Coil pack testing question

Old July 19th 08, 10:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
mr158912

Default Coil pack testing question

switch cylinders with the wires and see what happens to your plugs

Old July 20th 08, 02:23 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

Unfortunately I have to rely on a meter, the wires are not long enough
to swap.

Mike

Old July 25th 08, 03:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

Default Coil pack testing question: Solution

Thanks for the ideas folks, it was a strange one.

My adult son and I went up with some diagnostic tools this time like my
timing light and digital logic probe for testing the output and input of
that coil.

I plugged it back together and started it and well... The freaking
'bottom' cylinder is now working and the top isn't... My kid is now
chuckling, figuring out fast it's back to the drawing board... So...
after carefully looking at bolt marks and a wire clip under a bolt mark
we determined that I didn't put it back together wrong so I took it all
apart and used a contact cleaner on the copper strands in the coil wire
and the screw end for the spark plug cap and put it all back together
and it purred...

Figures, your basic of basics, a bad spark plug wire connection.... that
according to the local marina just 'Never' happens. Ya right only a
coil or brain box fails, right. LOL!

This engine only has about 40 running hours on it, but sits out all season.

Mike