Caught speeding - make a run for it?

Old April 25th 06, 07:53 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers,misc.legal

Default Caught speeding - make a run for it?

"spdnomo" > wrote in message
. ..
> Some time ago I was driving cross country from the west coast to the
> east coast. While I'm normally a pretty safe driver and observe the
> speed limits and the rules of the road, this time I found myself in
> one of those <don't know what to call them> that you sometimes
> encounter when driving long distances when everyone around you is
> going pretty fast and the cars coming up behind you pretty much force
> you to keep up the pace or get run over. We were all doing over 90
> mpg on the interstate in the middle of nowhere. I'd say the fastest
> ones must have been going over 100, as they were blasting past me and
> I was doing about 95. Anyway, I stayed on the right lane and tried to
> fall back a bit planning to slow down and get below the speed limit
> where I'm comfortable. I made it to the back of the pack and fell
> behind but didn't slow down soon enough and a state trooper hiding
> behind a good spot nabbed me. I panicked and quickly slowed down to
> the speed limit. It took him a long time to catch up with me since he
> had to start from 0. I noticed he trailed me for a long while keeping
> a pretty good distance from me for oh I'd say a couple miles before he
> finally went in for the kill. Of course I got the old "give me a good
> reason not to throw you in jail right now" and ate a good sized
> portion of humble pie. In the end he let me off with a ticket. It
> was pretty expensive, and involved pleading guilty to a criminal
> traffic offense by mail from the east coast. All this got me to
> thinking: what would have happened if instead of slowing down I had
> just kept on going. He would have never been able to catch up me
> with, since I was going over 90 and he was stopped when I passed him.
> Would he have put out a BOLO or an APB on me or something? Would I
> have been intercepted by a dozen troopers and helicopters/ the works
> further on down the interstate? Was I better off slowing down like I
> did and letting him catch up to me or should I have made a run for it
> and then slowed down once I lost him?

If you're going fast enough to take the next exit while you are still out of
sight of the cop, do so. There is nothing illegal about it. You aren't
evading arrest. After all, if the cop isn't even in sight, you don't KNOW
if the cop is after you or not. So you can't be evading arrest, as you are
not in the process of being arrested, yet. But if you manage to take the
next exit without being seen, change course for a while and take an
alternate route to your destination. And for gods sake, SLOW DOWN until you
reach your destination. (at least to 5 or so over).

But if you aren't near the next exit, the best you can do is exactly what
you did. It sucks. I've almost been in that situation. I got in heavy
traffic near NYC and ALL (multiple, same direction) lanes were fricking
FLYING. It was tough to take my eyes off the road for even a split second
to look at the speedo, but at one point I looked down and I was doing 95
just blending with traffic. There were dozens of cars within sight of me
and not one of them was slower. I didn't hang with that crowd for long. I
dropped back just like you did. A couple miles further up the road there
were three cars pulled over by two staties. I recognized one of them as a
vehicle I'd been following in the fast wolf pack. I just narrowly escaped
that one. -Dave