kxproject SB drivers

Old January 17th 05, 06:46 PM
Uwe Schürkamp

Default kxproject SB drivers

Hi folks,

thanks to the hints posted here, I've managed to get the kxProject sb
drivers to work with my audigy 2 ZS. Everything works fine from N2003
to GPL, however I have a small problem in GPL soundwise: The engine
sound in single practise is fine, as is the outside / trackside engine
sound during races, but the in-car sound in races is completely
mangled and sounds more like white noise than my beloved repco
engine.

Any ideas what could be causing this or what settings I should play
with?

Thanks in advance,

uwe

ps: what got me going with the new drivers was plugging the speakers
into a different socket on the 2ZS sound card!

--
GPG Fingerprint: 2E 13 20 22 9A 3F 63 7F 67 6F E9 B1 A8 36 A4 61
Old January 18th 05, 11:52 AM
Steve Smith

Doesn't the readme say it swaps front & rear speaker outputs by default 'cuz
the rears have a better SNR?

Old January 18th 05, 01:48 PM
Uwe Schürkamp

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 11:52:23 GMT, Steve Smith wrote:
> Doesn't the readme say it swaps front & rear speaker outputs by default 'cuz
> the rears have a better SNR?

That's why I tried a different "hole" at the back of the ZS2, but
still engine sound in races is garbled. 8.(

Cheers uwe

--
GPG Fingerprint: 2E 13 20 22 9A 3F 63 7F 67 6F E9 B1 A8 36 A4 61
Old January 18th 05, 06:18 PM
Steve Smith

Bummah!

Old January 19th 05, 11:52 AM
Uwe Schürkamp

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 18:18:10 GMT, Steve Smith wrote:
> Bummah!
>
> "Uwe Schürkamp" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 11:52:23 GMT, Steve Smith wrote:
>> > Doesn't the readme say it swaps front & rear speaker outputs by default

> 'cuz
>> > the rears have a better SNR?
>> >

>> That's why I tried a different "hole" at the back of the ZS2, but
>> still engine sound in races is garbled. 8.(
>>
>> Cheers uwe

Turning down hw acceleration to "basic" fixed the problem. I thought
this wouldn't be necessary anymore with the kxproject drivers, but I'm
happy. ;-)

cheers,

uwe

--
GPG Fingerprint: 2E 13 20 22 9A 3F 63 7F 67 6F E9 B1 A8 36 A4 61
Old January 19th 05, 01:18 PM
Asgeir Nesoen

The whole point of installing the kxproject drivers was to avoid
reducing the acceleration level in the first place...

---A---

Old January 20th 05, 10:00 AM
Uwe Schürkamp

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 16:33:47 GMT, Ken MacKay wrote:

> Agreed. Unfortunately I still get distorted sounds in GPL on one PC unless I
> reduce the hardware acceleration (works fine on another). ;-( Just wanted to
> point out that the kx drivers didn't fix this in every case.
>
> Ken

Ok, I don't have a problem with turning down the acceleration a notch
or two (I hope I remember before my next league race on Saturday). As
long as the "sewing machine engine sound" in n2003 and friends appears
to be fixed (and so it seems), I'm a happy campy with the kxProject
drivers even on my halfway-supported Aud 2 ZS.

Cheers & thanks again for the link & the help,

uwe

--
GPG Fingerprint: 2E 13 20 22 9A 3F 63 7F 67 6F E9 B1 A8 36 A4 61
Old January 20th 05, 10:17 AM
Asgeir Nesoen

It's always like that, eh? You think you were smart and fixed something,
and then, nope, nix, no go.

I wonder what nasty trick Papy did with the sound to cause this
crackling sound... I remember once changing all the GPL sound samples
from 44 to 22 khz in order to use a SB 128 card... *sigh*. I would
believe GPL has some kind of sound card issue with every single sound
card out there, new and old alike...

---A---