decent wide whitewall sought for 1992 Cadillac Brougham d'Elegance

Old March 17th 09, 10:35 PM posted to alt.autos.cadillac,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc
The Derfer[_2_]

Default decent wide whitewall sought for 1992 Cadillac Brougham d'Elegance

First of all: NOT COKER. Their tire for P225/75R15 is only rated 540-
BB, and a "B" traction
rating means I'll slip and slide this classic American car, a 1992
Cadillac Brougham d'Elegance,
all over the place, especially when I move to the extraordinarily wet
Southern Florida circa
the end of this year.

Trouble is, the Firestone FR721 has been out of production for a long
while. That was the
last 'decent' rated wide (1" or more) whitewall tire I used to be able
to find.

AND: look at tirerack.com and only the Kumho Solus KR21 pops up as a
P225/75R15
tire for sale. This 'old man' tire size is becoming tougher to pick
up.

So does anyone know of or recommend a brand and place where I can pick
up at a
reasonable price this size tire for this particular car? Coker is
too expensive and like I
said, some of the slightly less outrageously-priced tires have abysmal
treadwear, traction
and temperature ratings; really they're more like "show tires" and I
intend to use this car
full-time before too long.

Thanks.
Old March 17th 09, 11:25 PM posted to alt.autos.cadillac,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc
Ricky Bobby

"The Derfer" > wrote in message
> First of all: NOT COKER. Their tire for P225/75R15 is only rated 540-
> BB, and a "B" traction
> rating means I'll slip and slide this classic American car, a 1992
> Cadillac Brougham d'Elegance,
> all over the place, especially when I move to the extraordinarily wet
> Southern Florida circa
> the end of this year.
>
> Trouble is, the Firestone FR721 has been out of production for a long
> while. That was the
> last 'decent' rated wide (1" or more) whitewall tire I used to be able
> to find.
>
> AND: look at tirerack.com and only the Kumho Solus KR21 pops up as a
> P225/75R15
> tire for sale. This 'old man' tire size is becoming tougher to pick
> up.
>
> So does anyone know of or recommend a brand and place where I can pick
> up at a
> reasonable price this size tire for this particular car? Coker is
> too expensive and like I
> said, some of the slightly less outrageously-priced tires have abysmal
> treadwear, traction
> and temperature ratings; really they're more like "show tires" and I
> intend to use this car
> full-time before too long.
>
> Thanks.

Tire traction will be the least of your worries in south Florida. That baby
will rust away long before she skids...

Old March 17th 09, 11:42 PM posted to alt.autos.cadillac,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc
The Derfer[_2_]

> Tire traction will be the least of your worries in south Florida. That baby
> will rust away long before she skids...

That's BS.
Cars do way better there than in the Northeast where they dump
butt-loads of salt on the roads. Cars in S. FL looks great 50 years
old.

Old March 17th 09, 11:45 PM posted to alt.autos.cadillac,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc
Ricky Bobby

"The Derfer" > wrote in message

>> Tire traction will be the least of your worries in south Florida. That
>> baby
>> will rust away long before she skids...

> That's BS.
> Cars do way better there than in the Northeast where they dump
> butt-loads of salt on the roads. Cars in S. FL looks great 50 years
> old.

Not if you live near the coast, especially the Atlantic beaches.

Old March 17th 09, 11:50 PM posted to alt.autos.cadillac,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc
The Derfer[_2_]

> Not if you live near the coast, especially the Atlantic beaches.

Wrong again. Ever been there? Cars look spectacular there.
Used to live within a mile of the beach in Boca.

Old March 18th 09, 12:06 AM posted to alt.autos.cadillac,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc
Ricky Bobby

"The Derfer" > wrote in message

>> Not if you live near the coast, especially the Atlantic beaches.

> Wrong again. Ever been there? Cars look spectacular there.
> Used to live within a mile of the beach in Boca.

Maybe cars are built better these days. I had relatives living near
Homestead in the 60's. The warm, most salt air was so pernicious that even
the glass and aluminum on cars would rust ;-)

Most every vehicle in the condo parking lot was a total rust bucket...

Old March 18th 09, 12:26 AM posted to alt.autos.cadillac,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc
N8N

On Mar 17, 6:35*pm, The Derfer > wrote:
> First of all: NOT COKER. *Their tire for P225/75R15 is only rated 540-
> BB, and a "B" traction
> rating means I'll slip and slide this classic American car, a 1992
> Cadillac Brougham d'Elegance,
> all over the place, especially when I move to the extraordinarily wet
> Southern Florida circa
> the end of this year.
>
> Trouble is, the Firestone FR721 has been out of production for a long
> while. *That was the
> last 'decent' rated wide (1" or more) whitewall tire I used to be able
> to find.
>
> AND: look at tirerack.com and only the Kumho Solus KR21 pops up as a
> P225/75R15
> tire for sale. *This 'old man' tire size is becoming tougher to pick
> up.
>
> So does anyone know of or recommend a brand and place where I can pick
> up at a
> reasonable price this size tire for this particular car? * Coker is
> too expensive and like I
> said, some of the slightly less outrageously-priced tires have abysmal
> treadwear, traction
> and temperature ratings; really they're more like "show tires" and I
> intend to use this car
> full-time before too long.
>
> Thanks.

you could try diamondback; I believe that they will make any tire into
a whitewall. Of course then you are relying on *them* for your
warranty not the original mfgr. of your tire - but you could,
theoretically, have say a BFG T/A wide white, which is sort of what
I'm envisioning that you're looking for.

http://www.dbtires.com/

I'm not aware of any major manufacturer of tires still making wide
whites, even the wider-than-thin-white-stripe type as opposed to what
most people think of as "wide whites" which are all the way to the
rim.

A lot of caddys seem to be rocking Vogues now, although I think the
white-and-gold stripes just look kind of weird.

BTW, what happened to Avon? I was just doing a quick web search of
all the tire mfgrs. that I could think of off the top of my head to
make sure I wasn't forgetting something, and they seem to only be
doing motorcycle tires now?

Oh, and just for the record, I can't envision me putting wide whites
on... well... anything. But your car, your money...

nate
Old March 18th 09, 01:00 AM posted to alt.autos.cadillac,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc
Scott Dorsey

When I was a kid, my father was too cheap to buy whitewalls. He'd buy
cheap tires, then purchase a paint of some kind from the auto parts store
that allowed him to paint whitewalls on the existing tires.

If you're up for doing it and they still make the stuff, this might be
a reasonable way to get a wide whitewall.
--scott

Old March 18th 09, 01:03 AM posted to alt.autos.cadillac,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc
The Derfer[_2_]

> BTW, what happened to Avon?

There are still some Avon tires for car listed at
tirerack.com