Certified Pre-Owned Useless

Old July 19th 05, 06:43 AM
Lorne Dyke

Default Certified Pre-Owned Useless

I bought an '02 S4 Certified Pre-Owned from Stevens Creek Audi (Bethel
Motors) in the SF Bay Area a couple years ago. The warranty, albeit with
deductible, and road side assistance to 100k miles was an attractive
feature. I finally had to use the road side assistance, and Audi NA
"customer care", and have found it useless! I had a flat tire in SoCal and
tried to install the compact spare which came with the car. Problem was the
spare was 4-lug and didn't even fit over the S4's front brake calipers to
mate with the 5-lug rotor. Called for road side assistance...no help after 1
1/2 hours and I had to leave my car for another ride. After getting my flat
fixed I called Audi NA "customer care" about the spare, and after 3
follow-up calls regarding my assigned case number I have not had a call back
in 3 weeks! So still no spare tire. Useless I say!

Old July 19th 05, 07:16 AM
Wolfgang Pawlinetz

Lorne Dyke wrote:

>"customer care", and have found it useless! I had a flat tire in SoCal and
>tried to install the compact spare which came with the car. Problem was the
>spare was 4-lug and didn't even fit over the S4's front brake calipers to
>mate with the 5-lug rotor.

Ouch. That's bad. So there is a wrong spare wheel in your car?
Strange.

>Called for road side assistance...no help after 1
>1/2 hours and I had to leave my car for another ride. After getting my flat
>fixed I called Audi NA "customer care" about the spare, and after 3
>follow-up calls regarding my assigned case number I have not had a call back
>in 3 weeks! So still no spare tire. Useless I say!

Well, honestly I think it's a shame that they didn't help you when you
needed road side assistance, but legally I think your case lies with
the Audi Dealer that sold you a car with a clearly wrong spare wheel.
In those couple years, you never ever took a look at the spare wheel?

Regards

Wolfgang
Old July 20th 05, 03:55 AM
Lorne Dyke

Wolfgang,
I'm embarrassed to say I routinely checked and adjusted air pressure in the
spare, and unloaded / loaded it when driving in my three ACNA/BMWCCA
"Performance Driving School" weekends. It never occurred to me that the bolt
pattern could be wrong for the car! I'll have to stop rushing to get on the
track and actually look at my equipment closer!
- Lorne

Old July 20th 05, 04:03 PM
Art M

"Wolfgang Pawlinetz" > wrote in message
> Lorne Dyke wrote:

> In those couple years, you never ever took a look at the spare wheel?
>
> Regards
>
> Wolfgang

That's nothing. I bought my 2 year old A4 from a guy who had never opened
the hood.

--Art

Old July 20th 05, 05:52 PM
Steve Sears

Lorne,
Not that I'd blame you, but could you/someone else accidentally taken the
wrong spare tire when you had it out during the School? IME, there's a lot
of "ugly steel spares" being tossed around in prep for those events. Odds
are that there's a driving school student driving around with a 5-hole S4
spare in the trunk of their 4-lug car.
Cheers!
Steve Sears
1987 Audi 5kTQ
1980 Audi 5k
1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes
(SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

Old July 22nd 05, 06:38 AM
Lorne Dyke

Steve,
Turns out the '02 S4 sold in the USA was equipped with a full size spare. I
only learned this today after contact from the dealer (at long last). They
admitted the full size spare must have been removed for another car, and
replaced with the new INCORRECT compact spare.

~ Lorne
'02 S4 (H&R coil overs, Neuspeed rear anti-sway, Ronal LZ's, Reiger aero)
'99 528iT (Dinan S1, BBS RK's, Wilwood 4 piston calipers)

.. .

Old July 25th 05, 06:15 PM
Steve Sears

Lorne,
Did they also say, "OOPS!" and "sorry"?
They should have.....

Old July 28th 05, 02:19 AM
MDC

I bought a CPO 2001 A6 2.7T with the sport package about 6 months ago. I
noticed the spare was not a real wheel, but a "donut." The dealer told me
the sport package cars did not come with full size spares because the large
rim does not fit in the space for the spare. This weekend I got a flat and
put the donut on. Then I noticed the full-size tire fits in the spare
space. Was the dealer's story a lie?

Anybody know whether my car was originally equipped with a full-size rim &
tire?

Old July 28th 05, 03:21 PM
Steve Sears

MDC,
You'd be well-advised to ask on the A6 forum on Audiworld, there'd be more
folks there with similar cars - I'd venture to say that it would be
"originally equipped" with whatever was in the trunk, since it makes no
sense to ship the cars from Germany (/Hungary/?) with nothing in the place
of the spare, and then ship a container-full of spare tires. Of course,
this does not apply to Lorne's case, unless the wrong tire was put in at the
factory (hey, it happens, I've seen such a mixup at a different manufacturer
=> rear axles placed on one truck forward in the line for half of a shift,
error noticed when wheel bolt pattern did not match). The story you were
given about the reasoning for the donut does not ring true (obviously, if
the fs tire fits....) - it's more likely that, given the number of different
wheel options the buyer is given, it makes more $en$e to put a generic spare
in there, where all they'd have to do is match the bolt pattern. It's nice
to have a FS spare (mostly because you can drive as normal to the repair
centre), but most of the time people forget to keep it inflated, and it's
flat when they need it a few years down the road. Quattro and many AWD
systems don't really take kindly to throwing an untravelled spare tire into
tire rotations, not to mention directional tread patterns (this is my left
side spare, that's my right side spare?). Some manufacturers are deleting
the spare tire altogether, opting for a "spare-in-a-can"
inflator/patch.....and there's "run flat" tires.......