Front Rotor Concern, 02 WJ

Old September 9th 06, 01:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Front Rotor Concern, 02 WJ

Hi All,
I went down under to do my first oil change on my '02 Grand Cherokee and to
get acquainted with the underside. I noticed the inboard side of both front
brake rotors appear as if the disc pad is not contacting them completely.
There is some shine/wear around the outside, oh, 3/4 inch or so and it
diminishes to about no wear toward the hub. I sense no braking problem in
the car at all. The outboard side of both rotors is shiny/worn equally as
you'd expect.
I thought I'd ask the group what your opinion of the malady is. I will of
course be pulling the calipers in a couple days to lube the pins and such,
but it seems odd that both sides would develop a problem at the same time.
Do I have a couple bum calipers all at once?
The car has 40K miles on it now. Was about 37,500 when I got her.
As an observation, they, DC, sure placed that oil filter in a bad spot. The
filter on my 93, 4.0 liter was on the passenger side and easily changed from
above. This one is underneath and is sure easy to get a faceful of hot oil
if you're not careful.
Thanks,

Old September 9th 06, 02:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

I believe you are looking at the steel plate that's bonded to the
brake pad, the open distance is how thick it is:
http://www.billhughes.com/WJCaliber.jpg Probably the easiest way to see
the actual thickness is to take the wheel off and look through the
caliper: http://www.billhughes.com/dana25knuckle.jpg
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

Old September 9th 06, 05:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Hi Bill,
No, no the actual brake rotor/disc itself is what I'm talking about. It
shows little or no wear. Mine is not evenly shiny where the pad contacts it
as the one is in the picture you sent.
Thanks.
Denny

Old September 9th 06, 05:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

Sure sounds like the caliper is sticking. It may have caused the other side
to overheat, glaze and/or perhaps warped the rotor.

Do you know if you have the Teves (early '02 black) or Akebono (late '02
Silver) calipers?

Do you get pulsations or shaking during braking?

Any pulling to one side or the other?

Noisy?

You will have to pull the wheel to get a look at it, preferably pull the
caliper too to get a good look

Old September 9th 06, 06:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

Hi Denny,
That's nearly impossible to freeze a piston and not have it drag
and burn: http://www.billhughes.com/WJCaliber.jpg Take her in as see
what a mechanic says.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old September 9th 06, 03:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
RoyJ

To get that wear pattern, there must be some combination of warped rotor
(dished in), bad or misseated pad, or caliper piston cocked over. I'd
tear it down, see what the inboard pads look like. At 40 k miles,
youshould have something like 1/2 wear on the pads, should be very
noticeable.

On the other hand, you may find very little wear, that would point to
frozen mounitng pins.

Old September 9th 06, 03:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_1_]

You can't predict wear according to mileage, unless you know driving style
and where driven. It could be that the calipers are mounted on a slight
slant, to prevent squealing and grabbing, and that the pads just haven't
worn in that far yet. I would take it to a Jeep dealer and ask them if they
have seen it before. Of course, if the performance is good I would resist
buying new calipers, new rotors, new spindles, etc. unless they showed me
some kind of TSB or service manager's bulletin from the manufacturer. Maybe
there is a shim that can be installed.

For the faceful of hot oil buy some metal ramps or build a set out of
stacked two-by-sixes like I have. If you are older like Bill maybe
two-by-tens would be easier to see.

Earle

nk.net...

Old September 9th 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

It's really common up here in the rust belt Bill. The sliders and pins
get corroded and sticky easy. The ends of the pads even wear notches in
the slider jamming them up big time. Then the slider face has to be
rebuilt or replaced. They need a good lube job, better than the factory
does, that's for sure.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old September 9th 06, 10:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Since you mention that Mike, it brings to mind something else I noticed on
this WJ. I wash it in the driveway and notice that in 30 minutes the brake
rotors have patches of rust on the face. It disappears as soon as I drive
any distance, but if the setup is prove to corrosion, then that might be the
problem.
I just went out to look and the calipers are the black ones. Looks like I
might have a $300+ afternoon in the driveway coming up in the near future.
Dangit.
Thanks for all of you guyz input.
Denny

Old September 9th 06, 10:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

That is flash rust, it means nothing...

(every vehicle gets it)