93 G Caravan 3.3L Flex Plate

Old September 12th 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
[email protected]

Default 93 G Caravan 3.3L Flex Plate

Hello everyone

I have fixed the brakes on my caravan (woo pee) however I am still
trying to find the erratating noise that is coming from the engine. I
finally broke down and took it to the dealer to have them check it out
and they said the torque converter bolts were loose and it needed a new
flex plate and guess how much he wants to do the repair, yes you got it
a arm and a leg $1900.00

Question 1. Is this something I can tackle myself with a good knowledge
of mechanics? (mechanic at Harley 10 yrs but bikes and cars are 2
different beast)

Question 2. Where might I find the removal process to R&R the flex
plate and Tconverter bolts? IE a service manual or something. I have
heard from previous post here that chiltons and haynes suck.

Thank you very much for the help!!!

Old September 12th 06, 11:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
MT-2500[_26_]

Wrote:
> Hello everyone
>
> I have fixed the brakes on my caravan (woo pee) however I am still
> trying to find the erratating noise that is coming from the engine. I
> finally broke down and took it to the dealer to have them check it out
> and they said the torque converter bolts were loose and it needed a
> new
> flex plate and guess how much he wants to do the repair, yes you got
> it
> a arm and a leg $1900.00
>
> Question 1. Is this something I can tackle myself with a good
> knowledge
> of mechanics? (mechanic at Harley 10 yrs but bikes and cars are 2
> different beast)
>
> Question 2. Where might I find the removal process to R&R the flex
> plate and Tconverter bolts? IE a service manual or something. I have
> heard from previous post here that chiltons and haynes suck.
>
> Thank you very much for the help!!!

I would have a good look at it or.
I would find a good repair shop and get them to check it out.
New bolts may fix it without pulling transmission.
But if transmission has to come out to replace flex plate or converter

Labor can run from 5-7or 8 hrs.
Unless you have the equipment the transmission R&R is a big repair.

A chilton or hanes may help but a factory sevice manual is better.
Or a all dat sub.
http://www.alldata.com/products/diy/index.html

Tips on finding a good repair shop.
Check around Ask around
Word of mouth.
Family friends coworkers neighbors business people and delivery
people.
Mailmen and parcel delivery people get around and notice a lot of
stuff.
Even a good parts house knows what shops are good and not good.
Chamber of commerce and better business bureau and city hall.
If you find a good referral to a repair shop go look them over and talk
to them.
Look for a clean looking busy place with nice people running it.
Ask a few questions and ask about their qualifications and training.
Not all places have trained tech/mechanics.
If they do not find a place that does.
Even all dealers do not have all trained techs/mechanics.
Good Luck MT

--
MT-2500
MT-2500's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=382930

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old September 13th 06, 12:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
[email protected]

Thanks MT-2500
I think I can replace the bolts on the Torque converter (this is a 93
dodge grand caravan SE 3.3L FWD) just by removing the splash guard but
to remove the cracked flex plate I thought I could just slide the
tranny back far enough to get my hands in there to r&r the plate not
sure but soon as a find a good service manual I'll let you know
thanks again !!

Old September 13th 06, 02:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
MT-2500[_27_]

Wrote:
> > > Hello everyone
> > >
> > > I have fixed the brakes on my caravan (woo pee) however I am still
> > > trying to find the erratating noise that is coming from the engine.

> > > finally broke down and took it to the dealer to have them check it

> out
> > > and they said the torque converter bolts were loose and it needed

> > > new
> > > flex plate and guess how much he wants to do the repair, yes you

> got
> > > it
> > > a arm and a leg $1900.00
> > >
> > > Question 1. Is this something I can tackle myself with a good
> > > knowledge
> > > of mechanics? (mechanic at Harley 10 yrs but bikes and cars are 2
> > > different beast)
> > >
> > > Question 2. Where might I find the removal process to R&R the flex
> > > plate and Tconverter bolts? IE a service manual or something. I

> have
> > > heard from previous post here that chiltons and haynes suck.
> > >
> > > Thank you very much for the help!!!

> > I would have a good look at it or.
> > I would find a good repair shop and get them to check it out.
> > New bolts may fix it without pulling transmission.
> > But if transmission has to come out to replace flex plate or

> converter
> >
> > Labor can run from 5-7or 8 hrs.
> > Unless you have the equipment the transmission R&R is a big repair.
> >
> > A chilton or hanes may help but a factory sevice manual is better.
> > Or a all dat sub.

http://www.alldata.com/products/diy/index.html

> > Tips on finding a good repair shop.
> > Check around Ask around
> > Word of mouth.
> > Family friends coworkers neighbors business people and delivery
> > people.
> > Mailmen and parcel delivery people get around and notice a lot of
> > stuff.
> > Even a good parts house knows what shops are good and not good.
> > Chamber of commerce and better business bureau and city hall.
> > If you find a good referral to a repair shop go look them over and

> talk
> > to them.
> > Look for a clean looking busy place with nice people running it.
> > Ask a few questions and ask about their qualifications and training.
> > Not all places have trained tech/mechanics.
> > If they do not find a place that does.
> > Even all dealers do not have all trained techs/mechanics.
> > Good Luck MT
> >

> > --
> > MT-2500

> > MT-2500's Profile:

> http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=382930
> > View this thread:

> http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=618717
> >
> > http://www.automotiveforums.com

I would see if you can just replace the bolts from front by removing
the inspection plate.

To change the flex plate you almost have to remove the transmission.
Good luck
MT