1300 to 1600

Old January 6th 05, 05:39 PM
Joao Eliseu

Default 1300 to 1600

Im thinking on upgrade my 1300 DP to a 1600 DP for 20 years...at least.
The engine was rebuilt 12 years ago and since I made about 10 000KM (6250 miles).
At the time I putted used pistons and cylinders because of the money, so I dont
need to rebuild the engine only take of the cooling surround, the heads and pistons.
I never pull out the engine so I also dont know if I will try to do it myself.
I will ask the price to a guy, whish his job is beetle engines rebuilding to know
if I will save any money.
My questions are the following:
1- Do I only have to buy new cylinders pistons and heads and valves? Can I use the
some rocker shafts and springs for example?
2- Want tools do I need? (this is my first concern)
3- I want to keep my stock Carb Solex 31 pic to keep the stock looking
4- Can we feel a hard difference between a 1300 and a 1600?

Thanks in advance
Joao
Old January 6th 05, 06:45 PM

>The 1300 heads can be machined larger for the 1600 cylinders. If they
>are otherwise in good shape,
>then you can keep using them.

Thanks for the reply

I know, that you know how machine them, but I don't know if I can find any one with
the information to do that.
I have to think about that

Joao
Old January 6th 05, 07:04 PM
Joao Eliseu

tricky > wrote:
><snip>
>

>>>4- Can we feel a hard difference between a 1300 and a 1600?

>Hi
>
>I just got myself a 68 bay bus at the end of last year. The engine,
>1600 (AS), sp was bad (leaking oil - end play ).
>
>I took it out and put a 1300 DP (AB) out or one of my beetles in it.
>
>Up till then my daily driver was a split bus with a 1600 SP (B) engine.
>

>I feel the 1300 DP in the bay has MUCH more bottom end grunt !
>
>Dont know why - It surprised me too !!!
>
>Probly isnt what you wanted to hear :-)
>

>Rich

I think that the best I have to do is:

1- News 1300 dome pistons and cylinders (I have flat ones now)
2- Rebuild the carb
3- Check the valve guides

to have my 44HP back again

Joao

Old January 6th 05, 07:36 PM
Jan Andersson

Joao Eliseu wrote:

> Im thinking on upgrade my 1300 DP to a 1600 DP for 20 years...at least.
> The engine was rebuilt 12 years ago and since I made about 10 000KM (6250 miles).
> At the time I putted used pistons and cylinders because of the money, so I dont
> need to rebuild the engine only take of the cooling surround, the heads and pistons.
> I never pull out the engine so I also dont know if I will try to do it myself.
> I will ask the price to a guy, whish his job is beetle engines rebuilding to know
> if I will save any money.
> My questions are the following:
> 1- Do I only have to buy new cylinders pistons and heads and valves? Can I use the
> some rocker shafts and springs for example?

The 1300 heads can be machined larger for the 1600 cylinders. If they
are otherwise in good shape,
then you can keep using them.

> 2- Want tools do I need? (this is my first concern)

Uhh. That's a long list. Nothing too special, basic tools mostly.
Depending on what else you want to do.

> 3- I want to keep my stock Carb Solex 31 pic to keep the stock looking

The 1600 dual port engine came with a bigger diameter intake manifold
and 34mm carburator.

> 4- Can we feel a hard difference between a 1300 and a 1600?

I don't think there would be a BIG differnece. Better low end power, but
restricted higher rpm performance.

Jan
Old January 6th 05, 07:51 PM
tricky

<snip>

Old January 6th 05, 08:17 PM
tricky

Not shure about the domed pistons ? I think I read somewhere it's not
so good !

anyone can confirm this ?

Rich

Old January 6th 05, 08:34 PM
Jan Andersson

tricky wrote:

> Not shure about the domed pistons ? I think I read somewhere it's not
> so good !
>
> anyone can confirm this ?
>
> Rich

It depends on the rest of the engine and gasoline available.
The factory built thousands of 1300 engines with domed pistons. Stock
items. Just hard to find.

Jan
Old January 6th 05, 10:24 PM
Joao Eliseu

>It depends on the rest of the engine and gasoline available.
>The factory built thousands of 1300 engines with domed pistons. Stock
>items. Just hard to find.
>
>Jan

My engine come stock with dome pistons. I saw them. I think that all AB engines
come with those pistons. When a friend of mine opened the engine 12 years ago, they
here completely damage. Two rings here broken, but it started always at first time.
1 Litre of oil witch 1000 km. One guy sold me used flat pistons to rebuild the engine.
I think that the compression is not the same. I think that I can find dome pistons
somewhere. I have here gasoline with 95 and 98 RON so that is not a problem and
on the door of the gas cap, it says that it can work with 91 RON.

Joao

Old January 8th 05, 11:17 PM
Joao Eliseu

>The 1300 heads can be machined larger for the 1600 cylinders. If they
>are otherwise in good shape,
>then you can keep using them.

That is what I'm going to do. Next Saturday I will take my care to make a few repairs
and also to put new pistons 1600. The heads will be machined and the valve guides
checked. I will put back the thermostat on the cooling system
I will get you know the result.
On the end of the month it will run as a 1600.

Joao
72 Super 1302 (1285cc for now)