'90 Audi 90 - No heater valve?

Old December 28th 04, 09:25 PM
~ ElektraMan ~

Default '90 Audi 90 - No heater valve?

Does anyone know if my Audi 90 should have a heater valve? I can't see that
it does. If so where is it located? I've followed the heater hose to the
firewall and there is no valve on the hose. Is this correct? Or am I looking
in the wrong area? I replaced one in my Audi 100 so I have a general idea
where it should be but it's not there. Any help would be appreciated.

TIA,
Steve

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a
miracle. The other is as if everything is."

.....Albert Einstein

Old December 28th 04, 10:29 PM
Tony

There are two hoses. Supply and return. On T44s the control valve is a white
plastic part with a vacuum line to it, located just behind the engine's head.

The plastic ones break so it may have been replaced with a steel one.

Tony

Old December 29th 04, 03:52 PM
~ ElektraMan ~

Thanks Tony,

I know what the T44's heater valve looks like. I've had experience with one
failing. As far as I know the 90's heater valve should be identical.

I'm looking for the heater valve on my Audi 90 model. So far I can't find
it, strange as it seems. I've followed the supply hose from the thermostat
flange to the firewall. No heater valve. I've looked up what the heater
valve for the 90 is supposed to look like and evidently its supposed to be
the same one as the T44's. The car is not producing much heat to the cabin
so that has been my inspiration to investigate the heater valve status.
Maybe that it was removed at one time and never replaced? The car was
originally located in San Antonio TX so heat would not have been a big
concern. Where SHOULD these be located in the 90 model?

TIA,
Steve

Old December 29th 04, 07:59 PM
Tony

I called a friend who is an independent mechanic for audis.

He said that the 90s had, in some cases moved the heater control valve back into
the heater box with the coil. Rather fun to get at.

The B5 chassis (later) went with an always-on system where the heat was
controlled entirely by the air flaps.

His guess is that it is more likely that the heater control flaps are the source
of your problem. If you are familiar with the T44s the complex vacuum system
for flap control is a source of many hours of mechanical challenge. If your
system is vacuum operated you should check for leaks or inoperative vacuum relays.

Tony

Audi Picture R. de Jong Audi 0 December 18th 04 09:28 AM
audi facts may be of interest news.blueyonder.co.uk Audi 0 October 28th 04 01:35 PM
audi cd for pc news.blueyonder.co.uk Audi 1 October 7th 04 09:51 PM
Audi 80 heater blower Peter Audi 4 September 13th 04 09:20 AM
Audi Picture R. de Jong Audi 0 July 27th 04 04:08 PM