"Bolt through condensor" on 2000 Accord?

Old July 16th 07, 04:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Pete from Boston

Default "Bolt through condensor" on 2000 Accord?

I'm looking at a 2000 Accord that has no cooling in the A/C. The
owner says their mechanic told them something about a "bolt went
through the condensor," causing the refrigerant to leak out, something
that would cost about $300 to fix. I've never had a good look in the
condensor, so I don't know what goes on in there, and I don't know
what this means. Does anyone else?

Old July 16th 07, 05:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
duckbill

The condenser is the part of the AC that looks like a radiator in front of
the vehicle. $300 sounds like a temporary patch job at best. It might
even work for a year after the repair? The oil in Honda's AC system is
hydroscopic which means it absorbes moisture. How much of that oil is
still in the system. When a system has a major leak, the oil usually
exits the system along with the refrigerant......For certain you will need
a condenser and receiver dryer; what about the compressor? Did ir run at
all while low on oil....it might also need to be replaced. What about
flushing the system? Check all of this out with a reputable AC shop and
see what they tell you. It might be more like $1,800 or more for this
repair if it's done right. Good luck.

Old July 16th 07, 06:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Woody[_1_]

The condenser in up front in front of the radiator so is a catchall for all
flying debree. It is very common for a hole to be punched in the condenser
in today's cars as the material it is being made of is getting thinner all
the time.....

oups.com...

Old July 17th 07, 04:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Michael Pardee

"Pete from Boston" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I'm looking at a 2000 Accord that has no cooling in the A/C. The
> owner says their mechanic told them something about a "bolt went
> through the condensor," causing the refrigerant to leak out, something
> that would cost about $300 to fix. I've never had a good look in the
> condensor, so I don't know what goes on in there, and I don't know
> what this means. Does anyone else?

Just as Woody says, an increasingly common road hazard thing in many cars.
More commonly rocks kicked up ahead of you on the highway will be the
culprit, but this time it was a bolt. It could have broken your windshield
but it hit lower this time.

The price sounds right. Painful, but right. If that includes the recharge
(it certainly should) it is really a good price.

Mike

Old July 17th 07, 04:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Art[_1_]

Might be covered by comprehensive insurance.

.. .

Old July 18th 07, 03:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Michael Pardee

"Art" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Might be covered by comprehensive insurance.

Good point!