Heated seat fault - 96 ZJ

Old March 5th 05, 12:44 PM
Frank Pell

Default Heated seat fault - 96 ZJ

The drivers side heated seat on my 96 ZJ has stopped working although the
passenger side works fine. I recall seeing a post a while back to the effect
that a common weak point was where the power wire connected to the seat
heater mesh as it was constantly being flexed through use of the seat. The
solution was to re-solder this connection.

I am not sure where this connection is located or how to get at it. Anyone
got any schematics to e-mail or can point me to a detailed guide on the web?

Thanks

Frank

Old March 5th 05, 02:23 PM
mic canic

you have to remove the seat cushion cover if it's burn't you can easyly see it
it has a resistor in line and if thats popped then the grid is no good and can't
be repaired but the grids can be bought by them selfs

Old March 5th 05, 02:37 PM
Mike Romain

Do the resistor wires wear out from the heat of extended use or do they
fail because of a fault in the grid usually?

If from extended use, new resistor wire can be bought by the foot and
crimped in.

Just a thought...

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old March 10th 05, 01:52 AM
mic canic

the ones i have seen are usually burnt in half and the bad ones even scorch the seat
covers. the resistor is just that a p.t.c as it's known, positive temp. coefficient

Old March 10th 05, 01:31 PM
Mike Romain

Something like a burned fuse link wire then.

Di you know what the resistance for the grid should be so folks could
meter it to see if it is still good?

I'll bet a $2.00 piece of resistor wire and a couple crimps is a pile
cheaper than a new unit.

Mike

Old March 12th 05, 02:06 AM
mic canic

the thing i check for is continutity in the grid not so much for resistence because i
know it's there on one wire and thats with the seat intact if the npc is bad the drb has a
fault recorded in the memory seat module
the replacement grid is only 25.00 us dollars for that year
and just recently i have been using the grids for 2002 and 2003 on the 2000 grands that
require the whole dam 800 dollar cover but you must remove the padding to get some kind of
warmth thru the cover
i would think the krimp on connectors would wear thru the seat cover or at least be a bump
were there was not one before

Mike Romain wrote:

> Something like a burned fuse link wire then.
>
> Di you know what the resistance for the grid should be so folks could
> meter it to see if it is still good?
>
> I'll bet a $2.00 piece of resistor wire and a couple crimps is a pile
> cheaper than a new unit.
>
> Mike
>
> mic canic wrote:
> >
> > the ones i have seen are usually burnt in half and the bad ones even scorch the seat
> > covers. the resistor is just that a p.t.c as it's known, positive temp. coefficient
> >
> > Mike Romain wrote:
> >
> > > Do the resistor wires wear out from the heat of extended use or do they
> > > fail because of a fault in the grid usually?
> > >
> > > If from extended use, new resistor wire can be bought by the foot and
> > > crimped in.
> > >
> > > Just a thought...
> > >
> > > Mike
> > > 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00
> > > 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Racing seat in a Ram 1500 [email protected] Chrysler 2 February 9th 05 05:21 AM
Design Fault A4 Cab Vass Audi 0 January 26th 05 02:23 PM
2001 Accord Coupe Seat Covers scobby Honda 0 December 7th 04 07:53 PM
Putting a 3rd row seat in a 00-01 Escalade. re5513 4x4 0 November 14th 04 04:20 AM
Which car seat for a Celica 1997? Zanziba General 1 October 9th 04 11:55 PM