"Clanking" noise on left only turns

Old February 22nd 06, 11:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default "Clanking" noise on left only turns

I own a 2005 Hyundai Tiburon with 15k. I am hearing a "clanking" sound on
slow speed left only turns. This noise occurs when the wheel is 1/3 - 1/4 the
way cocked left and happens in both drive and reverse. The noise is sporadic
and doesn't seem to pattern temperature, moisture, etc... It is under
warranty and the dealership has given up. Their best explanation it that
thereis an "over-turn stopper" that is rubbing due to me over-turning. This
can be the case since I'm exhibiting this noise at non-full left turn and
nothing on right turns. Any ideas what to do next?

-Craig
Old February 22nd 06, 11:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"Tibby05" <u19004@uwe> wrote in news:5c4806afc7052@uwe:

> I own a 2005 Hyundai Tiburon with 15k. I am hearing a "clanking" sound
> on slow speed left only turns. This noise occurs when the wheel is 1/3
> - 1/4 the way cocked left and happens in both drive and reverse. The
> noise is sporadic and doesn't seem to pattern temperature, moisture,
> etc... It is under warranty and the dealership has given up. Their
> best explanation it that thereis an "over-turn stopper" that is
> rubbing due to me over-turning. This can be the case since I'm
> exhibiting this noise at non-full left turn and nothing on right
> turns. Any ideas what to do next?

Inspect the outer CV joints.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old February 22nd 06, 11:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

On 2006-02-22, Tibby05 <u19004@uwe> wrote:

> slow speed left only turns. This noise occurs when the wheel is 1/3 - 1/4 the
> way cocked left and happens in both drive and reverse. The noise is sporadic

Sounds like a bad CV joint.

> warranty and the dealership has given up.

.....or just doesn't want to be hassled with warranty work. Have
someone look at it, then have your dealer fix it.

nb
Old February 23rd 06, 12:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

If you are in the US, ask to meet with the district rep and tell him if the
car isn't fixed you will enter arbitration to return it.

Old February 23rd 06, 01:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Tibby05 wrote:

> I own a 2005 Hyundai Tiburon with 15k. I am hearing a "clanking" sound on
> slow speed left only turns. This noise occurs when the wheel is 1/3 - 1/4 the
> way cocked left and happens in both drive and reverse. The noise is sporadic
> and doesn't seem to pattern temperature, moisture, etc... It is under
> warranty and the dealership has given up. Their best explanation it that
> thereis an "over-turn stopper" that is rubbing due to me over-turning. This
> can be the case since I'm exhibiting this noise at non-full left turn and
> nothing on right turns. Any ideas what to do next?
>
> -Craig

Sounds similar to the noise we get in any Honda AWD vehicle, when the
Dual Pump Fluid in the rear differential gets exhausted, around
25-30,000 miles. One litre of fresh fluid fixes the horrible grinding /
shuddering sounds.

A Tiburon doesn't have AWD, does it :-)

'Curly'