Torque converter going bad?

Old June 11th 06, 09:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Torque converter going bad?

Earle Horton wrote:

> "DougW" > wrote in message
> > Earle Horton did pass the time by typing:
> > > If water and oil emulsion (i.e. what Mike is calling "foamy") is in the
> > > torque converter, then you will have to change the fluid, run the engine
> > > some, and then change it again, to get all or most of the water out.
> > > The torque converter holds approximately half the fluid in the
> > > transmission, and as far as I know there is no convenient way to
> > > drain it. It would be helpful to have a mechanic, who knows by
> > > sight and feel, the difference between water and oil emulsion, and
> > > foam caused by overfilling. The foam that Bill is talking about,
> > > is air in oil, and should go away as soon as the proper amount
> > > of fluid is restored.

> > The only good way to clean it all out is to remove it and compleatly drain
> > the torque converter.
> >
> > If it's water then draining is the only way.
> > http://www.quality-trans.com/faq/faq6.htm
> >

> Of course no one really believes that their transmission needs to be taken
> apart and rebuilt. Theirs is always the one that will miraculously recover,
> because they have caught the problem and done something in time. Or, "There
> really isn't that much water in mine. Two or three changes will fix it."
> In psychology this is called "denial".
>
> I have seen the process of changing the fluid in a modern, no-drain-fitting
> torque converter described. It involves a tiny siphon hose and the patience
> of Job. It is not a reasonable procedure unless you have way more time on
> your hands than money. When I worked in the Dodge garage I just told the
> service manager, "Look, this transmission has one of X conditions, where the
> manual dictates replacing the torque converter. Tell the customer we can't
> give him any warranty on the job, unless we sell him one." Burnt smelling
> fluid required a new torque converter. Water in the fluid required a new
> torque converter. And so on. This is all true, but lots of people try a
> fluid change first, and many may get a few more miles out of it.
>
> Who are we, to tell people what reality is all about?
>
> Earle

I also have seen folks open the inspection plate and drill a hole into
the bottom of the TC. They then threaded it for a plug.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old June 11th 06, 09:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Mike Romain did pass the time by typing:

> I also have seen folks open the inspection plate and drill a hole into
> the bottom of the TC. They then threaded it for a plug.

I can see the point in that. Especially if your going to get the transmission
wet frequently. Any bits of metal left over from drilling would be my worry.
Guess they flush out easily enough when all the ATF fluid drains all over.

--
DougW

Old June 12th 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Hi:

Then I have a straight 6. What is that/ I know dumb question...

I wil ask him to flush the transmission and see if it helps.

Thanks,

-John

Old June 12th 06, 05:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Sounds like a great excuse to buy one of those right-angle adapters for a
drill.

Old June 12th 06, 05:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

All 6 cylinders are inline front to back, as opposed to a V6 which has two
banks of 3 cylinders, each bank forming each side of the "v".

ups.com...

Old June 12th 06, 06:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

If the cylinders are all in a row it's a straight six, if the engine has
three on each side it's a V6 (or if it looks like a V8 missing a couple
of cylinders).

Something like this...

Straight six - oooooo

V6 - ooo
ooo

V8 - oooo
oooo

Jeff DeWitt

wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Then I have a straight 6. What is that/ I know dumb question...
>
> I wil ask him to flush the transmission and see if it helps.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -John
>
> Jeff Strickland wrote:

groups.com...

Old June 12th 06, 02:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

A ha! Eureka! I have a straight 6. Oh well, for some reason, I think I
should know these information, being a man and all.

I'll keep you guys in the loop as to what is going on.

Thanks,

John.

Old June 12th 06, 03:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

They used to put these drain holes in the bottom of the front of the torque
converter, i.e. facing towards the front of the vehicle. Some vehicles had
an access hole inspection plate where you could get at the plug too. You
want to make sure that you don't hit one of the turbine or stator vanes when
drilling the hole. Also, it will for sure void any warranty you might have
on the part.

Earle

. ..

Old June 13th 06, 02:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

A friend of mine said to try "Lucas Slip Stop" has anyone heard of it?

Thanks,

-John

Old June 13th 06, 03:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

If you do have water in the fluid, the lucas slip stop will just help
destroy the transmission while you drive it to see if it has effect.

You 'really' need to do your own visual on the fluid. It's easy, just
pull the dipstick out and see what the stuff looks like. If it is brown
and smells like burnt toast, you are in for a rebuild. If it's foamy
and clear it's too full and the foam will kill the unit because air
bubbles don't lubricate. If it looks like a milkshake it has water and
needs to be drained and replaced. Twice likely to get all the water
out.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

http://www.teranews.com