Beware this seller. Larry Brown Quincy Illinois

Old April 29th 06, 04:00 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Beware this seller. Larry Brown Quincy Illinois

Read my Story at:
www.skywolf.com

or contact:

for his story.

Old April 29th 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Holden McGroin" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Read my Story at:
> www.skywolf.com
>
> or contact:
>

> for his story.

Not a pretty sight..

Old April 29th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Sad indeed, but I am a firm proponent of not buying any complex component
such as an old car based on some salesmen's "bs" on the internet. I know
shopping this way allows a broader choice of cars but how can anyone expect,
sight unseen, a 40 year old car to meet his expectations, again you must
look these cars over yourself or even hire someone familiar with what to
look for, caveat emptor for sure.

Old April 29th 06, 06:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On 29 Apr 2006 08:00:09 -0700, "Holden McGroin" >
wrote:

>Read my Story at:
>www.skywolf.com
>
>or contact:
>

>for his story.

The good news is, I don't see anything there that another $40,000
can't fix up.

The bad news is, by the time you get your money back, if you ever do,
it will be handed over to your attorney for his fees.

I've been burned and robbed by all sorts, but never at this *level.*

I don't see a happy ending to this story. Somebody is going to pay
for the transport to/from Florida. Somebody is going to have to pay
attorneys and court costs.

This can go to a bench trial where a judge alone will decide, or to a
jury, considering it is Federal ( over State Lines ). You may have to
wait a long time to get the case to court. Then you have to pay a
Process Server to serve the Summons. Don't expect the original seller
to be around to collect it.

I am somewhat too trusting in my own transactions, but am getting to
the point, after seeing **** like this, where I'm not trusting anybody
with anything unless I can see, touch, drive, check out the materials
in advance. Good luck with this and keep us posted.

Lg

Old April 29th 06, 07:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Holden McGroin wrote:

> Read my Story at:
> www.skywolf.com
>
> or contact:
>

> for his story.

A sad story.
OTOH, I can't believe anyone would buy something sight unseen for over $20.
You would get eaten alive in the real world.
Old April 30th 06, 12:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On 29 Apr 2006 08:59:31 -0700, "John S." > wrote:

>$5,500 is a lot of money and I would have wanted a lot more proof that
>the car was as advertised.

Granny had some sort of saying about a fool and his money......

Steve B.
Old April 30th 06, 01:04 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

John S. wrote:
> Holden McGroin wrote:
>
>>Read my Story at:
>>www.skywolf.com
>>
>>or contact:
>>

>>for his story.

> That's a sad story, sorry you got burned.
>
> It is unfortunately also a very good example of how risky it really is
> to buy a car sight-unseen from a seller that you know nothing about.
> Most of the cars I looked at on the site you listed are bone-yard
> specials, so I would have found that to be a warning sign. His
> statement: "No real rust to speak of... the car has no big problems and
> would make a great Driver" is unfortunately vague and open to some
> interpretation since we are talking about a car that is almost half a
> century old.
>
> $5,500 is a lot of money and I would have wanted a lot more proof that
> the car was as advertised.

Just to rub it in, I've seen this car/story before but I just finally
noticed that it appears to have the steering wheel, horn ring, and horn
button from a '57 President.

The good news is that SASCO still has wheels that would be correct for
your car, although I think they are all two-tone (for Larks.)

Of course, I expect you will be doing some repairs before worrying about
an incorrect steering wheel.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old April 30th 06, 01:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Nate, is that really that terrible of a price for what he got? I know
it's a fairly rare vehicle. Where I live I would expect to see a price
af about $5K on anything in the 55'-65' range that was fairly complete.
If the desire is to make it exactly original, then it's going to take a
lot. Based on the pictures he posted, what is the most a person should
pay for it?

Old April 30th 06, 02:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Al Bundy wrote:
> Nate, is that really that terrible of a price for what he got? I know
> it's a fairly rare vehicle. Where I live I would expect to see a price
> af about $5K on anything in the 55'-65' range that was fairly complete.
> If the desire is to make it exactly original, then it's going to take a
> lot. Based on the pictures he posted, what is the most a person should
> pay for it?

Well, let me put it to you this way... I bought a '55 coupe (same basic
car, although it looks completely different) with *no* rust, a 20-footer
paint job, a few missing chrome pieces (actually hard to find ones, one
of which I still need to locate) a ratty but much more presentable
interior, and a tired but functional '63 289/auto for probably $7-8K
worth of other auto-related stuff in trade.

The best people to actually answer the value question would likely be
found over on alt.autos.studebaker; I am just a guy who works on cars
and makes an occasional trade, and I'm not really tapped into current
prices. However, the car in those pics, while still salvageable, I
personally wouldn't pay more than $2K for (actually I probably wouldn't
buy it at all because it's more of a project than I have time for.) The
thing that really worries me about it is the mishmash of different year
parts; the carb and intake on there is from a much earlier car and the
lack of breathers on the valve covers and the presence of the oil fill
"stack" at the front of the block makes me suspect that it's an earlier
partial-flow engine (i.e. no provisions for modern full-flow oil filter
which was introduced in mid '62.) Not a big deal to some (although I
would get a bypass filter for it) but if for some reason someone was
counting on having a full-flow block, or wanted to do a 100% correct
show resto, that might be disappointing.

nate