bio-diesel hybrid future

Old August 27th 05, 02:45 PM
Don Stauffer

Default bio-diesel hybrid future

I still wonder about the programmed combustion engine, as in the Ford
Proco research. Diesel fuels still need to have a sufficient cetane
rating, which I understand takes careful refining. Existing spark
ignition engines take a high octane rating. Supposedly the proco
engine- a hybrid between the diesel and the SI engine, would run on a
wider cut- less refining- than either motor diesel fuels or gasoline.
Sounds like an ideal solution to me. It was basically a diesel cycle,
but had a spark plug to ignite the mixture rather than rely on CI.
Anyone have any idea on why it failed.

Old August 27th 05, 07:26 PM
Martin Hotze

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 18:35:24 +0200, shakiro wrote:

>So, for 2.4 kWh daily energy, which is equivalent to 2.4 kWh / 24 hours =
>100 W continuous, one would need about 7 m^2 of solar panel on the roof.
>It's not too difficult to do this.

where will you get the light during ALL the 24 hours when the sun does not
shine?

#m

--
The most likely way for the world to be destroyed,
most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we
Old August 27th 05, 08:09 PM
UltraJohn

shakiro wrote:

> It is not impossible to generate this energy on a daily basis by replacing
> the roof materials of family houses by solar panels with a high
> efficiency. In The Netherlands for instance, a 150 W peak power solar
> panel (about 1 m^2 in size, generates on average about 15 W power
> continuously. So, for 2.4 kWh daily energy, which is equivalent to 2.4 kWh
> / 24 hours = 100 W continuous, one would need about 7 m^2 of solar panel
> on the roof. It's not too difficult to do this.

The difficult part is getting the sun on it for 24 hours each day! ;-)
You might want to recompute with some more realistic daylight hours. Also
efficiency drops off a lot in morning and evening and I'm not sure your
"average" figures take that into account.
John

Old August 28th 05, 12:49 AM
Blueskies

The earth is a huge dynamo. Need to figure out how to harvest the ionosphere...still solar but more electromagnetic than
photonic...

Old August 28th 05, 03:40 AM

Oracle > wrote:

> Hemp
>requires no pesticides to grow; as it's naturally resistant, making it
>that much cheaper to grow. Corn requires pesticides, which adds to its
>costs. Furthermore, hemp can typically yield three times as much
>convertable crop as corn. This means, if given a chance, hemp could

Wow

Didn't know all this
Old August 28th 05, 11:21 AM
shakiro

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 23:49:04 +0000, Blueskies wrote:

> The earth is a huge dynamo. Need to figure out how to harvest the ionosphere...still solar but more electromagnetic than
> photonic...

To what are you exactly replying?

shakiro

Old August 28th 05, 11:22 AM
shakiro

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 20:26:29 +0200, Martin Hotze wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 18:35:24 +0200, shakiro wrote:
>
>>So, for 2.4 kWh daily energy, which is equivalent to 2.4 kWh / 24 hours =
>>100 W continuous, one would need about 7 m^2 of solar panel on the roof.
>>It's not too difficult to do this.

> where will you get the light during ALL the 24 hours when the sun does not
> shine?

Some energy storage? Maybe hydrogen?

shakiro

Old August 28th 05, 11:35 AM
shakiro

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 19:09:06 +0000, UltraJohn wrote:

> shakiro wrote:
>

>> It is not impossible to generate this energy on a daily basis by replacing
>> the roof materials of family houses by solar panels with a high
>> efficiency. In The Netherlands for instance, a 150 W peak power solar
>> panel (about 1 m^2 in size, generates on average about 15 W power
>> continuously. So, for 2.4 kWh daily energy, which is equivalent to 2.4 kWh
>> / 24 hours = 100 W continuous, one would need about 7 m^2 of solar panel
>> on the roof. It's not too difficult to do this.
>>

> The difficult part is getting the sun on it for 24 hours each day! ;-)
> You might want to recompute with some more realistic daylight hours. Also
> efficiency drops off a lot in morning and evening and I'm not sure your
> "average" figures take that into account.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that in this calculation already the
averages are taken as an assumption. Probably you are confused by the word
'peak power' (actually 2 words .
It means that if you have a solar panel that is able to generate a peak
power of 150 W at full sun, in The Netherlands such a panel produces,
averaged over one year, a continuous power of almost 15 W.

And if you want to nitpick about decimal numbers be my guest, but not with
me please, in that case please put 8 m^2 on your roof.

shakiro