Does this sound like a serious problem?

Old August 14th 06, 09:23 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jules

Default Does this sound like a serious problem?

Hi all
Well yesterday i wrote off my E34 520 as i had a blow out as i was going
around a roundabout in the wet, it shot off and hit the kerb at about 20mph
so it it bend the susp, damaged 2 wheels and i guess a load of other things
too.

I have been looking for another 5 series on ebay UK, i was due to drive to E
Germany in a month so i need something quick, which gives me a week or so to
make sure its upto the job

Anyway seen a auto 525 diesel. it says the gearbox is fine but with 'The
automatic gearbox sometimes does not accelerate from rest/standstill if the
transmission gets very hot.' He then says '

Q: is the auto box knackered???
11-Aug-06 A: No not at all. It accelerates and changes up and down plus
kickdown etc fine. As I've stated, sometimes when things get very hot, it
doesn't accelerate from rest in drive (when this happens, can creep along
and build up speed, then it works fine again and will change and accelerate
normally at speed etc).

Never had a auto before, or a diesel, the car has full mot and owner says
its drives perfect etc.Its a 95 525 M reg

BTW while i am still here

Can people tell me which versions to avoid, i was told (after i bought mine)
to avoid a 520 but i was happy with it.

If anyone is wondering, the traffic cops saw a huge nail in the tyre that
lost pressure quick, as it was the one underload going around the round
about, they were fine as i wasnt speeding etc and all the tyres were like
new etc.

many thanks

Old August 14th 06, 10:27 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article > ,
Jules > wrote:
> Anyway seen a auto 525 diesel. it says the gearbox is fine but with
> 'The automatic gearbox sometimes does not accelerate from
> rest/standstill if the transmission gets very hot.' He then says '

> Q: is the auto box knackered??? 11-Aug-06 A: No not at all. It
> accelerates and changes up and down plus kickdown etc fine. As I've
> stated, sometimes when things get very hot, it doesn't accelerate from
> rest in drive (when this happens, can creep along and build up speed,
> then it works fine again and will change and accelerate normally at
> speed etc).

That sounds like a clutch isn't disengaging fully and it is trying to be
in two gears at once, as it were.

The cost of fixing most auto faults is in the labour of removing and
stripping, so it's usual to just fit a fully re-conditioned box. Which
will be something like 1500 gbp for that car.

--
*Laugh alone and the world thinks you're an idiot.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old August 14th 06, 01:18 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
[email protected]

Jules wrote:
> Hi all
> Well yesterday i wrote off my E34 520 as i had a blow out as i was going
> around a roundabout in the wet, it shot off and hit the kerb at about 20mph
> so it it bend the susp, damaged 2 wheels and i guess a load of other things
> too.

Yes, of course you did.

> I have been looking for another 5 series on ebay UK, i was due to drive to E
> Germany in a month so i need something quick, which gives me a week or so to
> make sure its upto the job

Can't you repair the one you have?

The auto box might respond to a few oil changes but it's a gamble and
generally speaking not a good one.

Old August 14th 06, 01:28 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jules

"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message
> In article > ,
> Jules > wrote:
> > Anyway seen a auto 525 diesel. it says the gearbox is fine but with
> > 'The automatic gearbox sometimes does not accelerate from
> > rest/standstill if the transmission gets very hot.' He then says '

> > Q: is the auto box knackered??? 11-Aug-06 A: No not at all. It
> > accelerates and changes up and down plus kickdown etc fine. As I've
> > stated, sometimes when things get very hot, it doesn't accelerate from
> > rest in drive (when this happens, can creep along and build up speed,
> > then it works fine again and will change and accelerate normally at
> > speed etc).

> That sounds like a clutch isn't disengaging fully and it is trying to be
> in two gears at once, as it were.
>
> The cost of fixing most auto faults is in the labour of removing and
> stripping, so it's usual to just fit a fully re-conditioned box. Which
> will be something like 1500 gbp for that car.
>
> --
> *Laugh alone and the world thinks you're an idiot.
>
> Dave Plowman London SW
> To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Thanks, will avoid it..

Old August 14th 06, 01:31 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jules

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Jules wrote:
> > Hi all
> > Well yesterday i wrote off my E34 520 as i had a blow out as i was going
> > around a roundabout in the wet, it shot off and hit the kerb at about

20mph
> > so it it bend the susp, damaged 2 wheels and i guess a load of other

things
> > too.
> >

> Yes, of course you did.

Yes i did, any faster and i would have gone over the kerb and done a lot
more damage, and the cops wouldnt have been fine about it.

> > I have been looking for another 5 series on ebay UK, i was due to drive

to E
> > Germany in a month so i need something quick, which gives me a week or

so to
> > make sure its upto the job
> >

> Can't you repair the one you have?

not within 3 weeks, the mot was due to be done too as it matches when i
would be in Germany. I think the labour would be at least the 600 i paid for
the and the parts may be the same amount. Im off to take some pics of the
car tonight so will post a link then up

> The auto box might respond to a few oil changes but it's a gamble and
> generally speaking not a good one.

Esp as if i was stuck in E Germany or Poland......seen a couple of 525
manual TDs where the sellers on ebay are ok to wait a little longer for me
to get the cash together.