'88 Wagoneer rear suspension

Old December 3rd 04, 02:09 PM
mike92105

Default '88 Wagoneer rear suspension

My XJ Wagoneer Limited hsa leaf suspension in the rear, the leafs are
pretty flat, is this normal? The reason I was wondering is that when I tow
my boat, tongue weight around 150-200 lbs, the wheel fenders are less than
an inch from the tire. What can I do to beef up the suspension in the rear
without spending a huge amount of money?

Old December 3rd 04, 03:06 PM
Mike Romain

They sound worn out. Our 88 XJ has a good arch in the springs.

You can get add a leaf kits to bring it back up with a harsh ride.
These will last for a while, but the best is a new set of springs.

The best place to get new springs is your local truck suspension shop.
They are used to dealing with big trucks so have fun with the little
trucks when they come in. They also have realistic prices. Any 4x4
shop will charge twice as much or more for the same work.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old December 3rd 04, 03:06 PM
Mike Romain

Old December 3rd 04, 05:05 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

If you like it's normal ride height, you may temporarily add a
thousand pounds carry capacity using Gabriel air shock absorbers:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...odelId-1001389
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old December 3rd 04, 05:05 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Old December 4th 04, 03:20 AM
dave AKA vwdoc1

I agree with Mike............buy some new rear springs. I got lucky and
found some on Ebay and only spent around $100 for them shipped to me with
bushings.
It makes your Jeep look and feel almost like new! 8^)
And even carrying around 900 lbs of concrete in the cargo area, it doesn't
sag that much. lol
later,
dave AKA vwdoc1
88 XJ

Old December 4th 04, 03:20 AM
dave AKA vwdoc1

Old December 4th 04, 06:41 PM
mike92105

Thanks all for your input I ordered the adjustable shocks today from
JCWhitney.

Old December 4th 04, 06:41 PM
mike92105