Request for suggestions on AC Compressor and Seat assembly

Old June 10th 05, 10:59 AM
danjerguy

Default Request for suggestions on AC Compressor and Seat assembly

Dear Friends,
I own a Ford explorer XLT 2002 and I wonder if someone can help by
providing the proper links or references. Here are my requests:
1- I would like to replacw my car's A/Ccompressor with one of higher
compression. Is there any vendor that I can deal with, or did anybody
replace the compressor and can provide some tech assistance? (Is there any
recomended Ford alternative?).

2- I have always wished that my middle row seats would tilt a little bit
so the kids would be able to sleep at long rides. Now I know that the
Explorer 2005 comes with this feature and I would like someone to help me
out. Can I replace the seat latching mechanizm for Explorer 2002 with the
new one for 2005? Would they fit, or need to do some modification? If any,
what needs to be done?
Thanks all for helping.

Old June 10th 05, 06:18 PM
Big Bill

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 05:59:08 -0400, "danjerguy"
> wrote:

>Dear Friends,
> I own a Ford explorer XLT 2002 and I wonder if someone can help by
>providing the proper links or references. Here are my requests:
>1- I would like to replacw my car's A/Ccompressor with one of higher
>compression. Is there any vendor that I can deal with, or did anybody
>replace the compressor and can provide some tech assistance? (Is there any
>recomended Ford alternative?).

I see possible problems...
First, of course, is the question of whether or not the system will
physically hold the higher pressure.
Then, there's the problem of the capacities of the system being able
to make of the higher pressures, especially considering thaqt the
higher pressure would mean higher temps of the compressed gas. Will
the condenser be able to get rid of the increased heat in the
comressed gas well enough to keep the expansion valve supplied with
liquid instead of gas?

Why do you want increased compression?

--
Big Bill
Replace "g" with "a"
Old June 10th 05, 09:08 PM
danjerguy

Thanks Big Bill. There seems to be lots to consider. The mech. recomended
to replace the compressor, but didn't have a convencing justification.
There reason to replace the compressor is to achieve more cooling when the
engine is idle or at very low speed like in trafic jams. I just find the AC
is comletely not efficient. It doesn't blow cold-enough air to keep the
compartment reasonably cold.

Old June 11th 05, 02:06 AM
John Riggs

Maybe it just needs a fresh charge.

lkaboutautos.com...

Old June 11th 05, 04:12 AM
Hairy

"danjerguy" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> Thanks Big Bill. There seems to be lots to consider. The mech. recomended
> to replace the compressor, but didn't have a convencing justification.
> There reason to replace the compressor is to achieve more cooling when the
> engine is idle or at very low speed like in trafic jams. I just find the

AC
> is comletely not efficient. It doesn't blow cold-enough air to keep the
> compartment reasonably cold.

If your mech suggested a higher pressure compressor, I'd find a new mech.
The first thing I'd check would be the condenser and radiator for partial
blockage. They have to be clean for the fan to pull enough air through them
to work efficiently when idling.
Also check the belt for glazing. It could be slipping.
Another possibility is a door not closing(or opening) all the way in your
heater.
A good A/C man could find your problem quickly if you're willing to spend a
few bucks.

Old June 11th 05, 06:50 AM
Jim Warman

A very good answer, indeed... A properly done performance test will include
checking for any air flow obstructions through the condenser and ensure that
the blend air door is traversing fully from one extreme to the other. Fan
operation will also be tested during this procedure. Observing pressures and
clutch cycling times and comparing these to ambient conditions (both in
regards to temp AND humidity). If a definitive answer cannot be reached
after this test, a recover and recharge is in order. All decent recovery
machines will report both how much refrigerant was removed from the system
(be sure that the tech knows about the ever present R-134 "burp" - more on
that in the next paragraph) as well as how much oil escaped during the
recovery process.

The "burp".... even after the recovery machine pulls the system to vacuum,
we must wait for several minutes before opening the system or performing the
deep vacuum process. Nearly 100% of the time, there will be a sudden surge
in system pressure. The most plausible cause that I have heard is that R134a
will become entrained in the remaining oil as well as the dessicant in the
receiver/drier (R134a is an extremely small molecule, I'm told - hence the
need for barrier hoses and special O-rings when compared to R12). To get a
true reading of the weight of the refrigerant recovered, we need to weigh
the "burp" as well as our first batch.

Once we know how much refrigerant was recovered, we can utilize all the info
we have gathered to come up with our repair strategy.

Increasing the volumetric capability of the compressor without increasing
anything else in the system makes no sense. The orofice tube is sized for
the system... presenting more liquid 134 to the orofice tube will only
increae the head pressure and result in compressor overheating rather than
increased cooling (though some incresed cooling MAY be noticed... until the
compressor pukes - not a cheap fix if you expect warranty on the repair).

While reputable shops will charge more for a repair, the actual cost is
usually less since repeat failures and misdiagnosis are far less prevalent
and are usually handled in a much more responsible manner.

Old June 11th 05, 02:42 PM
Big Bill

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 16:08:43 -0400, "danjerguy"
> wrote:

>Thanks Big Bill. There seems to be lots to consider. The mech. recomended
>to replace the compressor, but didn't have a convencing justification.
>There reason to replace the compressor is to achieve more cooling when the
>engine is idle or at very low speed like in trafic jams. I just find the AC
>is comletely not efficient. It doesn't blow cold-enough air to keep the
>compartment reasonably cold.

I think John & Hairy are giving good advice - have another try at
finding someone to fix the problem.
On our 92 Explorer Sport, that's been changed to the new refrigerant
with the original hardware, even here in Phoenix, the cooling is
adequate at idle & oow speeds, so I would venture a guess that there's
something wrong with your hardware.
Good luck!

--
Big Bill
Replace "g" with "a"
Old June 13th 05, 10:56 AM
danjerguy

Dear all,
Thanks for all the info and help, Ireally appreciate your advice.
Can someone help me on item 2? The seat assembly? This is also important
for me.

Old June 14th 05, 01:20 PM
bob

Old June 16th 05, 12:10 PM
Als

"John Riggs" > wrote in message
news:1118451579.18c36f490c604f3be4fc02c4936e9e57@b ubbanews...
> Maybe it just needs a fresh charge.
>

> "danjerguy" > wrote in message
> lkaboutautos.com...
> | Thanks Big Bill. There seems to be lots to consider. The mech.
> recomended
> | to replace the compressor, but didn't have a convencing justification.
> | There reason to replace the compressor is to achieve more cooling when
> the
> | engine is idle or at very low speed like in trafic jams. I just find the
> AC
> | is comletely not efficient. It doesn't blow cold-enough air to keep the
> | compartment reasonably cold.

Well on the AC I have a couple of sugestions. Is the clutch fan if installed
working properly? If it is slipping a little it will impact how much air is
going through the condensor at idle and low speed. Not enough air and it is
not very efficient. Also is you vehicle running hot or on the work side?
Last ditch install an after market electric fan if all else fails you have
to keep the engine compartment cool so the condenser will function.