aftermarket headlights for '93 F-150

Old November 1st 11, 07:07 PM posted to alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech
N8N[_2_]

Default aftermarket headlights for '93 F-150

Hi all,

as you may know, I own a '93 F-150... which probably has the second
worst headlights ever foisted on the American driving public, with no
convenient European version to swap in. (the worst being the
Volkswagen Corrado, but at least that vehicle is fixable simply by
getting German-market headlights which are quite good.)

So anyway, my driver's side headlight is starting to show condensation
inside the assembly, which says to me that a) the reflector is going
to start to degrade soon, meaning that I'll be able to see even less
at night than I was able to before, and b) I probably won't pass my
next safety inspection without fixing this issue.

I am aware of two options currently - first, get some new stock
replacement type lights from someone like rockauto, which isn't that
expensive, but I have a very low opinion of the stock headlights.
They seem to be very glaring to oncoming traffic even on low beam, and
at the same time I don't feel that I can see particularly well at
night, especially compared to the E-code headlights that I had on my
old 944 (Cibie 7" reflectors with standard everyday Osram 55/60W
bulbs)

Second, get some of the "crystal clear" aftermarket lights like those
sold by various suppliers, example he

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=67

(that's a donkulously expensive price, but if they actually work
better than stock I'd be willing to make that sacrifice.)

Finally, I don't know where to get these, but just last night I saw a
Ford truck with a similar body to mine that appeared to have BMW-style
projector headlights installed in it. It looked like a pre-made
aftermarket assembly. Does anyone know where to get these, and have
any opinions on the performance of the various options that I have
listed above?

thanks much,

nate
Old November 1st 11, 08:07 PM posted to alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 11/01/2011 12:07 PM, N8N wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> as you may know, I own a '93 F-150... which probably has the second
> worst headlights ever foisted on the American driving public, with no
> convenient European version to swap in. (the worst being the
> Volkswagen Corrado, but at least that vehicle is fixable simply by
> getting German-market headlights which are quite good.)
>
> So anyway, my driver's side headlight is starting to show condensation
> inside the assembly, which says to me that a) the reflector is going
> to start to degrade soon,

try this stuff:
http://www.captaintolley.com/

you can get it at west marine. penetrates the seal between the
reflector and the lens and stops the moisture wicking in.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old November 1st 11, 08:19 PM posted to alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech
75yrs.experience

N8N wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> as you may know, I own a '93 F-150... which probably has the second
> worst headlights ever foisted on the American driving public, with no
> convenient European version to swap in. (the worst being the
> Volkswagen Corrado, but at least that vehicle is fixable simply by
> getting German-market headlights which are quite good.)
>
> So anyway, my driver's side headlight is starting to show condensation
> inside the assembly, which says to me that a) the reflector is going
> to start to degrade soon, meaning that I'll be able to see even less
> at night than I was able to before, and b) I probably won't pass my
> next safety inspection without fixing this issue.
>
> I am aware of two options currently - first, get some new stock
> replacement type lights from someone like rockauto, which isn't that
> expensive, but I have a very low opinion of the stock headlights.
> They seem to be very glaring to oncoming traffic even on low beam, and
> at the same time I don't feel that I can see particularly well at
> night, especially compared to the E-code headlights that I had on my
> old 944 (Cibie 7" reflectors with standard everyday Osram 55/60W
> bulbs)
>
> Second, get some of the "crystal clear" aftermarket lights like those
> sold by various suppliers, example he
>
> http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=67
>
> (that's a donkulously expensive price, but if they actually work
> better than stock I'd be willing to make that sacrifice.)
>
> Finally, I don't know where to get these, but just last night I saw a
> Ford truck with a similar body to mine that appeared to have BMW-style
> projector headlights installed in it. It looked like a pre-made
> aftermarket assembly. Does anyone know where to get these, and have
> any opinions on the performance of the various options that I have
> listed above?
>
> thanks much,
>
> nate

I had the same problem with my '99 F-150
I bought a set of lights, headlights and side lights
off of E-Bay and I'm quite happy with them. The set came
with high performance blue bulbs. My truck has 200,000 miles on it,
runs great but needed paint. So, a new paint job and I'm replacing all
the chrome, it looks great. If you go to "F150online.com" my name is
"RoninFlayou'll see the truck.."

--
Theology is an attempt to explain a subject by
men who do not understand it. The intent is not
Old November 1st 11, 10:09 PM posted to alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 11/01/2011 04:19 PM, 75yrs.experience wrote:
> N8N wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> as you may know, I own a '93 F-150... which probably has the second
>> worst headlights ever foisted on the American driving public, with no
>> convenient European version to swap in. (the worst being the
>> Volkswagen Corrado, but at least that vehicle is fixable simply by
>> getting German-market headlights which are quite good.)
>>
>> So anyway, my driver's side headlight is starting to show condensation
>> inside the assembly, which says to me that a) the reflector is going
>> to start to degrade soon, meaning that I'll be able to see even less
>> at night than I was able to before, and b) I probably won't pass my
>> next safety inspection without fixing this issue.
>>
>> I am aware of two options currently - first, get some new stock
>> replacement type lights from someone like rockauto, which isn't that
>> expensive, but I have a very low opinion of the stock headlights.
>> They seem to be very glaring to oncoming traffic even on low beam, and
>> at the same time I don't feel that I can see particularly well at
>> night, especially compared to the E-code headlights that I had on my
>> old 944 (Cibie 7" reflectors with standard everyday Osram 55/60W
>> bulbs)
>>
>> Second, get some of the "crystal clear" aftermarket lights like those
>> sold by various suppliers, example he
>>
>> http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=67
>>
>> (that's a donkulously expensive price, but if they actually work
>> better than stock I'd be willing to make that sacrifice.)
>>
>> Finally, I don't know where to get these, but just last night I saw a
>> Ford truck with a similar body to mine that appeared to have BMW-style
>> projector headlights installed in it. It looked like a pre-made
>> aftermarket assembly. Does anyone know where to get these, and have
>> any opinions on the performance of the various options that I have
>> listed above?
>>
>> thanks much,
>>
>> nate

> I had the same problem with my '99 F-150
> I bought a set of lights, headlights and side lights
> off of E-Bay and I'm quite happy with them. The set came
> with high performance blue bulbs. My truck has 200,000 miles on it,
> runs great but needed paint. So, a new paint job and I'm replacing all
> the chrome, it looks great. If you go to "F150online.com" my name is
> "RoninFlayou'll see the truck.."

my searching skillz must not be too good... which ones did you use, the
"crystal clear" ones? I know one guy who used them and said they were
better than the stock ones at least but I wondered if the projector ones
I saw were better yet.

thanks

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old November 3rd 11, 03:26 PM posted to alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech
Molesworth[_2_]

In article
N8N > wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> as you may know, I own a '93 F-150... which probably has the second
> worst headlights ever foisted on the American driving public, with no
> convenient European version to swap in. (the worst being the
> Volkswagen Corrado, but at least that vehicle is fixable simply by
> getting German-market headlights which are quite good.)
>
> So anyway, my driver's side headlight is starting to show condensation
> inside the assembly, which says to me that a) the reflector is going
> to start to degrade soon, meaning that I'll be able to see even less
> at night than I was able to before, and b) I probably won't pass my
> next safety inspection without fixing this issue.

Drill a hole in the bottom of each lens. No, really. I kept blowing
bulbs and read that it was moisture inside the headlight which caused it.
Making a hole, allowing moisture to drain solved the problem. Although
it is still a crappy headlight!
Old November 3rd 11, 04:18 PM posted to alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 11/03/2011 08:26 AM, Molesworth wrote:
> In article
> >,
> > wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> as you may know, I own a '93 F-150... which probably has the second
>> worst headlights ever foisted on the American driving public, with no
>> convenient European version to swap in. (the worst being the
>> Volkswagen Corrado, but at least that vehicle is fixable simply by
>> getting German-market headlights which are quite good.)
>>
>> So anyway, my driver's side headlight is starting to show condensation
>> inside the assembly, which says to me that a) the reflector is going
>> to start to degrade soon, meaning that I'll be able to see even less
>> at night than I was able to before, and b) I probably won't pass my
>> next safety inspection without fixing this issue.

> Drill a hole in the bottom of each lens. No, really. I kept blowing
> bulbs and read that it was moisture inside the headlight which caused it.
> Making a hole, allowing moisture to drain solved the problem. Although
> it is still a crappy headlight!

draining helps, but it's better to stop the water getting in in the
first place. use that wicking sealant i mentioned to nate, and the
problem disappears.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum

Web Finds BJ Auction last batch 150/227] - 1956 CHEVROLET 150 CUSTOM 2 DOOR HARDTOP 70768 Engine.jpg (1/1) Mike G[_2_] Auto Photos 0 November 24th 08 03:26 PM
New Headlights for '99 GC - OEM or aftermarket? Chip L Jeep 3 November 21st 06 12:46 AM
What is aftermarket petrus BMW 2 May 14th 06 05:13 PM
New 2005/06 F-150 vs 2003 F-150 dash disassembly.. Barry S. Technology 0 January 14th 06 07:07 PM
F-150 owners - Mileage without Engine repair in F-150 Ford Truck zxcvar 4x4 8 December 27th 03 07:17 AM