What Is Term For Metallic Particles In Paint?

Old July 17th 05, 09:32 PM

I think this is the right term. The metallic flakes have to be
oriented a certain way or it doesn't match the car.

By the way, only high-end cars have mica, and the Accord doesn't
qualify. Accord is metallic.

Old July 17th 05, 10:02 PM

Accord is a study of efficiency, and doesn't indulge with true excess.
After 5,500 miles with my '04 EX V6, and coming out of an Infiniti
I30t, I can name lots of cost cutters utilized in the Accord. And it
doesn't bother me, because I chose to save about $10,000 even though I
could afford it.

*Soundproofing -- completely inadequate.
*Limited Slip Differential -- missing in action, this car desperately
need it considering the 240 hp. The Traction Control cost them almost
nothing to add, and doesn't work worth a hoot.
*Leather -- definitely low grade stuff, and will probably start
disintegrating in 5 years if not cared for religiously.
*No fog or turn lights standard.
*Unbelieveably cheezy front license plate holder doesn't even fit
standard-sized plates.
*The paint has little luster, and no depth at all. You can wax all you
want, you won't improve the appearance any.
*The ride, at least with the standard 16" alloys on the EX V6, is much
too jiggly. To show the TL in a better light, I think Honda
intentionally sucked some of the "double wishbone performance" out of
the Accord. Good on paper, mediocre ride in actuality.
*Jeez, just how many pieces did they use to assemble the dash? It
looks good, but seems to be a lego set.
*Creaks, rattles.
*Too little boost in the power steering at low speeds, again to
distinguish it from the TL.
*Even though the stereo system is a great improvement over previous
Honda's, they couldn't have spent more than $5 on the rear speakers.
Exotic Neodymium magnets? HA. Small and cheap, and can't even keep up
with the head unit's marginally good output.

Old July 18th 05, 03:42 AM
SoCalMike

Dick wrote:
> I can't believe what they charge for the paint for Honda's. We had
> only the hood and front bumper cover painted and the paint material
> alone was $400. Would hate to think of what it would cost to paint a
> house with that paint! :-)

that $400 wasnt just for a quart of paint. chances are, they had to buy:

primer
plastic primer for bumpers (unless you like the peel-off paint look)
base coat- dual stage paint
urethane thinner
urethane hardener
color coat- dual stage paint
clear coat.

that works out to an average of $57 per item. color coat was probably in
the area of $100/qt.

compare that to $80 for a 5 gallon bucket of premium latex paint at
lowes. i was able to paint my moms house with 2 buckets, and a "wagner
paint crew" sprayer.

80 quarts of paint, times $300 (ill leave off the plastic primer) means
$24k for the nicest looking home in southern california! hehe