Strange ongoing humming tone from 94 Accord

Old January 25th 05, 07:48 PM

Default Strange ongoing humming tone from 94 Accord

Hello,

I recently bought a 1994 Honda Accord LX, with 195,000 miles. As I was
walking out to my car this morning, I heard a strange ongoing
high-pitched tone, which could best be described as a more faint
version of the horn. I panicked, thinking that the horn switch somehow
froze in place (I'm in Boston) and drained the battery overnight, and
sounded faint because it was on its last legs.

However, I got in the car, and it wasn't the horn - in fact, the car
had plenty of juice to crank and turn over. I got to work (with the
strange tone still blaring) and identified it as coming somewhere from
the engine bay. It almost sounded similar to a door buzzer (though I
don't recall what the door-ajar sounds like since I've only had the car
about a week) but it was loud enough to hear from about 10 feet away
from the car.

The beeeeep sound continued but started to go off and on, and finally
shut out right as I was about to disconnect my battery.

Any ideas on what this could be / have been?? I'm so completely
baffled.

Thanks,
Pravin

Old January 26th 05, 02:57 AM
ravelation

I have a similar sound that sometimes will eminate from the gas tank
area-- a kind of whirring that is constant, then goes to a cycle on off
mode, then stops. I'm guessing the fuel pump is doing something. The car
runs great, so I haven't looked further. I'm curious what your inquiry
will yield, because they sound like similar things, only different
places on the car. BTW, mines' an Inifiniti G20T I4 engine.

Old January 26th 05, 03:41 AM
Sskb

You mean your car had been parked overnight and when you went to your
car in the morning with the engine off it was emitting a tone? Could
it be something aftermarket? Never heard anything like that from my
1994 Accord and I've had it since day one. The only sounds the car
emits with the engine off are the <ding-dong> when the headlights are
left on and the <buzz> leaving the keys in the ignition with the door
open.

Old January 26th 05, 06:04 AM

Exactly, in other words, the tone was there whether the engine was on
or off. This is why I am ruling out a fuel pump. I can't think of any
other buzzers or beepers that the car has. The lead to the positive
battery terminal did look as if something aftermarket had been
installed (an alarm system perhaps?) so I'm going to further
investigate to see if I can find anything. I'm still baffled though,
because the tone was way too faint to be an alarm, yet too loud to be a
keys-in-ignition buzz.

Old January 26th 05, 08:21 PM
Graham W

wrote:
>>> Exactly, in other words, the tone was there whether the engine was
>>> on or off. This is why I am ruling out a fuel pump. I can't think
>>> of any other buzzers or beepers that the car has. The lead to the
>>> positive battery terminal did look as if something aftermarket had
>>> been installed (an alarm system perhaps?) so I'm going to further
>>> investigate to see if I can find anything. I'm still baffled though,
>>> because the tone was way too faint to be an alarm, yet too loud to
>>> be a keys-in-ignition buzz.

>> It was the fuel tank breathing in and the pressure (vacuum) relief
>> thingy caused the sound. Hint - almost completely close the back
>> of your throat and now breathe in with effort - you'll get a similar
>> noise!
>>

> The problem with this explanation is that the tone occurs regardless
> of the key being in or not - i.e. regardless of the fuel pump being
> on. Also, the noise is too consistent (as in, it's a tone of a
> particular pitch) - think "Meep meep" horn being held down, but not
> as loud as a regular horn. Also, the regular horn itself is unrelated
> to this noise, and functions properly. The tone started blowing again
> on the way to work - currently the battery is disconnected.

It is a pure pneumatic effect and doesn't require the pump to be running.

After a journey of a mile or two, the tank stores the partial
vacuum until the temperature falls causing even more vacuum and the
relief valve gives in as described above. You may not get it to do it if
you remove the battery since that will dissuade you from using the car
which is a pre-requirement. This effect can occur hours after the car
was run. As to the constancy of the tone, have you noticed that most
farts sound the same even from different people? 8¬)

HTH
--
Graham W
http://www.gcw.org.uk/ PGM-FI page updated, Graphics Tutorial