Shock absorbers for 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9

Old August 12th 06, 01:38 AM posted to rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Doug[_1_]

Default Shock absorbers for 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9

We bought a 98 5.9 limited Grand Cherokee last November for the occasional
weekend trip and once or twice a year to Oregon and Nevada.

Some of these trips are in winter with at least some snow. We very
occasionally drive dirt roads, both dry and wet. My Honda Civic would have
no trouble other than all the bouncing around.

The previous owner put on Yokohama Geolander tires, K&N air intake, and
Flowmaster exhaust. Everything else appears stock, the sticker under the
hood indicates that the computer is factory, I guess we don't know for sure.
It passed CA smog.

This beast needs shocks, it appears to have the factory units ( 75k miles ).

After looking around, it appears that the Edelbrock Performer IAS is a good
choice.

What other shocks should I consider?

Thanks,
Doug

Old August 12th 06, 02:12 AM posted to rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

Doug wrote:
> We bought a 98 5.9 limited Grand Cherokee last November for the
> occasional weekend trip and once or twice a year to Oregon and Nevada.

> This beast needs shocks, it appears to have the factory units ( 75k
> miles ).
> After looking around, it appears that the Edelbrock Performer IAS is
> a good choice.

I like mine, but if I had to do it again (and will in about another
year) I would go with some air-adjustable ones like the Rancho.
Pushed these shocks hard and they work well. Thing is I'm not so sure
they don't sustain deathwobble by being softer when the suspension is
relaxed. Probably a better shock for the rear axle. Then again the
design has had over nine years to mature since I got mine.

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://revbeergoggles.com
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks

Old August 12th 06, 03:22 AM posted to rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

Sears has Monroe GasMatic LT shocks on sale 40% off ($17.99)

. ..

Old August 12th 06, 04:02 AM posted to rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Carl[_3_]

I had edelbrock IAS on a TJ. They were a little bouncy, but that's a TJ.
Overall, I liked them.

Carl

. ..

Old August 12th 06, 06:10 PM posted to rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lon

Doug proclaimed:

> We bought a 98 5.9 limited Grand Cherokee last November for the occasional
> weekend trip and once or twice a year to Oregon and Nevada.
>
> Some of these trips are in winter with at least some snow. We very
> occasionally drive dirt roads, both dry and wet. My Honda Civic would have
> no trouble other than all the bouncing around.
>
> The previous owner put on Yokohama Geolander tires, K&N air intake, and
> Flowmaster exhaust. Everything else appears stock, the sticker under the
> hood indicates that the computer is factory, I guess we don't know for sure.
> It passed CA smog.
>
> This beast needs shocks, it appears to have the factory units ( 75k miles ).
>
> After looking around, it appears that the Edelbrock Performer IAS is a good
> choice.
>
> What other shocks should I consider?

Kinda depends on you. The Rancho RSX9000 adjustable allows you to
change your shocks from highway to offroad. The newest version of their
control *appears* to have resolved most of the leak issues with the
older units. If your Nevada trip includes some of the higher speed
non-highway but non-hardcore trails, they are kinda nice as you can
cruise a bit higher speed without needing a kidney belt. Then if you go
into the rougher trails you can adjust them again quickly. I have
these, with the newer model remote and do like the ability to change
damping quickly between highway and offroad--since my creditors prefer I
spend most time on road.

For general highway use with your off-road never needing to rock crawl,
the Edelebrock IAS is an excellent choice.
Old August 12th 06, 07:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Dick[_1_]

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 10:10:19 -0700, Lon >
wrote:

>For general highway use with your off-road never needing to rock crawl,
>the Edelebrock IAS is an excellent choice.

In general I agree with you. They are the best shocks I have tried on
my JGC. However, they don't help at all on washboard roads. Don't
know if any shocks would help that situation. Need a more compliant
suspension.

Dick
Old August 15th 06, 03:38 AM posted to rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
bobmct

Doug wrote:

> We bought a 98 5.9 limited Grand Cherokee last November for the occasional
> weekend trip and once or twice a year to Oregon and Nevada.
>
> Some of these trips are in winter with at least some snow. We very
> occasionally drive dirt roads, both dry and wet. My Honda Civic would
> have no trouble other than all the bouncing around.
>
> The previous owner put on Yokohama Geolander tires, K&N air intake, and
> Flowmaster exhaust. Everything else appears stock, the sticker under the
> hood indicates that the computer is factory, I guess we don't know for
> sure. It passed CA smog.
>
> This beast needs shocks, it appears to have the factory units ( 75k miles
> ).
>
> After looking around, it appears that the Edelbrock Performer IAS is a
> good choice.
>
> What other shocks should I consider?
>
> Thanks,
> Doug

FWIW: I put those on my 96 JGC and quite frankly I didn't like them. After
another 30K or so I replaced them with new OEM HD shocks which are still in
service at 175K. So spend your money on different product.

Old August 16th 06, 01:33 AM posted to rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Doug[_1_]

Default Shock absorbers for 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Thanks to everybody!

The short story: I am going to get the Edelbrock IAS performers. Thanks to
everyone who responded.

I was surprised how long it took somebody to tell me to get OEM replacements
considering I indicated that while I own this ZJ it will never go 'off
road'. Well, intentionally anyway...

I agree with billy ray that the roughest this ZJ has ever seen is a county
fair parking lot.
In my original post I tried to say that it probably will not get any
rougher. I think it was set up for towing, ski boat maybe?

For anybody who cares, here are my thoughts on your feedback:

Rancho air adjustables: I just don't need adjustables. Maybe if I were going
to off-road or tow something big. But then, towing something big with a ZJ
is probably not such a good idea.

Monroe's at Sears: I considered these after reading billy ray's reply. The
problem here is that I've been bitten by the Edelbrock IAS marketing
machine, which started this whole thing... billy ray seems to think that the
Edelbrock IAS shocks are off-road shocks. I do not know, this is why I
asked.

Carl and Lon helped solidify my desire for the IAS's.

bobmct didn't play. I appreciate bobmct's opinion and thought about it some.
I considered OEM shocks. The 'UpCountry' OEM replacement shocks might be a
good choice.

And thanks to Sparky, but the OME shocks do not seem appropriate for this
situation.

Thanks to the following folks in no particular order. I apologize if I
missed somebody, I did read all the replies my ISP provided.

dougw:

I like mine, but if I had to do it again (and will in about another
year) I would go with some air-adjustable ones like the Rancho.
Pushed these shocks hard and they work well. Thing is I'm not so sure
they don't sustain deathwobble by being softer when the suspension is
relaxed. Probably a better shock for the rear axle. Then again the
design has had over nine years to mature since I got mine.

billy ray:

Sears has Monroe GasMatic LT shocks on sale 40% off ($17.99)

I'm guessing by the vehicle type (5.9 Limited), previous 'improvements'
(Yokohama Geolander tires, K&N air intake, and Flowmaster exhaust) that this
ZJ never went any further off the pavement than parking in a field for the
county fair.

Unless you seriously plan on going off-road I would not buy off-road shocks
and you will not appreciate their on-road ride.

Carl:
I had edelbrock IAS on a TJ. They were a little bouncy, but that's a TJ.
Overall, I liked them.

Lon:
Kinda depends on you. The Rancho RSX9000 adjustable allows you to
change your shocks from highway to offroad. The newest version of their
control *appears* to have resolved most of the leak issues with the
older units. If your Nevada trip includes some of the higher speed
non-highway but non-hardcore trails, they are kinda nice as you can
cruise a bit higher speed without needing a kidney belt. Then if you go
into the rougher trails you can adjust them again quickly. I have
these, with the newer model remote and do like the ability to change
damping quickly between highway and offroad--since my creditors prefer I
spend most time on road.

For general highway use with your off-road never needing to rock crawl,
the Edelebrock IAS is an excellent choice.

bobmct:
FWIW: I put those on my 96 JGC and quite frankly I didn't like them. After
another 30K or so I replaced them with new OEM HD shocks which are still in
service at 175K. So spend your money on different product.

Sparky:
I use and recommend the OME (Old Man Emu) shocks.

Old August 16th 06, 01:41 AM posted to rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Carl[_3_]

Sounds like a solid choice, Doug. I've never used OME (old man emu) but they
do come very highly reccomended. You can check them out at
www.rocky-road.com .

Let us know how you like whichever ones you get.

Carl

Old August 16th 06, 04:50 AM posted to rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lon

Check 4 Wheel Parts if you have a local one. They used to regularly
sell the Edelbrock IAS [and the Rancho adjs] at 4 for the price of 3.

Carl proclaimed:

Shock absorbers. Fred W BMW 0 May 8th 06 01:16 PM
AWA [OFFER] new shock absorbers ford [email protected] General 0 March 13th 06 12:01 PM
AWA [DEMAND] WANTED SURPLUS SHOCK ABSORBERS [email protected] General 0 December 20th 05 05:04 PM
Fiberglass shock absorbers ? E_Tar Corvette 10 December 16th 05 09:16 PM
Shock absorbers Zenteren 4x4 1 July 15th 04 02:20 PM