Milage on 4lt. engine

Old April 7th 06, 07:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Milage on 4lt. engine

Hi there,

I bought a '95 Cherokee 4.0, the milage is rather high (250K km), but
still sounds and goes pretty well. I just wanted to know what milage one
can expect from these engines.

Thank you
Dirk Matthee
Old April 7th 06, 02:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Dirk, On my 2000 XJ 4 speed automatic I averaged, overall, about 20 mpg.

Old April 7th 06, 03:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

That's open to mean two things.....

Gas mileage wise, we get 26+ on the highway with about 18 mpg overall.

Life wise, our 88 has over 315K km on it and is still running strong
only using a liter of oil between changes. Most of that goes out the
air filter box. If yours spits oil into the air filter, it usually just
means the back CCV tube to the valve cover is plugged with gunk. I need
to clean mine again.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old April 7th 06, 03:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

i think he meant miles in engine life... like is it going to blow up at
300k or something

Old April 7th 06, 03:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 08:36:38 +0200, UCT Staff Member - dmatthee
> wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>I bought a '95 Cherokee 4.0, the milage is rather high (250K km), but
>still sounds and goes pretty well. I just wanted to know what milage one
>can expect from these engines.
>
>Thank you
>Dirk Matthee

I bought a 95XJ back in October. It had just under 300K *miles* and
the dealer said the engine had been rebuilt sometime around 40K miles
ago. So hopefully you can expect another 50-150K *miles*.

Now, if you were really asking MPG and not lifetime expectancy, then I
get around 14 MPG city and (ONE TIME) 19 Highway. I'm a lead foot
though, and I still need to look into several mechanical factors that
might be affecting my milage (tune up, lubricants, *moving the seat
BACK* <g>).

HTH

(95 XJ Sport, 4L, Auto)

Old April 7th 06, 05:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

That would depend on how often the oil and filters were changed... If he is
currently at 250k then take a compression check as ask if the engine had
been previously rebuilt.

A recent emissions test will tell you a lot also..

ups.com...

Old April 7th 06, 06:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Note his use of 'km', not miles....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old April 7th 06, 06:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

250,000 km's is nothing.... I have 382,000 on my XJ (Cherokee) and it still
runs strong, no problems with the engine or rest of the drive train, the
body on mine is shot though.

Main things to look at is the floor.. they used a nice rubber backed carpet
during these years and it works great for not letting water get to the
floorpan but at the same time, any moisture that gets between the carpet
back and the floor will destroy the floor pan.. I had to replace the floor
from the fire wall bend to just aft. of the drivers seat as well as from the
curve to the front of the rear Seat on the pax side, from just inside the
frame channel to 1/2 way up the tranny hump. I also replaced the floor of
the cargo area from frame channel to frame channel.

I would also suggest taking a good look at the rocker panels as they have a
good tendency to rust out if the vehicle has or had running boards
installed.

Bill has a copy of the pics I took of the front floors, perhaps he could
post a link for you.

Snow...

Outside of

Old April 7th 06, 06:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

He is only halfway there then....

When did Canada abandon Imperial measurement and why?

Old April 7th 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I believe it was our bleeding heart Liberal Government we had back in the
late 70's that changed things, I was to young to ever find out why, but one
day in elementary school we were learning feet and miles then the next week
we had to change and learn meters and kilometers.

Snow...