Integra Emissions Failure

Old November 6th 04, 05:19 AM
Gordon McGrew

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 15:26:52 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

>SoCalMike > wrote:
>> recent oil change? drive at highway speeds for about a half hour to get
>> the engine nice and hot?

>Oil Change? How does that play?
>
>A couple of weeks ago, on a dark and stormy night, I chose to drive over a
>rock instead of swerve around it. My Honda Civic isn't as high off the
>ground as I thought. I cracked my aluminum oil pan.
>As I pulled over to check for damage, my Engine light came on, which the
>manual says is associated with emissions controls. The oil pressure light
>never came on, and there isn't any oil level sensor.
>
>$814 later, the car seems to be fine. $262 for the oil pan, seven hours
>labor.

This should be covered under your collision insurance if you want to
file a claim.

Old November 6th 04, 09:11 PM

Gordon McGrew > wrote:
>>$814 later, the car seems to be fine. $262 for the oil pan, seven hours
>>labor.

> This should be covered under your collision insurance if you want to
> file a claim.

Initially, I thought the cost was going to be a little lower ;-) and I
wasn't planning on filing an insurance claim.
I did file an insurance claim, and received the payment within a couple of
days.

--
---

Old November 7th 04, 11:55 PM
Barry S.

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 01:39:10 -0800, "burt squareman"
> wrote:

>> Based on the #s provided, I suspect there is some sort of fuel control
>> problem.. HCs are elevated at 25, but fine at 15. CO is fine at 15
>> MPH, but off the chart at 25 MPH.. So somewhere along the test, I
>> think the car broke into open loop mode. (non-fuel-control) This is
>> something you may want to send to a mechanic.

>A faulty ECT would go into open loop mode on all rpm range. It
>appears the OP pass the low speed test that indicates the ECT is
>good. At higher cruising speeds the ECU will rely mostly on the
>O2 sensors' response. If the close loop responses are bad it will
>show up on the 25-mph readings.

However, an intermittent ECT circuit can go in and out of closed loop
at all speed ranges. I've personally seen it.. I respectfully
disagree with your analysis. The car must be at operating temperature
before the test begins. Based on the 15 MPH readings, the fuel
control system is operating correctly. But at 25 MPH, it is not.
This suggests to me that at the beginning of the test, the ECT was
functioning correctly.

If the closed loop data were bad, you would see it at both 15 and 25
MPH tests. That was not the case here.

__________________
Note: To reply, replace the word 'spam' embedded in return address with 'mail'.
N37.3 W122.0
Old November 8th 04, 09:14 AM
burt squareman

"Barry S." > wrote in message
"burt squareman" > wrote:>

> >> So somewhere along the test, I think the car
> >> broke into open loop mode. (non-fuel-control) This is
> >> something you may want to send to a mechanic.

> >A faulty ECT would go into open loop mode on all rpm range. It
> >appears the OP pass the low speed test that indicates the ECT is
> >good.

> However, an intermittent ECT circuit can go in and out of closed loop
> at all speed ranges. I've personally seen it.. I respectfully
> disagree with your analysis. The car must be at operating temperature
> before the test begins. Based on the 15 MPH readings, the fuel
> control system is operating correctly. But at 25 MPH, it is not.
> This suggests to me that at the beginning of the test, the ECT was
> functioning correctly.

I was taught a while back that if the ECT voltage goes cold on a
Honda operating in closed loop the fuel will be unaffected, but the
idle will increase.