Article: Five Tips for Safer Driving

Old August 29th 06, 05:59 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving,aus.cars,hfx.general
[email protected]

Default Article: Five Tips for Safer Driving

more at: http://www.speedingticketsecrets.com

Five Tips for Safer Driving

· Aim High in Steering - Look ahead to where you will be at least 15
seconds from now. This way you are aware of changing traffic patterns.
To calculate your 15 second lead time, pick a stationary point up ahead
and start counting "one one thousand, two one thousand". If you get to
the object before "fifteen one thousand" then you need to start looking
further ahead.

· Get the Big Picture - While glancing ahead, don't forget the sides
and rear. Consistently update your information.

· Keep Your Eyes Moving - Focusing on any object for too long reduces
your peripheral vision - your early warning system.

·Leave Yourself an Out - When possible, surround your car or truck
with lots of space. Give yourself enough room on all sides to "escape"
should the need arise.

·Make Sure They See You - Eye contact is insurance against the
unexpected.

These tips are applicable regardless of your type of vehicle,
and regaurd less of your speed. But to be safe, the faster you go
the further ahead you should look.

Share the road and be safe!

more at: http://www.speedingticketsecrets.com

Old August 29th 06, 10:50 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving,aus.cars,hfx.general
Ben Thomas

wrote:
> more at:
http://www.speedingticketsecrets.com

> Five Tips for Safer Driving
>
> · Aim High in Steering - Look ahead to where you will be at least 15
> seconds from now. This way you are aware of changing traffic patterns.
> To calculate your 15 second lead time, pick a stationary point up ahead
> and start counting "one one thousand, two one thousand". If you get to
> the object before "fifteen one thousand" then you need to start looking
> further ahead.

Too difficult for most. Focus on the car in front of you and stamp on
the brakes whenever their brake lights come on.

> · Get the Big Picture - While glancing ahead, don't forget the sides
> and rear. Consistently update your information.

Too difficult for most. Focus solely on car directly in front.

> · Keep Your Eyes Moving - Focusing on any object for too long reduces
> your peripheral vision - your early warning system.

The most you can expect is constantly scanning the radio for traffic
info, the phone for new SMS messages, and the DVD player for the best
porn scene.

> ·Leave Yourself an Out - When possible, surround your car or truck
> with lots of space. Give yourself enough room on all sides to "escape"
> should the need arise.

Not possible in Melbourne. If there's a gap big enough for another car,
one will obliging fill that space at the earliest opportunity.

> ·Make Sure They See You - Eye contact is insurance against the
> unexpected.

Eye contact is impossible. Drivers in Melbourne make a point of
avoiding eye contact, particularly after they've moved into that escape
space you just left.

> These tips are applicable regardless of your type of vehicle,
> and regaurd less of your speed. But to be safe, the faster you go
> the further ahead you should look.

Too busy looking at the speedo to look further than one car ahead in
this town.

> Share the road and be safe!

No! It's my road, it's my lane, it's my parking space. How dare anyone
else want to go faster than me, or to the same place as me.

:P
Old August 30th 06, 03:19 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving,aus.cars,hfx.general
My Land of Misery

Let's see what I figure out here based on Missouri experience.

wrote:
> more at:
http://www.speedingticketsecrets.com

> Five Tips for Safer Driving
>
> · Aim High in Steering - Look ahead to where you will be at least 15
> seconds from now. This way you are aware of changing traffic patterns.
> To calculate your 15 second lead time, pick a stationary point up ahead
> and start counting "one one thousand, two one thousand". If you get to
> the object before "fifteen one thousand" then you need to start looking
> further ahead.

mlom: Easy to pull off on an Interstate. Get on one of the state roads
in my area, 15 seconds is 2 or 3 hills. That's why the law set up for
a 60 speed limit but most still post 55.

> · Get the Big Picture - While glancing ahead, don't forget the sides
> and rear. Consistently update your information.

mlom: That's why the good Lord inspired some engineer to develop rear
view mirrors. A quick glance can occur without a head turn.

> · Keep Your Eyes Moving - Focusing on any object for too long reduces
> your peripheral vision - your early warning system.

mlom: Friends don't let friends drive zoned-out. The tip also applies
to night vision: moving the eyes actually helps vision.

> ·Leave Yourself an Out - When possible, surround your car or truck
> with lots of space. Give yourself enough room on all sides to "escape"
> should the need arise.

mlom: Easier said than done in the city. Can be executed consistently
only on secondary roads with light traffic.

> ·Make Sure They See You - Eye contact is insurance against the
> unexpected.

mlom: Would flipping the bird work? I've seen a TON of other drivers
use that method.

> These tips are applicable regardless of your type of vehicle,
> and regaurd less of your speed. But to be safe, the faster you go
> the further ahead you should look.
>
> Share the road and be safe!

mlom: My vehicle can take up only a few feet of road at a time.

> more at: http://www.speedingticketsecrets.com

Interesting tip post anyway.

Old August 30th 06, 04:42 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving,aus.cars,hfx.general
gman99

wrote:
> more at:
http://www.speedingticketsecrets.com

> Five Tips for Safer Driving

Here's 5 better tips:

Get the **** off the cell phone.

Stop fiddling with the CD Player and or radio when moving...wait for a
stop light.

Put the ****ing cheeseburger down...eat BEFORE you get in the car or
after you've stopped.

Put your makeup on BEFORE you get into the car...driving down the road
and looking in the mirror to see if you have enough foundation on is
NOT a good idea. Presumably you are just being considerate and helping
out the funeral home so they don't have to fuss as much.

PAY ATTENTION...when moving leave your hands on the wheel and stop
fumbling with anything else like the radio or searching thru the glove
box or beating the kids in the back seat....

Old August 30th 06, 05:10 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving,aus.cars,hfx.general
efgh

"gman99" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> wrote:
>> more at:
http://www.speedingticketsecrets.com

>> Five Tips for Safer Driving

> Here's 5 better tips:
>
> Get the **** off the cell phone.

The wife was calling to tell me we needed milk.

> Stop fiddling with the CD Player and or radio when moving...wait for a
> stop light.

I can't stand AC/DC so I have to turn the station.

> Put the ****ing cheeseburger down...eat BEFORE you get in the car or
> after you've stopped.

Why do you think someone invented the Drive-Thru?

> Put your makeup on BEFORE you get into the car...driving down the road
> and looking in the mirror to see if you have enough foundation on is
> NOT a good idea. Presumably you are just being considerate and helping
> out the funeral home so they don't have to fuss as much.

Isn't that why the put Vanity Mirrors behind the visors so you can put your
makeup on while driving?
Besides, do you really think a funeral home would say you don't need the
makeup service?

> PAY ATTENTION...when moving leave your hands on the wheel and stop
> fumbling with anything else like the radio or searching thru the glove
> box or beating the kids in the back seat....

If I wait until I come to a red light, my anger will have subsided from
whatever the kids did to deserve a beating.

Old August 30th 06, 07:40 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving,aus.cars,hfx.general
gpsman

wrote:
> more at:
http://www.speedingticketsecrets.com

> Five Tips for Safer Driving
>
> · Aim High in Steering
> · Get the Big Picture
> · Keep Your Eyes Moving
> ·Leave Yourself an Out
> ·Make Sure They See You

Spam.

All "tips" obviously stolen from http://www.smith-system.com/

You're not even a good plagiarist.
-----

- gpsman

Old August 30th 06, 08:03 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving,aus.cars,hfx.general
Al Smith

>>Five Tips for Safer Driving
>>>
>>> · Aim High in Steering
>>> · Get the Big Picture
>>> · Keep Your Eyes Moving
>>> ·Leave Yourself an Out
>>> ·Make Sure They See You

> Spam.
>
> All "tips" obviously stolen from http://www.smith-system.com/
>
> You're not even a good plagiarist.
> -----
>
> - gpsman

Here's some original tips, my own personal code of the road:

1. Don't hit anyone.
2. Don't hit any thing.
3. Don't let any thing hit you.

Old August 30th 06, 08:09 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
gpsman

Al Smith wrote: <brevity snip/groups adjusted>

> Here's some original tips, my own personal code of the road:
>
> 1. Don't hit anyone.
> 2. Don't hit any thing.
> 3. Don't let any thing hit you.

And don't let 2 or 3 cause you to commit 1...

Those are all good tips.
-----

- gpsman

Old August 30th 06, 08:40 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving,aus.cars,hfx.general
Rainbow Warrior

"Al Smith" > wrote in message
>>>Five Tips for Safer Driving

>> Spam.
>>
>> All "tips" obviously stolen from http://www.smith-system.com/
>>
>> You're not even a good plagiarist.
>>
>> - gpsman

> Here's some original tips, my own personal code of the road:
>
> 1. Don't hit anyone.
> 2. Don't hit any thing.
> 3. Don't let any thing hit you.

Here's mine

Be careful

Old August 30th 06, 09:00 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving,aus.cars,hfx.general
feral

Rainbow Warrior wrote:
> "Al Smith" > wrote in message

>>>Spam.
>>>
>>>All "tips" obviously stolen from http://www.smith-system.com/
>>>
>>>You're not even a good plagiarist.
>>>
>>>- gpsman

>>Here's some original tips, my own personal code of the road:
>>
>>1. Don't hit anyone.
>>2. Don't hit any thing.
>>3. Don't let any thing hit you.

> Here's mine