brake question

Old May 22nd 06, 02:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default brake question

The metal brake line that goes to the right (passenger side) rear tire
was recently replaced by a shop on my '95 YJ. It looks/feels like
pliers were used to bend the tubing. The problem is that the brakes
now feel very soft. I tried bleeding the rear brakes but air keeps
coming out of the right rear no matter how much it is bled. The left
rear seems fine and there are no visible fuid leaks anywhere in the
brake system. Is it possible for air to get into brake lines even if no
fluid is leaking?

Thank you in advance,
nrs

Old May 22nd 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Bleed it again, and don't forget your front axle.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 22nd 06, 03:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

No, but it is possible air got in the combination valve or in the master
cylinder.

Some combination valves have a moving pin in the end of them that must
be held from moving in order to bleed them out.

If air got in the MC, then it might need to be removed to bench bleed
it.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 22nd 06, 03:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

If pliers were used to bend the tubing, so that it is crimped, this is a
sign of unprofessional work, and the tubing is likely weakened in the
vicinity of the crimps. There are tools that should have been used to
produce smooth, professional-looking bends. This does not mean that the
method of bending led to your current problems, however.

It is not possible for fluid to get into the brake lines, even if no fluid
is leaking. There could be a leak, that you are not seeing. Were the
brakes "always" very soft, since you had the tubing replaced? Or did this
happen afterwards?

The method of bleeding is very important. A pressure bleeder is best.
Follow that with a rubber tube, that goes from the bleeder fitting, to a
container of brake fluid. These are sold with a one-way valve, that
prevents air from getting back in. Next, an assistant holds the pedal down,
while you wait for all the air to come out, then tighten the fitting. It is
pretty hard to get satisfactory results, without mechanical or human
assistance.

Earle

ups.com...

Old May 22nd 06, 03:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

The brakes used to be fine before the tubing was replaced. Also, the
bleeding method I'm using is with a rubber tube and a container of
fluid. An assistant was helping with the pedal. The way is was
behaving is that fluid with no air comes out and then suddenly it
"spits" a two inch section of air in the clear rubber tube, then a few
small bubbles. With the next pedal press, the same thing happens again
and so on. I'm pretty sure the problem is between the rubber
hose/metal tube junction and the right rear wheel because no air comes
out of the left rear.

Thanks,
nrs

Old May 22nd 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Are you closing the bleed nipple between pedal pumps?

Sometimes the air can get sucked back in past the bleeder threads if it
is left open between pumps.

Sometimes letting it gravity bleed works too.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 22nd 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

That sounds like the problem. I'll do it again more carefully.

Thanks to everyone who replied,
nrs