"Glowing" ex manifold on a 2.5L S-10

Old July 4th 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Dave Baker

Default "Glowing" ex manifold on a 2.5L S-10

"~^Johnny^~" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 16:57:07 +0100, "Dave Baker"
> > wrote:
>
>>Advanced valve timing, not late valve timing, can cause fuel to burn in
>>the
>>manifold,

> Bull****.
>
> It would ping, and maybe pop back through the carburetor.

Valve timing not ignition timing you pillock. Learn to read.
--
Dave Baker
www.pumaracing.co.uk

Old July 5th 06, 01:53 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
~^Johnny^~

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 21:14:55 -0500, Don
> wrote:

>A very low idle is best for checking the timing. Put a timing light
>on it before you do anything else

For initial ignition timing,
it must be done at "curb idle".

That is, running, parked.
At the proper RPM.
No slower, no faster.
It must be at factory specs.
Idle speed should be as such.
If you rev it up to 2000 RPM,
it's still "idling",
but that doesn't count.

Adjust it to factory spec curb idle speed,
then check initial ignition timing.

Then, rev it up and check centrifugal advance.

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
Old July 5th 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
~^Johnny^~

On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 23:09:46 +0100, "Dave Baker"
> wrote:

>"~^Johnny^~" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 16:57:07 +0100, "Dave Baker"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Advanced valve timing, not late valve timing, can cause fuel to burn in
>>>the
>>>manifold,

>> Bull****.
>>
>> It would ping, and maybe pop back through the carburetor.

>Valve timing not ignition timing you pillock. Learn to read.

I'll give you a pass, this time.

A jumped tming belt/chain is a different issue altogether.

And I am not Polish. :-)

Old July 5th 06, 02:24 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
~^Johnny^~

On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 23:09:46 +0100, "Dave Baker"
> wrote:

>Dave Baker
>www.pumaracing.co.uk

Cute ... asshole.

Leave a valid email address next time.

=plonk!=

Old July 5th 06, 04:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don[_1_]

On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 17:53:55 -0700, ~^Johnny^~
> wrote:

>On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 21:14:55 -0500, Don
> wrote:
>
>>A very low idle is best for checking the timing. Put a timing light
>>on it before you do anything else

>For initial ignition timing,
>it must be done at "curb idle".
>
>That is, running, parked.
>At the proper RPM.
>No slower,

If its slower than specified curb idle this will be only a small
difference -- if any. Close enough to verify the problem and get the
thing in the ballpark. Reved up is much worse -- could be off 20* or
more.

Don
www.donsautomotive.com

Old July 5th 06, 01:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim

Dave Baker wrote:

> "jim" > wrote in message
> >

> > wrote:
> >>
> >> I dropped the exhaust pipe from the manifold and it didn't change
> >> anything. Regarding the lean vs. rich issue; you can definitely smell
> >> the slobbering. I suspect it's detonation/burn in the manifold. I'll
> >> look into the TPS too!

> > It isn't the fuel mixture. If the fuel can't burn in the cylinders it is
> > going to burn in the exhaust manifold unless there is something causing
> > it to burn there like late ignition timing or late valve timing or both.

> Advanced valve timing, not late valve timing, can cause fuel to burn in the
> manifold, i.e. the exhaust valve opens early while the mixture is still well
> alight in the cylinder. Late valve timing would have the opposite effect.

Maybe, but advanced valve timing doesn't seem likely to happen due to
normal wear. Typically the symptoms described fit badly worn timing
chain/gears. That may well be due to the ignition timing more than the
valve timing. But any inefficient combustion that leaves fuel and air in
the correct mix in the exhaust manifold could cause the symptoms
described. Especially if the driver's response to loss of power is to
use more throttle. So driving 80 mph with a couple of bad spark plug
wires could produce the results the original poster described.

-jim

Old July 5th 06, 02:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
aarcuda69062

In article >,
~^Johnny^~ > wrote:

> Then, rev it up and check centrifugal advance.

Don't think so.

QUESTION: 1996 Ford 4.6L Intake Manifold EADGBE Technology 2 June 29th 06 12:18 AM
Lower Intake Manifold Success Story Jimmy the Hand Ford Explorer 0 June 21st 06 10:18 PM
Mopar Oil Filter Number(s) do not spam Chrysler 3 January 7th 06 01:18 PM
Low Manifold Vacuum Rich Hampel Jeep 12 January 19th 05 03:16 AM
91 Accord LX 2.2L exhaust manifold cracked Arthur Russell Honda 1 December 19th 04 04:08 AM