledge availability.

This is important to me, too. Before I buy a Toyota (maybe
in a few years when my 91 Civic dies), I will want to know
how available online drawings and OEM parts are.