starting problems

Old April 2nd 05, 05:30 PM

Default starting problems

Been having two different starting problems on two different Cavaliers
that I was hoping someone could give me some insight on.

Problem #1. 96 Cavalier. When you turn the key the egnine grinds,
rrrr-rrrr-rrrr-rrrr -- and may or may not turn over. Sometimes the
power just fades away to nothing, and you have to try it again.

However, if I flick the key and let go immediately the car will start
right way. Sometimes it might rumble or hesitate for a second but
eventually it will work its way into an idle. I would live with it the
way it is but my wife is having a hard time getting the technique down.
This is especially problematic now because my other car has suddenly
stopped working.

Problem #2. 95 Cavalier (don't ask why I happen to own two Cavaliers).
On this car a mechanic replaced the starter three months ago. Seemed
to run okay, but just of late I can't get it started. One of three
things happen when you insert the key in the ignition:

1. Initially light and radio, but when you turn the key everything
goes dead. No starter, no click, nothing. Usually you only get one
shot at this because afterward everything -- lights, radio, etc -- will
be dead for a while.
2. Nothing. No lights, no radio in any key position.
3. Sometimes I will get the click of the selenoid.
4. Once or twice I progressed all the way to the grind of the starter
-- rrrrrrrrr -- but the engine didn't even think about turning over.

I would guess that one of two things happened. Either it's related to
my earlier starter problem, or I never needed the starter in the first
place and the replaced starter somehow masked the problem for a few
months. What I don't understand is if it was related to the starter
why it would reek havok on my entire electrical system. Shouldn't the
radio and lights work regardless?

I figured the above two problems are common and maybe someone could
give me tips on what I could check to diagnose the problem and maybe
even fix it.

Thank you for your time,
Brian

Old April 2nd 05, 09:11 PM
fweddybear

> Been having two different starting problems on two different Cavaliers
> that I was hoping someone could give me some insight on.
>
> Problem #1. 96 Cavalier. When you turn the key the egnine grinds,
> rrrr-rrrr-rrrr-rrrr -- and may or may not turn over. Sometimes the
> power just fades away to nothing, and you have to try it again.
>
> However, if I flick the key and let go immediately the car will start
> right way. Sometimes it might rumble or hesitate for a second but
> eventually it will work its way into an idle. I would live with it the
> way it is but my wife is having a hard time getting the technique down.
> This is especially problematic now because my other car has suddenly
> stopped working.
>
> Problem #2. 95 Cavalier (don't ask why I happen to own two Cavaliers).
> On this car a mechanic replaced the starter three months ago. Seemed
> to run okay, but just of late I can't get it started. One of three
> things happen when you insert the key in the ignition:
>
> 1. Initially light and radio, but when you turn the key everything
> goes dead. No starter, no click, nothing. Usually you only get one
> shot at this because afterward everything -- lights, radio, etc -- will
> be dead for a while.
> 2. Nothing. No lights, no radio in any key position.
> 3. Sometimes I will get the click of the selenoid.
> 4. Once or twice I progressed all the way to the grind of the starter
> -- rrrrrrrrr -- but the engine didn't even think about turning over.
>
> I would guess that one of two things happened. Either it's related to
> my earlier starter problem, or I never needed the starter in the first
> place and the replaced starter somehow masked the problem for a few
> months. What I don't understand is if it was related to the starter
> why it would reek havok on my entire electrical system. Shouldn't the
> radio and lights work regardless?
>
> I figured the above two problems are common and maybe someone could
> give me tips on what I could check to diagnose the problem and maybe
> even fix it.
>
> Thank you for your time,
> Brian

Problem number 1 sounds like is the starter.... although I don't know
how old your battery is....but...next time this happens,, try taking a
hammer and tap on the starter (lightly) a few times.... if you get back in
and it starts up you have a problem in your starter..... if it doesn't work,
try a second time...you can either rebuild it or replace it....

Problem number 2 sounds like a battery.... how old is it?? have you
checked it? could also be the connection isn't making great
contact....check the cables too...

good Luck

Fwed

Old April 4th 05, 06:17 PM

Thanks Fwed.

Switched batteries between the two cars, and you were right, it was in
fact the battery that was causing problems on the 95.

Brian

starting problems sandra312 Chrysler 10 October 19th 04 05:11 PM
STARTING PROBLEMS WITH EARLY BMW'S SPECIFICALLY 735IL Hans Van Der Heyden BMW 0 October 13th 04 09:09 AM
Hot weather starting problems John Ings Mazda 0 September 13th 04 02:16 PM