Is it legal to hit other cars on the road?

Old February 24th 05, 04:44 AM
Universal Soldier

Default Is it legal to hit other cars on the road?

If I have the right of way, like on an X intersection with a minor road,
where the minor road has stop signs, mine does not. If someone is making a
left turn from the minor road onto my road, but his movement is blocked by
cars in front of him. Is it legal for me to hit his car?

Suppose I could stop, but I'm angry that they are blocking my way and I
think the insurance settlement might be more than my car's market value. Is
it OK for me to just keep going and take my right of way, even though I
could stop to prevent the collision?
Old February 24th 05, 05:37 AM
Dan Ganek

Universal Soldier wrote:
> If I have the right of way, like on an X intersection with a minor road,
> where the minor road has stop signs, mine does not. If someone is making a
> left turn from the minor road onto my road, but his movement is blocked by
> cars in front of him. Is it legal for me to hit his car?
>
> Suppose I could stop, but I'm angry that they are blocking my way and I
> think the insurance settlement might be more than my car's market value. Is
> it OK for me to just keep going and take my right of way, even though I
> could stop to prevent the collision?

Are you serious? Of course it's not legal. Even in MA it's illegal.
You have a legal responsibility to prevent an accident under all
conditions.

/dan

Old February 24th 05, 05:53 AM
Universal Soldier

Dan Ganek wrote:

> Universal Soldier wrote:
>> If I have the right of way, like on an X intersection with a minor road,
>> where the minor road has stop signs, mine does not. If someone is making
>> a left turn from the minor road onto my road, but his movement is blocked
>> by cars in front of him. Is it legal for me to hit his car?
>>
>> Suppose I could stop, but I'm angry that they are blocking my way and I
>> think the insurance settlement might be more than my car's market value.
>> Is it OK for me to just keep going and take my right of way, even though
>> I could stop to prevent the collision?

> Are you serious? Of course it's not legal. Even in MA it's illegal.
> You have a legal responsibility to prevent an accident under all
> conditions.
>
> /dan

Let's say I'm making a left turn from a minor road, and you are coming from
my left. Normally, I would wait until the road is clear for me to make the
left turn. But by your logic, it's OK to drive into the middle of the road,
blocking you, stand there, until there is a gap in the traffic coming from
my right, and move only then? Because if it's not OK for you to hit my car
(according to you), I can do whatever the hell I want.

More realistically, how would the courts decide or insurance companies
settle in the above scenario - that's what determines "right" and "wrong".
Old February 24th 05, 06:04 AM
Universal Soldier

Universal Soldier wrote:

> Dan Ganek wrote:
>
>> Universal Soldier wrote:
>>> If I have the right of way, like on an X intersection with a minor road,
>>> where the minor road has stop signs, mine does not. If someone is making
>>> a left turn from the minor road onto my road, but his movement is
>>> blocked by cars in front of him. Is it legal for me to hit his car?
>>>
>>> Suppose I could stop, but I'm angry that they are blocking my way and I
>>> think the insurance settlement might be more than my car's market value.
>>> Is it OK for me to just keep going and take my right of way, even though
>>> I could stop to prevent the collision?

>> Are you serious? Of course it's not legal. Even in MA it's illegal.
>> You have a legal responsibility to prevent an accident under all
>> conditions.
>>
>> /dan

> Let's say I'm making a left turn from a minor road, and you are coming
> from my left. Normally, I would wait until the road is clear for me to
> make the left turn. But by your logic, it's OK to drive into the middle of
> the road, blocking you, stand there, until there is a gap in the traffic
> coming from my right, and move only then? Because if it's not OK for you
> to hit my car (according to you), I can do whatever the hell I want.
>
> More realistically, how would the courts decide or insurance companies
> settle in the above scenario - that's what determines "right" and "wrong".

Obligatory ASCII art:

| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
=============== =================
8|||<
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

============== _ =================
| _ |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
Old February 24th 05, 06:11 AM
Garth Almgren

Around 2/23/2005 8:37 PM, Dan Ganek wrote:

> Universal Troll wrote:
>
>> <snip stupid question>

> Are you serious?

No, he's not; He's just trolling.

--
~/Garth |"I believe that it is better to tell the truth than a lie.
Almgren | I believe it is better to be free than to be a slave.
Old February 24th 05, 06:13 AM
C.H.

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 19:44:02 -0800, Universal Soldier wrote:

> If I have the right of way, like on an X intersection with a minor road,
> where the minor road has stop signs, mine does not. If someone is making a
> left turn from the minor road onto my road, but his movement is blocked by
> cars in front of him. Is it legal for me to hit his car?

Fortunately not ('failure to avoid an accident', insurance fraud, possibly
manslaughter).

> Suppose I could stop, but I'm angry that they are blocking my way and I

You need anger management classes.

> think the insurance settlement might be more than my car's market value. Is

In other words, you intentionally cause an accident because of greed.
Might be murder if the other driver dies.

> it OK for me to just keep going and take my right of way, even though I
> could stop to prevent the collision?

No, it is not ok, and it is illegal and terminally stupid to boot.

Now I realize that you are very likely an excessively stupid troll, but on
the off chance that you are not a troll but indeed as stupid as you try to
come across he Imagine you made a mistake and someone else just t-boned
you intentionally and killed you, would you still think 'it was ok'?

Chris
Old February 24th 05, 06:18 AM
DCI

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 21:13:50 -0800, "C.H." >
wrote:

>On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 19:44:02 -0800, Universal Soldier wrote:
>
>> If I have the right of way, like on an X intersection with a minor road,
>> where the minor road has stop signs, mine does not. If someone is making a
>> left turn from the minor road onto my road, but his movement is blocked by
>> cars in front of him. Is it legal for me to hit his car?

>Fortunately not ('failure to avoid an accident', insurance fraud, possibly
>manslaughter).
>
>> Suppose I could stop, but I'm angry that they are blocking my way and I

>You need anger management classes.
>
>> think the insurance settlement might be more than my car's market value. Is

>In other words, you intentionally cause an accident because of greed.
>Might be murder if the other driver dies.
>
>> it OK for me to just keep going and take my right of way, even though I
>> could stop to prevent the collision?

>No, it is not ok, and it is illegal and terminally stupid to boot.
>
>Now I realize that you are very likely an excessively stupid troll, but on
>the off chance that you are not a troll but indeed as stupid as you try to
>come across he Imagine you made a mistake and someone else just t-boned
>you intentionally and killed you, would you still think 'it was ok'?
>
>Chris

Chris, if he's dead, he can't think.

DCI
Old February 24th 05, 06:19 AM
C.H.

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 20:53:01 -0800, Universal Soldier wrote:

> Dan Ganek wrote:
>
>> Are you serious? Of course it's not legal. Even in MA it's illegal.
>> You have a legal responsibility to prevent an accident under all
>> conditions.
>>

> Let's say I'm making a left turn from a minor road, and you are coming from
> my left. Normally, I would wait until the road is clear for me to make the
> left turn. But by your logic, it's OK to drive into the middle of the road,
> blocking you, stand there, until there is a gap in the traffic coming from
> my right, and move only then?

No, that would be wrong too. You apparently are a total failure at logic
our you would know that A->B does by no means mean B->A.

But two wrongs don't make a right, never have, never will.

> Because if it's not OK for you to hit my car (according to you), I can
> do whatever the hell I want.

No, you can't, at least not if you are at least halfway human.

> More realistically, how would the courts decide or insurance companies
> settle in the above scenario - that's what determines "right" and "wrong".

If they could prove (and you would be surprised, what can be proven today)
that you intentionally caused the accident, you would go to jail (or
prison, depending on whether you 'only' damaged property or killed someone).

Chris
Old February 24th 05, 06:28 AM
Universal Soldier

C.H. wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 19:44:02 -0800, Universal Soldier wrote:
>
>> If I have the right of way, like on an X intersection with a minor road,
>> where the minor road has stop signs, mine does not. If someone is making
>> a left turn from the minor road onto my road, but his movement is blocked
>> by cars in front of him. Is it legal for me to hit his car?

> Fortunately not ('failure to avoid an accident', insurance fraud, possibly
> manslaughter).

So, by your logic, it's perfectly OK for the driver of the second car (left
to right) to stand there and wait for the third car to pass? If he gets hit
by the first car, it's the first car's driver's 'failure to avoid an
accident' ? So we can all start driving like car #2 ?

***************|*******|*
***************|*******|*
***************|*******|*
***************|*******|*****************
***************|*******|*****************
===============*-- ****=================*
************************8|||<************
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -**
***********>|||8***_*****************************
==============*****_*--=================*
**************|****_***|
**************|********|*
**************|********|**************************
**************|********|*
**************|********|*

I should have qualified what I mean by "legal". By legal I mean when the
accident is not judged to be my fault. If car #1 collides with car #2,
blocking its way, whose fault will the accident be (assuming no one was
speeding, the weather and visibility are great)
Old February 24th 05, 06:54 AM
Laura Bush murdered her boy friend

Dan Ganek wrote:
> Universal Soldier wrote:
> > If I have the right of way, like on an X intersection with a minor

road,
> > where the minor road has stop signs, mine does not. If someone is

making a
> > left turn from the minor road onto my road, but his movement is

blocked by
> > cars in front of him. Is it legal for me to hit his car?
> >
> > Suppose I could stop, but I'm angry that they are blocking my way

and I
> > think the insurance settlement might be more than my car's market

value. Is
> > it OK for me to just keep going and take my right of way, even

though I
> > could stop to prevent the collision?

> Are you serious? Of course it's not legal. Even in MA it's illegal.
> You have a legal responsibility to prevent an accident under all
> conditions.

But how can the state prove you chose to NOT prevent the crash? The
other driver had no business pulling in front of you and he's to blame.
You just say sumping like "hey - i tried to stop but there wasn't
time."