worn bearing cause low oil pressure?

Old June 9th 10, 05:38 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,aus.cars
Noddy[_3_]

Default worn bearing cause low oil pressure?

"jim" <"sjedgingN0Sp"@m@mwt,net> wrote in message
.. .

> Well it wasn't entirely impractical. The oil was dirt cheap and dripping
> it out onto the roadway helped keep the dust down.

Many engines leaked a lot of oil in the old days,. but that wasn't an
intentional function of the lubrication system.

--
Regards,
Noddy.

Old June 9th 10, 05:39 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,aus.cars
Noddy[_3_]

"Steve W." > wrote in message

> Harley Davidson still uses this system...!

As do/did most things made in England

--
Regards,
Noddy.

Old June 9th 10, 02:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,aus.cars
Scott Dorsey

Noddy > wrote:
>"jim" <"sjedgingN0Sp"@m@mwt,net> wrote in message
. ..

>> Well it wasn't entirely impractical. The oil was dirt cheap and dripping
>> it out onto the roadway helped keep the dust down.

>Many engines leaked a lot of oil in the old days,. but that wasn't an
>intentional function of the lubrication system.

We're joking.

But, total loss systems are very common... the Bridgeport mills are supposed
to be dripping oil... if there isn't any oil coming out of the head, you
need to add more.
--scott

Old June 9th 10, 02:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,aus.cars
jim

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> Noddy > wrote:
> >"jim" <"sjedgingN0Sp"@m@mwt,net> wrote in message
> . ..
> >
> >> Well it wasn't entirely impractical. The oil was dirt cheap and dripping
> >> it out onto the roadway helped keep the dust down.

> >Many engines leaked a lot of oil in the old days,. but that wasn't an
> >intentional function of the lubrication system.

> We're joking.
>
> But, total loss systems are very common... the Bridgeport mills are supposed
> to be dripping oil... if there isn't any oil coming out of the head, you
> need to add more.

But that isn't exactly impractical. A bridgeport that has been used
daily for 50 years will have the same amount of rust as when it was new.
But if it is taken out of service they rust like crazy.

-jim

Old June 9th 10, 11:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,aus.cars
Noddy[_3_]

"Scott Dorsey" > wrote in message

> We're joking.

Uh-huh. Amusing.

> But, total loss systems are very common...

As I mentioned, they are in machinery, but have never been in car engines.

> the Bridgeport mills are supposed
> to be dripping oil... if there isn't any oil coming out of the head, you
> need to add more.

Indeed.

I have two of them in my workshop.

--
Regards,
Noddy.

Old June 9th 10, 11:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,aus.cars
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 06/09/2010 06:17 PM, Noddy wrote:
> "Scott > wrote in message
>
>> We're joking.

> Uh-huh. Amusing.
>
>> But, total loss systems are very common...

> As I mentioned, they are in machinery, but have never been in car engines.

Not today, but once upon a time, at least "partial loss" systems were in
regular production. e.g.

http://www.forengines.com/demoa-1.jpg

http://www.forengines.com/demoa-2.jpg

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old June 9th 10, 11:53 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,aus.cars
Scott Dorsey

Nate Nagel > wrote:

>Not today, but once upon a time, at least "partial loss" systems were in
>regular production. e.g.
>
>http://www.forengines.com/demoa-1.jpg
>
>http://www.forengines.com/demoa-2.jpg

I believe the Wright Brothers' first engine was like this. It was not
designed to run for long periods anyway.
--scott

Old June 10th 10, 12:44 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,aus.cars
Noddy[_3_]

"Nate Nagel" > wrote in message

> Not today, but once upon a time, at least "partial loss" systems were in
> regular production. e.g.
>
> http://www.forengines.com/demoa-1.jpg
>
> http://www.forengines.com/demoa-2.jpg

Assuming, for the sake of the argument, that old engines that ran exposed
rocker gear were indeed actually lubricated from the engine's own on board
supply of oil, and I'd doubt it many of them (if any) actually were.

Some engines, like very early inline aircraft engines that ran exposed
rocker gear for example, carried their own sump oil for lubricating the
engine internals, but the rocker gear was lubricated by hand from a hand
help oil can during the "pre start" maintenance. The main reason for this is
because the lubrication system was a "splash" system that didn't run an oil
pump, and without a pump there was no way to get engine oil up to the top of
the engine. It would have also been a bit self defeating, as without a means
of catching the run off once the oil was pumped up to the top of the engine,
it'd run dry pretty quickly which would severely limit it's endurance.

Some early car engines I've seen with exposed rocker gear have worked on the
same principal. They could get away with it in those days as the rpm's and
loads were pretty minor, and the clearances so large that a few drops of oil
from an oil can was all they needed to keep them happy for a while.

--
Regards,
Noddy.

Old June 10th 10, 08:21 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,aus.cars
Fraser Johnston[_2_]

"Noddy" > wrote in message

> "Steve W." > wrote in message
>
>> Harley Davidson still uses this system...!

> As do/did most things made in England

I had a jag that didn't leak oil. I still think I should of sold it to
Ripleys.

Fraser

Old June 10th 10, 02:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,aus.cars
N8N

On Jun 9, 6:53*pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
> Nate Nagel > wrote:
>

> >Not today, but once upon a time, at least "partial loss" systems were in
> >regular production. *e.g.

> >http://www.forengines.com/demoa-1.jpg

> >http://www.forengines.com/demoa-2.jpg

> I believe the Wright Brothers' first engine was like this. *It was not
> designed to run for long periods anyway.

ISTR hearing anecdotes about the early days of aviation, where pilots
would have to take into consideration the effects on the human body of
a partial-loss lubrication system combined with the use of castor bean
oil as the base for the engine lubricant... (think about it.)

nate

Worn out A6 L. D. Mormino Audi 15 February 25th 07 12:46 AM
CV joints worn out! TeGGeR® Honda 12 April 28th 06 04:35 AM
do i have worn shocks? Jeff Honda 13 November 2nd 05 04:41 AM
Bearing Races Question and Wheel Bearing Pack Question Kevin Holzer VW air cooled 3 June 11th 05 05:51 AM
Worn out XJ Shocks Eric Jeep 7 January 19th 05 06:20 AM