2006 Civic Hybrid questions

Old May 3rd 06, 05:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default 2006 Civic Hybrid questions

Greetings,

I'm currently waiting (for the second time) for a Civic Hybrid. I have two
questions.

1) How can I find information about the Navigation system it includes and
how does it compare to, say, the Pioneer AVIC-Z1 (which I have my eye on).
Does it integrate well with the Civic environmental controls and so on that
the factory NAVI features? Would the installers screw up the electrical
system likely? I spoke with a Honda tech and he said it won't necessarily
void the warranty but if there is an electrical problem on a wire that leads
to the 3rd party NAV then they might not honor the fix under warranty (or
even do anything about it if I paid them to, for that matter).

2) I am interested in having a sunroof installed. I can't live without it in
my Tacoma. The salesman said it wouldn't effect mileage noticably. I'm
wondering how it might effect the balance and such regarding safety and
airbags and aerodynamics and so on. Anyone here have any information?

Thanks,
Shawn

Old May 3rd 06, 07:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Shawn B. wrote:

> 2) I am interested in having a sunroof installed. I can't live without it in
> my Tacoma. The salesman said it wouldn't effect mileage noticably. I'm
> wondering how it might effect the balance and such regarding safety and
> airbags and aerodynamics and so on. Anyone here have any information?

Tacoma gets an average 40+ inches of rain on 160 rainy days every year,
when are you ever gonna use a sunroof???

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0618-0, 05/02/2006
Tested on: 5/2/2006 11:19:42 PM

Old May 3rd 06, 01:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

>> 2) I am interested in having a sunroof installed. I can't live without it
>> in my Tacoma. The salesman said it wouldn't effect mileage noticably.
>> I'm wondering how it might effect the balance and such regarding safety
>> and airbags and aerodynamics and so on. Anyone here have any
>> information?

> Tacoma gets an average 40+ inches of rain on 160 rainy days every year,
> when are you ever gonna use a sunroof???

Sorry, my Toyota Tacoma that I'm about to replace with my Civic Hybrid.

Thanks,
Shawn

Old May 3rd 06, 03:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

My wife has a 2005 Accord Hybrid with Navigation. It is fully integrated
with radio and climate control. But when it is sunny it can be hard to see
touch screen buttons. She got the navigation because that is all they had
left on the lot and got a good deal on it. Otherwise I would not get
Navigation feature unless I had a big need for it like being in real estate
business. For one reason, Honda radios seem to be crappy and replacing it
would be impossible with navigation system.

With respect to sunroof, I wouldn't consider cutting a hole in the roof of
my brand new car but that is just me. I never use them although most cars
I've owned have had them. I like quiet climate control as I drive.

. com...

Old May 3rd 06, 10:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Honda claims its hybrid Civic sedan gets 48 mpg in the city. Consumer
Reports found it only gets 26 mpg -- a 46 percent difference.

http://www.wesh.com/painatthepump/9141621/detail.html

. com...

Old May 3rd 06, 11:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

edb > wrote:
> Honda claims its hybrid Civic sedan gets 48 mpg in the city. Consumer
> Reports found it only gets 26 mpg -- a 46 percent difference.

I don't think the Consumer Reports test was of the 2006.
The 2006 Civic can run electric-only in certain conditions, a change from
my 2003 Civic.

I don't dispute that Consumer Reports actually saw pathetic mileage, but I
almost always think their tests are really convoluted.

If this was deliberately a test of creeping around the city, the 2006
should do better, and the Ford Escape does very well, at 38mpg in a Ford
test in Manhattan. That's not where I drive, though.

My lowest mileage was 38.1, in December, 2003. I recall that I had the A/C
on for defrost almost constantly, and I expect that, and a lot of cold
start driving, is what contributed to that low reading.

--
---
Old May 4th 06, 01:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Art wrote:
> With respect to sunroof, I wouldn't consider cutting a hole in the roof of
> my brand new car but that is just me. I never use them although most cars
> I've owned have had them. I like quiet climate control as I drive.

i really wish the car companies wouldnt treat vehicles like the fit, the
xA/xB, yaris, etc as "penalty boxes"

haveing a factory sunroof would be a nice option and selling point for
me. as it stands, if i get an xA (which im leaning toward), im going to
get a sunroof installed. it was only offered once, on a special edition.
Old May 4th 06, 01:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Art wrote:
> With respect to sunroof, I wouldn't consider cutting a hole in the roof of
> my brand new car but that is just me.

the days of cheesy pop-open sunroofs is long gone. the new ones need to
be installed by an authorised dealer, and some look really nice.
Old May 4th 06, 04:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

> Honda claims its hybrid Civic sedan gets 48 mpg in the city. Consumer
> Reports found it only gets 26 mpg -- a 46 percent difference.
>
> http://www.wesh.com/painatthepump/9141621/detail.html

I have friends and family who regularily get 45-63 MPG in their 2006 Civic
Hybrid. www.greenhybrid.com is full of people who routinely achieve 50+ MPG
and people share their ideas how to achieve it because it takes a bit of
"practice" but I think its worth it.

Thanks,
Shawn

Old May 4th 06, 11:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Shawn B. wrote:
>>Honda claims its hybrid Civic sedan gets 48 mpg in the city. Consumer
>>Reports found it only gets 26 mpg -- a 46 percent difference.
>>
>>http://www.wesh.com/painatthepump/9141621/detail.html

> I have friends and family who regularily get 45-63 MPG in their 2006 Civic
> Hybrid. www.greenhybrid.com is full of people who routinely achieve 50+ MPG
> and people share their ideas how to achieve it because it takes a bit of
> "practice" but I think its worth it.

Remember that EPA tests don't measure the actual fuel consumption, they
measure the emissions produced and calculate fuel consumption from
that... and with earlier hybrids, those mehotds have yet been adjusted
to properly account for the very different hybrid operation.

They also use very controlled, standardized tests that don't necessarily
match real-world driving conditions - in theory, a manufacturer could
tweak a car's programming to produce better test readings.

That said, even with pre-hybrid cars, mileage can vary widely depending
on the individual drivers.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0618-2, 05/04/2006
Tested on: 5/4/2006 3:34:47 PM