95 sl2 engine clicking

Old April 29th 05, 10:50 PM
matthew robinson via CarKB.com

Default 95 sl2 engine clicking

at 126k miles my engine has started clicking until rpms hit 3500, mainly
idle and 1,2,3 gear. the pulleys and water pump cannot be causing the
problem had them replaced winter of 2004. does anyone know what might be
wrong and how much it costs to fix? trying to sell the car and dont want to
sell it to some only to have it die on them.
thank you for your time
Old May 1st 05, 12:58 AM
Napalm Heart

"matthew robinson via CarKB.com" > wrote in
message ...
> at 126k miles my engine has started clicking until rpms hit 3500,

mainly
> idle and 1,2,3 gear. the pulleys and water pump cannot be causing

the
> problem had them replaced winter of 2004. does anyone know what

might be
> wrong and how much it costs to fix? trying to sell the car and dont

want to
> sell it to some only to have it die on them.
> thank you for your time

More details (year, model, standard or auto trans), please.

Old May 1st 05, 07:47 AM
matthew robinson via CarKB.com

1995, SL1 not 2 sry, standard 5spd, 126K miles

Old May 1st 05, 11:20 PM
Napalm Heart

"matthew robinson via CarKB.com" > wrote in message
> 1995, SL1 not 2 sry, standard 5spd, 126K miles

You need to try to isolate where the noise is coming from. There are
mechanic's stethoscopes available, but I've had good results from a
piece of 1"X1" putting the end of the piece of wood where you suspect
the noise to be coming from and listening on the other end. Noises
easily 'telegraph' through engines.

Does it seem to affect the operation of the engine when the clicking
is happening?

Ken

Old May 2nd 05, 10:35 PM
Lane

If it's like this, it's likely a spun bearing:

http://www.evilplastic.com/sounds/knock.wav

This sound disappeared at high RPM and under load, but was quite noticeable
at idle or cruising speed.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]
---
Visit my Saturn Car Audio and Performance Page at http://www.evilplastic.com

Old May 6th 05, 04:56 PM
matthew robinson via CarKB.com

the noise isnt that loud and isnt there at cruising speed. about how much
do you think that would be to get replaced?

to ken, ill give the 1x1 a try and no it doesnt effect operation, idle rpms
are steady.

Old May 7th 05, 04:10 AM
Napalm Heart

"matthew robinson via CarKB.com" > wrote in message
> the noise isnt that loud and isnt there at cruising speed. about how

much
> do you think that would be to get replaced?
>

> to ken, ill give the 1x1 a try and no it doesnt effect operation,

idle rpms
> are steady.

I have to wonder if it could be an exhaust leak at where the manifold
and the head mate.

Ken (MI)

Old May 8th 05, 04:01 PM
matthew robinson via CarKB.com

wouldnt that make an air leak noise not knocking?

Old May 9th 05, 01:11 PM
Napalm Heart

"matthew robinson via CarKB.com" > wrote in message
> wouldnt that make an air leak noise not knocking?

I thought you had said a "clicking" noise in your OP. An exhaust leak
can sometimes sound like a ticking or clicking noise to me. A
knocking noise, now that's something different. If not a crank
bearing, maybe a broken piston? My (now my son's) '96 SL2 had a
knocking noise that turned out to be the #2 piston had pieces broken
out of the edge. It was a repo car that I got cheap, but it truned
out to not have been too well maintained. A $700 junkyard '97 motor
fixed the problem.

Ken