Need help with 2002 Passat GLX problems

Old December 1st 04, 07:04 AM
Kagan Gokbayrak

Default Need help with 2002 Passat GLX problems

Hi all,

I got some problems with my car, and need some advice.

1. Last night the trunk opened with a loud click, then I closed it to
reopen. And now it does not open. The trunk button on the remote
works, I hear it trying to open. I use the key but it just won't open.
It is 35F outside, would the lock freeze at this temperature? I am
thinking about bringing it in to a dealer, but how would they open it
without destroying my trunk lid? Is there a way to open it from
inside?

2. The other day I changed the air filter, and it was a pain. For such
a common task, I had to remove many parts yet it still did not give me
enough space to put the filter in. Finally I managed to install the
filter, but I am still not comfortable because the air filter cover
gave me a hardtime closing. Is there a way to know if the filter is in
its place?

3. Last night I also realized that the "daytime running" lightbulb in
the right headlight is out. It is not easy to access, I will have to
remove all those parts again . These things should be easy to
replace, what would I do if it happened on the highway? By the way, I
did not see the specs for the light bulb in the manual. Does anyone
know?

4. The car has 33K miles on it. During the 20K service, I was told
that the brake pads had 15% left in the front and 20% left in the
rear. I still don't have a problem with the brakes, no light is coming
on or I do not hear any noise. How long do these brake pads last?

Thanks for your help,
Kagan
Old December 2nd 04, 01:40 PM
John H

You can get decent information about lights from:
http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...lacementGuide/
My 2001 Passat GLX had the trunk solenoid fail the second week, apparently
an high failure item (at least the factory original). I suspect that the
cold weather is a coincident. The low beam failed on my car and I replaced
it 3 years ago. Both the trunk solenoid and low beam (in fact all the
lights) still work fine. And I think that removing the air filter and right
head light are awkward, but not so bad once I knew how to do them.
John

om...

Old December 2nd 04, 01:40 PM
John H

2002 330xi AM radio problems JDM BMW 0 January 16th 05 03:26 AM
Early 2002 Passat: compatable CD changer? Bert Hyman VW water cooled 8 November 17th 04 03:03 AM
2002 Passat engine guard Robb VW water cooled 1 September 22nd 04 10:50 PM