door panel replacement on C3

Old March 14th 05, 10:05 PM
YT

Default door panel replacement on C3

Hi,

I'm in the middle of a restoration and had my door panels removed to
sandblast the iron innerparts. Now I want to replace the skins with new
ones.

The doors are out of the car. Which is the best way to do this ?

Thanks

YT

Old March 15th 05, 04:14 AM
Bob G

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 22:05:27 +0100, "YT" > wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm in the middle of a restoration and had my door panels removed to
>sandblast the iron innerparts. Now I want to replace the skins with new
>ones.
>
>The doors are out of the car. Which is the best way to do this ?
>
>Thanks
>
>YT

============================
I think you are trying to recover your door panels with skins....
IF SO I would suggest you forget it and buy complete replacement
panels...

I picked up a set of skins dirt cheap at Carlisle years ago for one of
my cars and honestly it was not a real easy task to glue the skins
on the old panels... I would do it again only if I had a hell of a
lot of time and no money...!

Bob Griffiths
64 72 76 79 & 95 Corvettes\68 SS 396 Chevelle

Old March 15th 05, 04:27 AM
Dad

"Bob G" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 22:05:27 +0100, "YT" > wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm in the middle of a restoration and had my door panels removed to
>>sandblast the iron innerparts. Now I want to replace the skins with new
>>ones.
>>
>>The doors are out of the car. Which is the best way to do this ?
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>YT

> ============================
> I think you are trying to recover your door panels with skins....
> IF SO I would suggest you forget it and buy complete replacement
> panels...
>
> I picked up a set of skins dirt cheap at Carlisle years ago for one of
> my cars and honestly it was not a real easy task to glue the skins
> on the old panels... I would do it again only if I had a hell of a
> lot of time and no money...!
>
> Bob Griffiths
> 64 72 76 79 & 95 Corvettes\68 SS 396 Chevelle

When ever I've put a new skin on it is with the door on the car latched with
the hinges in a neutral position. I use temporary threaded pegs on the
inside of the skin. With the adhesive applied the panel is fitted to the
exterior of the car by adjusting the tension on the pegs and seam shims.
After it sets up I remove the pegs and clean off the adhesive that attached
them. It only took one warped door to get a better way to put them on.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old March 15th 05, 07:17 PM
'Key

"YT" > wrote in message
i.nl...
> Hi,
>
> I'm in the middle of a restoration and had my door panels
> removed to
> sandblast the iron innerparts. Now I want to replace the
> skins with new
> ones.
>
> The doors are out of the car. Which is the best way to do
> this ?
>
> Thanks
>
> YT

your best bet would be to order a new replacment.
http://www.ecklers.com/find.asp?mscs...2F15K39K9ES546
C2G6KF0405AE

has a length of 72 characters and resulted in the following
TinyURL which has a length of 24 characters:
http://tinyurl.com/6d9s3
g'luck
--
"Key"

Old March 17th 05, 02:52 AM
BDragon

"YT" > wrote in message
i.nl...
> Hi,
>
> I'm in the middle of a restoration and had my door panels removed to
> sandblast the iron innerparts. Now I want to replace the skins with new
> ones.
>
> The doors are out of the car. Which is the best way to do this ?
>
> Thanks
>
> YT

If you mean methodology, I'd listen to Dad. He isn't called that for
nothing. If you're just looking for some suggestions or other-than-normal
ways to get it done. I took my panels to Mexico. Tijuana, in fact, which
is a lot better than it was fifty years ago, although I do miss the donkey.
But I got the panels recovered in five hours, for a cost of $125 per panel.
It is a really good job. I chose the material which is the same as what we
get in the States.

Of course, if you're in Canada, nevermind.

Old March 19th 05, 09:50 PM
YT

Thanks Dad, but what do you mean with the pegs ?

Thanks

YT
i.nl...

Old March 20th 05, 12:10 AM
Dad

The threaded pegs are used to pull the skin into position in line with the
body, the shims are to maintain the door gap. Both can then hold it in
position until the adhesive sets/cures. You will have done allot of fitting
before you get to this point.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51