How to get rid of smell in carpet??

Old January 14th 07, 12:58 AM posted to rec.autos.misc,alt.autos,alt.autos.honda
Roger[_4_]

Default How to get rid of smell in carpet??

Hey all, water seeped up through the floorboard of my 2000 Accord during
a flood last summer; now I'm having a big problem with an increasingly
bad odor. Any suggestions for how to get rid of it (not the car, the
odor ) ?

Thanks,
Rog
Old January 14th 07, 01:36 AM posted to rec.autos.misc,alt.autos,alt.autos.honda
Elle

Start with "Febreze," available in the detergents section of
your grocery.

Man the weather is taking a toll on cars lately. If it's not
the heat, it's the snow. If it's not snowing, someone is
recovering from a flood.

"Roger" > wrote

Old January 14th 07, 02:58 AM posted to rec.autos.misc,alt.autos,alt.autos.honda
Andrew

Elle wrote:
> Start with "Febreze," available in the detergents section of
> your grocery.
>
> Man the weather is taking a toll on cars lately. If it's not
> the heat, it's the snow. If it's not snowing, someone is
> recovering from a flood.
>
> "Roger" > wrote
>> Hey all, water seeped up through the floorboard of my 2000
>> Accord during
>> a flood last summer; now I'm having a big problem with an
>> increasingly
>> bad odor. Any suggestions for how to get rid of it (not
>> the car, the
>> odor ) ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Rog

Unfortunately, "Febreze" won't do squat. You've probably got at least a
mildew problem - and maybe mould.
From:
http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/housing/356-643/356-643.html

Old January 14th 07, 10:25 AM posted to rec.autos.misc,alt.autos,alt.autos.honda
Brian Smith

"Roger" > wrote in message
> Hey all, water seeped up through the floorboard of my 2000 Accord during
> a flood last summer; now I'm having a big problem with an increasingly
> bad odor. Any suggestions for how to get rid of it (not the car, the
> odor ) ?

It's probably the mould that you smell. That can kill. Have the carpets
removed and discarded, thoroughly clean the interior of the vehicle and
install new underlay and carpet.

Old January 14th 07, 08:52 PM posted to rec.autos.misc,alt.autos,alt.autos.honda
Jeff[_10_]

"Brian Smith" > wrote in message

> "Roger" > wrote in message
>> Hey all, water seeped up through the floorboard of my 2000 Accord during
>> a flood last summer; now I'm having a big problem with an increasingly
>> bad odor. Any suggestions for how to get rid of it (not the car, the
>> odor ) ?

> It's probably the mould that you smell. That can kill. Have the carpets
> removed and discarded, thoroughly clean the interior of the vehicle and
> install new underlay and carpet.

You have to get rid of all the mold and make sure everything under the
carpet is dry. Otherwise, the car will rust out.

Also, make sure no water got into the seats.

Jeff

Old January 15th 07, 05:31 PM posted to rec.autos.misc,alt.autos,alt.autos.honda
G-Man

At this point it's too late to salvage the carpet. It's a health issue too.
We had the same think hapen in my '96, but the dealer removed the carpet
from the car within a day, and it was shampood and dried completely before
installing it again. No odors and no rust. The brain box under the seat
was trashed. It was an insurance claim. They wanted to total the car (it
had 140k on it, but I talked the into repair. Cost was $1700. I have owned
this car from new. It now has 181K on it and going strong! I run
Synthetick oil, and it only uses about 1/2 qt between changes (which means I
never have to add oil).

I have a 2006 EX-V6 NAV, but I drive this old car most of the time. I don't
have to worry too much about door dings, and where I park it. Still looks
like new though.

Take care of your Honda, and it will take care of you!

G-Man

Old January 15th 07, 07:51 PM posted to rec.autos.misc,alt.autos,alt.autos.honda
mopa

The best thing is probably to replace the whole carpet. They sell these
on ebay, and such. It would cost you less then 1k, and your car will
look nice and clear. I doubt there is any other way, because your
carpet is full of mildew and has rotten.

---
Drink It. Feel It. Share It.
http://www.monaviedrink.com

Old July 20th 12, 01:05 PM
Michael323 Michael323 is offline
Junior Member

Hi guys if you worry about that how to get rid of smell in carpet? Don't worry we provide excellent services to our customers for in this purpose as they want.

upholstery cleaners

Last edited by Michael323 : July 21st 12 at 09:00 AM.

Smell Fuel on E39 ChrisJ BMW 3 July 21st 06 12:29 PM
Damp Carpet in 2006 Exedition [email protected] 4x4 5 July 10th 06 09:17 PM
Difficulty - Replacing a 1986 Carpet Kit? Ironman Corvette 1 February 22nd 06 04:18 PM
Burning Smell Near Rear Tires? [email protected] Technology 3 July 4th 05 04:29 AM
1999 Odyssey water under carpet... Yenski News Honda 8 June 3rd 05 03:34 AM