Anyone have an 05 Escape with poor mileage?

Old January 24th 05, 06:08 PM
Finite Guy

Thanks for your input. I guess my Escape get about what your Tribute
gets. I do get a strong fule odor (outside the car) when I start it
up)
Robert

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 12:40:31 GMT, "classicred" >
wrote:

>Have 04 Mazda tribute awd (same as escape.
>I have calcuated molage since we bought it.
>
>Highway driving with cruise control at 55: 25 mpg
>"" "" more nomral speed: 20 mpg
>Mix of highway and city driving (me going to work): 18 mpg
>City driving stop and go : 15 mpg (if I'm lucky)
>
>Y our mileage sounds fairly normal to me. My friend with 03 escape gets
>roughly same mileage. A little less. He has a bit of lead foot tendency
>though. Hope this makes you feel better.

oups.com...

Old January 24th 05, 06:10 PM
Finite Guy

Thanks for you input. Sounds like my car is normal. Kind of a relief
because I don't wnat to bother bringing the car back to the dealer if
I don't have to.

Old January 24th 05, 06:46 PM
Ad absurdum per aspera

> I do get a strong fule odor (outside the car)
> when I start it up)

Definitely back to the dealer with it, then. Seemingly poor gas
mileage is an ambiguous and multivariate symptom whose main value is
that it's often the first thing you notice. A strong fuel odor is much
more immediate and has many fewer possible causes.

My guess is that some sensor in one of the engine management loops has
croaked and, at least during some part of the warmup cycle, you're
running way over rich.

This can also cause other problems -- if it is allowed to go in you
could end up diluting oil, melting down the innards of the catalytic
converter, etc. So do take them up on their invitation to bring it
in, especially since this is presumably under warranty.

Meanwhile there's an unrelated recall that they might want to take care
of while you're the
http://www.automotive.com/2005/12/ford/escape/recalls/

Cheers,
--Joe