Rotating disc brake pads

Old July 24th 05, 10:57 PM
Martik

Default Rotating disc brake pads

Is it advisable to switch pads from the left to the right wheel to even out
wear. The pads are worn 1/4" on one side and approx 1/8 on the other.

Old July 24th 05, 11:15 PM
Shep

Don't do this, they are seated to the surface of the rotor and should not be
moved.

Old July 24th 05, 11:21 PM
Martik

"Shep" > wrote in message
> Don't do this, they are seated to the surface of the rotor and should not
> be moved.

Thanks, I was also thinking the stress on the high point of the pad (after
switching) may cause it to fracture.

Old July 24th 05, 11:49 PM
JazzMan

Martik wrote:

> Is it advisable to switch pads from the left to the right wheel to even out
> wear. The pads are worn 1/4" on one side and approx 1/8 on the other.

No. Find out why the one side wore faster, likely the caliper
is either frozen or sticking, or the slider pins are seized.

JazzMan
Please reply to jsavage"at"airmail.net.
Curse those darned bulk e-mailers!
Old July 25th 05, 12:00 PM
Al Bundy

JazzMan wrote:
> Martik wrote:
> >
> > Is it advisable to switch pads from the left to the right wheel to even out
> > wear. The pads are worn 1/4" on one side and approx 1/8 on the other.

> No. Find out why the one side wore faster, likely the caliper
> is either frozen or sticking, or the slider pins are seized.
>
> JazzMan
> --
> ************************************************** ********
> Please reply to jsavage"at"airmail.net.
> Curse those darned bulk e-mailers!
> ************************************************** ********
> "Rats and roaches live by competition under the laws of
> supply and demand. It is the privilege of human beings to
> live under the laws of justice and mercy." - Wendell Berry
> ************************************************** ********

The poster refuses to say what kind of vehicle he's talking about or
how much mileage he has on those pads. Sometimes that wear pattern will
occur every time with certain designs and there is nothing wrong with
the installation or maintenance. If he got 50,000 miles off them it
means one thing and if he got 12,000 it means something else.
Don't even ask whether they are front or rear.

Old July 25th 05, 07:55 PM
Martik

93 Nissan Altima, Rear, at least 100,000 kms and 6-7 years on the pads. Did
not think the info was relevant but your 'kind' words convinced me
otherwise.

oups.com...

Old July 25th 05, 10:04 PM
Al Bundy

Martik wrote:
> 93 Nissan Altima, Rear, at least 100,000 kms and 6-7 years on the pads. Did
> not think the info was relevant but your 'kind' words convinced me
> otherwise.
>
> "Al Bundy" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >

> > JazzMan wrote:

> >> No. Find out why the one side wore faster, likely the caliper
> >> is either frozen or sticking, or the slider pins are seized.
> >>
> >> JazzMan
> >> --
> >> ************************************************** ********
> >> Please reply to jsavage"at"airmail.net.
> >> Curse those darned bulk e-mailers!
> >> ************************************************** ********
> >> "Rats and roaches live by competition under the laws of
> >> supply and demand. It is the privilege of human beings to
> >> live under the laws of justice and mercy." - Wendell Berry
> >> ************************************************** ********

> > The poster refuses to say what kind of vehicle he's talking about or
> > how much mileage he has on those pads. Sometimes that wear pattern will
> > occur every time with certain designs and there is nothing wrong with
> > the installation or maintenance. If he got 50,000 miles off them it
> > means one thing and if he got 12,000 it means something else.
> > Don't even ask whether they are front or rear.

In that case you just need a fresh brake job with NEW parts.

Old July 28th 05, 03:57 PM
Matt

Martik wrote:
> Is it advisable to switch pads from the left to the right wheel to even out
> wear. The pads are worn 1/4" on one side and approx 1/8 on the other.

I would think that such rotation might lead to galling of the caliper
cylinders by the pistons.
Old July 29th 05, 04:15 AM
Proctologically Violated©®

****, I don't think I ever came even close to those numbers w/ my pads.