Water Injection - What does it do?

Old October 16th 05, 08:22 PM
Buzz

Default Water Injection - What does it do?

I remember years ago people were putting water injection kits on their
engines. I beleive it was a water tank with a hose running into
either the air intake near the carb or maybe directly into the intake
manifold. A small oriface metered the amount of water that was sucked
in.

What did it do for the engine? Any affect on gas mileage?

Larry
Old October 17th 05, 03:39 AM
Oppie

I believe that was covered in the 'Popular Mechanics' article that debunked
all of the 'fuel saving' devices tested. Much of this stuff is still being
advertised even though it had only a possible application in carbureted
engines.

Water injection came as an extra measure of high power and ping reduction in
piston engine military airplanes. The throttle (I'm doing this from
memory... it's been a long time) went from idle to cruise to maximum - then
there was a button interlocked further position marked 'WEP' which stood for
War Emergency Power. You used that one only when you were in peril of having
your ass shot off! What it did was open the throttle all the way, increase
the supercharger/ turbo boost and dump about 50 gallons of water into the
intake over the next 3 minutes. The water mist did a couple of things. It
flashed to steam and added an extra measure of compression. It also absorbed
some heat energy in the process of turning to steam which reduced peak
cylinder temperature and reduced pinging.

Neat idea but absolutely has no place in a modern automobile street engine.
Can cause more problems than it could ever hope to fix. Aside from possible
water lock and corrosion, there is also the aspect of how to winterize the
water reservoir. You could add alcohol to it and then it further tips the
cost - benefit scale in the wrong direction.

Just as a point of interest, google for "war emergency power" or 'engine
"water injection"'

Oppie

Old October 17th 05, 04:24 AM
Lane

> Neat idea but absolutely has no place in a modern automobile street
engine.

Well, that depends. On your car as it came from the factory, I would tend
to agree.

But on a very high compression or forced induction motor - that's a
different story.

First paragraph on this page does a good job describing the use:
http://www.volvospeed.com/Reviews/aquamist.htm

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]
---
Visit my Saturn Car Audio and Performance Page at http://www.evilplastic.com

news:1129516614.a1327206a4292cd6f73335ed26a25887@t eranews...

Old October 17th 05, 12:00 PM
marx404

It was covered in PM TV show last week as a debunked gadget along with the
tornado, etc. and they expressed concern over potential damage if not hooked
up correctly. It was used in WWII to extend gas mileage in fighter planes. I
first learned about this in the '80s when an old friend garage built such a
device as designed by his father, a WWII pilot/mech. for his , lol, K-car.
He claimed it worked but never proved it.

marx404

Old October 17th 05, 10:51 PM
Philip Nasadowski

In article <1129516614.a1327206a4292cd6f73335ed26a25887@teran ews>,
"Oppie" > wrote:

> Neat idea but absolutely has no place in a modern automobile street engine.

Wasn't there an olds motor in the 50's that had something like this?
Old October 18th 05, 12:44 AM
Steve Barker LT

You need to get up to speed on water injection. Especially when used on
diesel engines.

--
Steve Barker

Old October 19th 05, 05:21 PM
Oppie

Would you care to point me to some information please? I may be wrong at
times but never wishy-washy <g>.
Oppie

Old October 23rd 05, 08:51 PM
Oppie

In many respects, Water injection works like EGR does in modern street
engines. It lowers the peak combustion temperature under high power and
controls ping. Water inj does have the result of aditional expansion (ie
power) but this is not a fuel saver as you have to supply additional energy
to vaporize the water. Bottom line is that it may improve power but not fuel
economy.

Old October 25th 05, 05:42 PM
Orval Fairbairn

In article >,
"Oppie" > wrote:

> In many respects, Water injection works like EGR does in modern street
> engines. It lowers the peak combustion temperature under high power and
> controls ping. Water inj does have the result of aditional expansion (ie
> power) but this is not a fuel saver as you have to supply additional energy
> to vaporize the water. Bottom line is that it may improve power but not fuel
> economy.
>

> "marx404" > wrote in message
> > It was covered in PM TV show last week as a debunked gadget along with the
> > tornado, etc. and they expressed concern over potential damage if not

> hooked
> > up correctly. It was used in WWII to extend gas mileage in fighter planes.

> > first learned about this in the '80s when an old friend garage built such

> > device as designed by his father, a WWII pilot/mech. for his , lol, K-car.
> > He claimed it worked but never proved it.

The WW-II use of water (usually combined with alcohol) injection was
strictly for detonation suppression at high power settings. It cooled
the charge in the cylinders while the alcohol raised the effective
octane rating of the fuel/air mixture. It certainly did NOT improve fuel
economy and was good only for short duration (full military power).

Note that those aircraft used either superchargers or turbo
superchargers to boost the intake manifold pressure to 60 or more inches
of mercury (15 in is sea level ambient).

Detonation susceptibility increases with charge pressure and temperature
and decreases as octane increases.

Forget about it for improving fuel economy!