Pesky radiator leak...can't decide what to do

Old November 29th 05, 06:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech

Default Pesky radiator leak...can't decide what to do

I've got a '90 Mazda Protege (173K miles) and it's still in
amazingly good condition, and runs like it did when one-
day old. It's been very well maintained all these years,
which is why I still have it. Here's the deal: I put in a
new after-market radiator last July; last month I noticed
a rather slow leak in the fins somewhere. This radiator
has a two-year warranty I think (still have the paperwork
somewhere), but I can't decide whether to just pull the
thing and take it back to collect on the warranty (assuming
they don't try to dance about something), or just pour a little
of the stop-leak stuff in and hope it seals it. It's been many
years since I used one of these products, and it seemed
at the time to gunk up the radiator some. What would
you guys do? Thanks!

--
O.M.

Old November 29th 05, 07:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech

Replaced the radiator on my accord last summer - had a shop to do it -
was busy at the time - took them 3 radiators before they got one that
did not leak - Hecho in Mexico - Bumper to Bumper product - replace it
cause if you overheat an aluminum block you will also probably warp the
head - really hard to get a head gasket to stay on after the head gets
warped - even if you have a very good machine shop "mill" the head. I
would not take this risk. Oh - carry a couple of gallons of water with
you in case your leak becomes bigger and you get caught on the road.

Old November 29th 05, 07:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech

butch burton wrote:
> Replaced the radiator on my accord last summer - had a shop to do it -
> was busy at the time - took them 3 radiators before they got one that
> did not leak - Hecho in Mexico - Bumper to Bumper product - replace it
> cause if you overheat an aluminum block you will also probably warp the
> head - really hard to get a head gasket to stay on after the head gets
> warped - even if you have a very good machine shop "mill" the head. I
> would not take this risk. Oh - carry a couple of gallons of water with
> you in case your leak becomes bigger and you get caught on the road.

I know you'd like to save a little work, but forget it. Go for the
replacement ASAP. A defect is a defect. It won't get better. You will
feel better and canmove on to the next thing.

Old November 29th 05, 07:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech

"butch burton" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Replaced the radiator on my accord last summer - had a shop to do it -
> was busy at the time - took them 3 radiators before they got one that
> did not leak - Hecho in Mexico - Bumper to Bumper product - replace it
> cause if you overheat an aluminum block you will also probably warp the
> head - really hard to get a head gasket to stay on after the head gets
> warped - even if you have a very good machine shop "mill" the head. I
> would not take this risk. Oh - carry a couple of gallons of water with
> you in case your leak becomes bigger and you get caught on the road.

I agree with you, Butch.. Get another one.

Old November 29th 05, 08:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> I've got a '90 Mazda Protege (173K miles) and it's still in
> amazingly good condition, and runs like it did when one-
> day old. It's been very well maintained all these years,
> which is why I still have it. Here's the deal: I put in a
> new after-market radiator last July; last month I noticed
> a rather slow leak in the fins somewhere. This radiator
> has a two-year warranty I think (still have the paperwork
> somewhere), but I can't decide whether to just pull the
> thing and take it back to collect on the warranty (assuming
> they don't try to dance about something), or just pour a little
> of the stop-leak stuff in and hope it seals it. It's been many
> years since I used one of these products, and it seemed
> at the time to gunk up the radiator some. What would
> you guys do? Thanks!
>
> --
> O.M.

It's under warranty. Replace it. If the stop leak doesn't work, then
you've given the shop a reason to void the warranty and you'll have to buy
yourself another radiator. The stop leak stuff isn't a great idea to use.
If it doesn't stop the leak in your radiator it will eventually find some
place to solidify and whether it's in the radiator or engine, it's blocking
flow either way.

-Bruce

Old November 30th 05, 02:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech

SoCalMike wrote:
> wrote:
> > I've got a '90 Mazda Protege (173K miles) and it's still in
> > amazingly good condition, and runs like it did when one-
> > day old. It's been very well maintained all these years,
> > which is why I still have it. Here's the deal: I put in a
> > new after-market radiator last July; last month I noticed
> > a rather slow leak in the fins somewhere. This radiator
> > has a two-year warranty I think (still have the paperwork
> > somewhere), but I can't decide whether to just pull the
> > thing and take it back to collect on the warranty (assuming
> > they don't try to dance about something), or just pour a little
> > of the stop-leak stuff in and hope it seals it.

> return it. if you use stopleak and it doesnt work perfectly and forever,
> youve just invalidated the warranty. if they dick you around about the
> warranty, then do whatcha like.

Yep, I'm in agreement with you guys. I'm gonna pull it and take
it back. If they try to dance, I'll just politely leave with it and
buy one
somewhere else....and send a letter to headquarters because
I have done nothing to void the warranty. BTW, does Prestone
only sell 50/50 now (at roughly the same price per gallon as they
used to sell 100% before)? I was at K-Mart recently and that's
all I saw. Great gig they've got, i.e. sell half-gallon of anti-freeze
mixed with an equal part water, and keep the price the same!
Thanks!

--
O.M.