Dodge Caravan 1988 Question

Old July 9th 06, 02:50 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
elainebs63

Default Dodge Caravan 1988 Question

all at once van started to burn rich - I have eliminated
fuel filter
air filter
converter
distributer cap

fault codes are 12 memory standby power lost
and 35 idle switch circuit fault

does anybody know what these are? and what should my next move be?
THANKS

Old July 9th 06, 05:42 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Your codes show that you recently disconnected the battery and
maybe the computer doesn't know when you are in idle. But I don't
think that would make you burn rich. How do you know you are burning
rich? Black smoke, gas smell all the time when driving, spark plug
insulators dry black, or fail smog check.
Anyway If this is a fuel injected engine I would check fuel
pressure regulator, coolant temperature sensor, if engine runs bad I
would check Maf or Map sensor. To check fuel pressure regulator check
with a hand vacuum pump to see if diaphram holds vacuum or leaks only
very slowly. Also put clear tube in place of rubber hose and run
engine to see if you see fuel leaking. To check coolant sensor hook up
voltmeter to coolant sensor wires and start cold and see if voltage
drops to under 1 volt as car warms up. And for a map sensor check to
see if sensor holds vacuum or leaks very slowly and check vacuum hose
to sensor. If Maf sensor you needs a voltmeter and specs but usually
if car runs normally Maf is working.

Old July 11th 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
elainebs63

After changing the fuel pressure regulator, the engine will not start
however in the process of changing the regulator, I found what I think
is called the EGR Tube, where it hooks into the intake manifold. It was
completely stopped off with carbon and grease I cleaned everything
thoroughly without damaging anythingg and everything that came apart
when back together
And with confidence I say everything it was just right, no pushing or
banging, it felt good if you know what I mean,..
thank you for your previous and future response

Old July 11th 06, 10:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
elainebs63

in addition to the last post I came up with only code 55