Passat 2002 - Brake Lights out! Replaced 2 bulbs

Old July 19th 05, 04:21 AM
Scott Townsend

Default Passat 2002 - Brake Lights out! Replaced 2 bulbs

I have a 2002 Passat Wagon v6 4Motion and the brake lights no longer work.
One of the 2 Lower back lights was broken. I cant seem to get to the Light
that is in the hatch.

I've replaced both of the lower lights and the Break lights still do not
work. I've looked at the fuse block on the driver side (is there another?)
and the fuse card is not obvious as to which is the break lights. I did a
visual inspection on all 40 something of them and they all look good.

What might I try next?

Thanks,
Scott<-

Old July 19th 05, 12:03 PM
Woodchuck

if the 3rd brake light is also out, then I would check the brake light
switch.

news

Old July 19th 05, 12:07 PM
One out of many daves

So none of the brake lights work?
Try replacing the brake light switch or at least check it.

I have seen wiring break in areas where they bend frequently due to opening
and closing doors or hatches.
good luck!
--
later,
dave

Old July 19th 05, 02:37 PM
Scott Townsend

I've taken out the Brake light Switch and it seems to be functioning fine.
I hooked it up to a meter and when I press it I get continuity. Park release
also works which also is tied to the brake switch. So I think I'm good
there...

Though I dont know which wires do what, so I'm not 100% sure if the thing
works. Is there a pinout for the wires going into the switch?

Is there a fuse or relay associated with the brake lights? I cant seem to
find one.

Thanks,
Scott<-

Old July 20th 05, 01:39 PM
One out of many daves

Are you sure you looked at the brake light switch? I thought when there was
NO pressure on it there is continuity. That sounds more like maybe the
cruise control brake switch.
Did you check it's wiring plug to make sure you have power at the plug?

Yes there should be a fuse for the stop/brake lights. I am not sure which
one on your 2002 but it should be indicated on your fuse box cover or
possibly in your owner's manual.

good luck,
dave
(One out of many daves)

m...

Old July 21st 05, 10:11 PM
Scott Townsend

I found a link on the VWVortex.com site that detailed on how to replace the
BL Switch, so I'm pretty sure it is the right one. Though I guess there are
2 leads from the switch. One for releasing the car from Park and one for the
Lights. I only got continuity on 1 of the 2.

I looked at the cover of the fuse panel and none of the icons on it looked
like Brake Lights to me...

I took the Car to the dealer yesterday and they confirmed it was the Brake
Switch that was bad. They fixed it without charging me...

Thanks all for your input,
Scott<-

"One out of many daves" > wrote in message
> Are you sure you looked at the brake light switch? I thought when there
> was
> NO pressure on it there is continuity. That sounds more like maybe the
> cruise control brake switch.
> Did you check it's wiring plug to make sure you have power at the plug?
>
> Yes there should be a fuse for the stop/brake lights. I am not sure which
> one on your 2002 but it should be indicated on your fuse box cover or
> possibly in your owner's manual.
>
> good luck,
> dave
> (One out of many daves)
>
> "Scott Townsend" > wrote in message
> m...
>> I've taken out the Brake light Switch and it seems to be functioning
>> fine.
>> I hooked it up to a meter and when I press it I get continuity. Park

> release
>> also works which also is tied to the brake switch. So I think I'm good
>> there...
>>
>> Though I dont know which wires do what, so I'm not 100% sure if the thing
>> works. Is there a pinout for the wires going into the switch?
>>
>> Is there a fuse or relay associated with the brake lights? I cant seem
>> find one.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Scott<-
>>
>> "One out of many daves" > wrote in message
>> > So none of the brake lights work?
>> > Try replacing the brake light switch or at least check it.
>> >
>> > I have seen wiring break in areas where they bend frequently due to
>> > opening
>> > and closing doors or hatches.
>> > good luck!
>> > --
>> > later,
>> > dave
>> > One out of many daves.
>> >
>> > "Scott Townsend" > wrote in message
>> > news >> >> I have a 2002 Passat Wagon v6 4Motion and the brake lights no longer

> not

turning off the brake and anti-lock warning lights [email protected] Ford Explorer 12 July 12th 05 04:36 PM
Brake lights, door lights and trunk light come on [email protected] Honda 1 April 18th 05 10:26 PM
Brake lights fail / tails lights on permanently [email protected] Alfa Romeo 2 April 6th 05 01:51 PM
Brake lights Busdriver VW air cooled 4 December 15th 04 06:42 PM
2002 Passat engine guard Robb VW water cooled 1 September 22nd 04 10:50 PM