Torque Converter clutch won't stay locked up

Old March 5th 05, 02:37 AM
John Riggs

I went to boot there, but I was assigned to the U.S.S. John F. Kennedy
before I transferred to the U.S. Army.

ups.com...

Old March 5th 05, 02:47 AM
Craig

Oops. Meant recreational sailing and cruising on the Great Lakes around
Michigan. I was US Army 67-70 and wish I had been on the Kennedy. Less
mud:-)

Old March 6th 05, 10:51 PM
Craig

Hey dr bob. Try this on for size. As fussy as I am, and careful about
service, I checked my radiator and found my coolant down almost one
gallon. The plastic overflow tank had a stain that I took for the fluid
level, but it was empty. How I let it go this long, I don't know.
Anyway, I'm thinking that it's really possible that this was causing
the tranny problems. There may be a temperature sensor that was getting
either 1) no coolant to it, or 2) only steam to it. Could this possibly
give mixed signals to the computer and cause the TCC problems? My temp
guage operated properly in the normal range. I haven't had a chance to
go out and test drive it, but will tomorrow and see if the problem
cleared up. I will also try to find out where the coolant is going. I
know it's not going into the transmission, and don't suspect the
engine, either, but likely a slow leak radiator-wise. Whatever is is,
it's realively slow.

Old March 7th 05, 05:38 AM
John Riggs

Let me know when you get an answer....I want to know this one too ('92
EB)

oups.com...

Old March 7th 05, 12:42 PM
Craig

Got an answer this morning when I drove to work. Outside temp about 45
degrees. TCC locked up right away at 47 mph. About 5 miles down the
road it unlocked, and would not lock again. So here we
are............square one.

Old March 10th 05, 12:31 AM
Craig

I may have found the problem and fixed it. As I was going into town
today, the TCC unlocked again. I redirected immediately to my
transmission shop and they attached the code reader and analyzer. It
came up 186, I believe, and they said that was showing a problem with
either the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) or the Mass Air Flow Sensor
(MAF). I went home an checked out the TPS (OK), and removed the
filament block for the MAF and found them severely caked with dirt and
gunk.

Having cleaned the filaments before when the engine was pinging and not
running properly, out came the Throttle Body Cleaner and my small, soft
artists brush. I very carefully cleaned the filaments and reinstalled
the block and connectors. After a test drive the transmission appears
to shift properly and lock up right on schedule - and stay locked up
while cruising. I'll give it another shot tomorrow on the highway.

I wasn't aware that the MAF signal affected TCC lockup, but they say
it's part of the mix of data used. I'll follow up in a few days and let
you know if that did it for sure.

(If this is a duplicate, it's because I had a problem posting it the
first time - sorry)

Old March 12th 05, 01:14 AM
Craig

Looks like the dirty MAF sensor was the curprit. Lockup is fine now.
Lost the spark knock/rattle, too. Oh yeah, loose radiator hose clamp
was the problem with the coolant loss. Dribbled down to a crossmember
and dispersed, so it never showed up on the garage floor. Whew. All set
for another 190,000 miles............

Old March 14th 05, 07:10 AM
Just_Steve

Thanks for posting the resolution Craig.

oups.com...

Old March 23rd 05, 09:05 PM
Craig

Just wanted you all to know that it has been a week, two long highway
trips, and a lot of other local driving. No more problems.The MAF
sensor was absolutely the problem, and cleaning it resolved the
problem. Now if I could just find out how I screwed up my cruise
control (posted elsewhere).......

Old March 24th 05, 01:55 AM
John Riggs

Just for the sake of argument, what is wrong with your cruise control?

oups.com...