"Steer Ahead"

Old January 16th 08, 05:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_4_]

Default "Steer Ahead"

ChrisCoaster wrote:
> On Jan 16, 11:23 am, Mike Romain > wrote:
>> When a non adjustable part like a ball joint goes 'out of spec', it is
>> normally worn out or on it's way to worn out. When a ball joint goes
>> bad, the steering can pull just like you feel. My car is going into the
>> shop for that exact thing today.
>>
>> Mike
>> 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00
>> 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build
>> Photos:http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com
>>

> sweep, sweep sweep...
>
>>> -ChrisCoaster- Hide quoted text -

> Plobrem is Mike, the car has just under 25,000mi. I couldn't imagine
> it being anything worn. Some roads around here resemble Swiss cheese,
> but I'm not consistently on them.
>
> -Chris

I have seen a bunch of under 25K ball joints worn out. The S-Blazers eat
them in that mileage with regularity. I would check them. I would also
go to a second shop and have them check it over. Nothing says you didn't
get the Friday car that they forgot to grease parts on prior to assembly.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Life is not like a box of chocolates
it's more like a jar of jalapenos-
what you do today could burn your ass tomorrow!
Old January 16th 08, 08:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

wrote:

>>>The Hunter web site mentions it, but does not define it.

>>It's the relationship between the steering wheel and the wheels, ie. 0
>>deg's is when the steering wheel is centered the wheels point straight
>>ahead.
>>

>>>Dave

>>Ulf

> ________________
> Thanks Ulf!
>
> Actually, to keep my car pointing straight ahead, I need to "force"
> the steering wheel to the right about the 1 o'clock position. This is
> after two 4-wh alignments from what I consider the best wheel
> alignment facility in Fairfield County.
>
> If I let go, or just hold the steeringwheel loosely, so that it
> returns(settles as a function of SAI) to high noon, the car will soon
> cross the double yellow or drift into the interstate lane to my left.
> I find this very dangerous although no one else(the shop, my wife,
> etc.) who drove the car seemed to notice it.
>
> BTW 2005 Malibu Epsilon-based, 3.5L V6. All alignment specs are well
> within-close to the middle - of the ranges specified by GM, although
> one spec(apparently not adjustable) caster - is 4/10th deg less
> positive on the left than on the right. L Caster = 2.9deg, R Caster =
> 3.2deg. The thrust angle is positive +0.01deg(virtually straight),
> and I think the steer ahead is positive +0.05(whatever that means
> since this is the first time I've ever heard of it.)
>
> The shop is reluctant to check for bent parts or to mess with the toe
> because no one in the shop who drive the car feels this pull to the
> left.
>
> What else??

Continued "pulling" to one side or the other is usually a sign of a bad
tire on a vehicle with a non-zero scrub radius. Depending on whether the
scrub radius is positive or negative, the tire with the high rolling
resistance can be on the side pulled toward, or the side pulled away
from. Most cars have a positive scrub radius so they'll pull toward the
tire with the high rolling resistance, but the usual test is to swap the
front tires side-to-side and see if the pull disappears or switches
sides, then replace the tires as a pair if it does.

Old January 16th 08, 09:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ChrisCoaster

On Jan 16, 3:34*pm, Steve > wrote:
> ChrisCoaster wrote:

> >>It's the relationship between the steering wheel and the wheels, ie. 0
> >>deg's is when the steering wheel is centered the wheels point straight
> >>ahead.

> >>Ulf

> > ________________
> > Thanks Ulf!

> > Actually, to keep my car pointing straight ahead, I need to "force"
> > the steering wheel to the right about the 1 o'clock position. *This is
> > after two 4-wh alignments from what I consider the best wheel
> > alignment facility in Fairfield County.

> > If I let go, or just hold the steeringwheel loosely, so that it
> > returns(settles as a function of SAI) to high noon, the car will soon
> > cross the double yellow or drift into the interstate lane to my left.
> > I find this very dangerous although no one else(the shop, my wife,
> > etc.) who drove the car seemed to notice it.

> > BTW 2005 Malibu Epsilon-based, 3.5L V6. *All alignment specs are well
> > within-close to the middle - of the ranges specified by GM, although
> > one spec(apparently not adjustable) caster - is 4/10th deg less
> > positive on the left than on the right. *L Caster = 2.9deg, R Caster =
> > 3.2deg. *The thrust angle is positive +0.01deg(virtually straight),
> > and I think the steer ahead is positive +0.05(whatever that means
> > since this is the first time I've ever heard of it.)

> > The shop is reluctant to check for bent parts or to mess with the toe
> > because no one in the shop who drive the car feels this pull to the
> > left.

> > What else??

> Continued "pulling" to one side or the other is usually a sign of a bad
> tire on a vehicle with a non-zero scrub radius. Depending on whether the
> scrub radius is positive or negative, the tire with the high rolling
> resistance can be on the side pulled toward, or the side pulled away
> from. Most cars have a positive scrub radius so they'll pull toward the
> tire with the high rolling resistance, but the usual test is to swap the
> front tires side-to-side and see if the pull disappears or switches
> sides, then replace the tires as a pair if it does.- Hide quoted text -

_______________________
I did a front to rear tire rotation as a side swap cannot be performed
with the directional Yokohama AVIDS on the car.

I hate to keep giving you guys excuses as to why I "can't" do this or
can't do that. I did, however, decide to overinflate the left tires
by 1lb psi. My cold pressures currently are 32 in the lefts, 31 on
the rights. The door placard says 30lbs all around. The car still
drifts left.

I guess it's time to get the opinion of a "second doctor" in town.

-CC
Old January 17th 08, 01:45 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger

ChrisCoaster > wrote in
:

> I did a front to rear tire rotation as a side swap cannot be performed
> with the directional Yokohama AVIDS on the car.

Sure it can.

You just sholdn't leave it like that permanently. There's absolutely
nothing wrong with temporarily running directionals the wrong way on a dry
surface.

By failing to swap side-to-side you may be ignoring the most obvious
culprit. Remember the "monkey license" scene from one of the Pink Panther
movies?

--
Tegger

Old January 17th 08, 03:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

Tegger wrote:
> ChrisCoaster > wrote in
> :
>

>> I did a front to rear tire rotation as a side swap cannot be performed
>> with the directional Yokohama AVIDS on the car.

> Sure it can.
>
> You just sholdn't leave it like that permanently. There's absolutely
> nothing wrong with temporarily running directionals the wrong way on a dry
> surface.
>
> By failing to swap side-to-side you may be ignoring the most obvious
> culprit. Remember the "monkey license" scene from one of the Pink Panther
> movies?

If a tires causes a pull to the left in the front and gets moved to the
back the pull should be to the right or gone shouldn't it?

Mike

Old January 17th 08, 03:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

On Jan 16, 4:37 pm, ChrisCoaster > wrote:
> On Jan 16, 3:34 pm, Steve > wrote:
>
> > ChrisCoaster wrote:

> > > ________________
> > > Thanks Ulf!

> > > Actually, to keep my car pointing straight ahead, I need to "force"
> > > the steering wheel to the right about the 1 o'clock position. This is
> > > after two 4-wh alignments from what I consider the best wheel
> > > alignment facility in Fairfield County.

> > > If I let go, or just hold the steeringwheel loosely, so that it
> > > returns(settles as a function of SAI) to high noon, the car will soon
> > > cross the double yellow or drift into the interstate lane to my left.
> > > I find this very dangerous although no one else(the shop, my wife,
> > > etc.) who drove the car seemed to notice it.

> > > BTW 2005 Malibu Epsilon-based, 3.5L V6. All alignment specs are well
> > > within-close to the middle - of the ranges specified by GM, although
> > > one spec(apparently not adjustable) caster - is 4/10th deg less
> > > positive on the left than on the right. L Caster = 2.9deg, R Caster =
> > > 3.2deg. The thrust angle is positive +0.01deg(virtually straight),
> > > and I think the steer ahead is positive +0.05(whatever that means
> > > since this is the first time I've ever heard of it.)

> > > The shop is reluctant to check for bent parts or to mess with the toe
> > > because no one in the shop who drive the car feels this pull to the
> > > left.

> > > What else??

> > Continued "pulling" to one side or the other is usually a sign of a bad
> > tire on a vehicle with a non-zero scrub radius. Depending on whether the
> > scrub radius is positive or negative, the tire with the high rolling
> > resistance can be on the side pulled toward, or the side pulled away
> > from. Most cars have a positive scrub radius so they'll pull toward the
> > tire with the high rolling resistance, but the usual test is to swap the
> > front tires side-to-side and see if the pull disappears or switches
> > sides, then replace the tires as a pair if it does.- Hide quoted text -

> _______________________
> I did a front to rear tire rotation as a side swap cannot be performed
> with the directional Yokohama AVIDS on the car.
>
> I hate to keep giving you guys excuses as to why I "can't" do this or
> can't do that. I did, however, decide to overinflate the left tires
> by 1lb psi. My cold pressures currently are 32 in the lefts, 31 on
> the rights. The door placard says 30lbs all around. The car still
> drifts left.
>
> I guess it's time to get the opinion of a "second doctor" in town.
>
> -CC

It can make a diff on some vehicles, so I'll ask- how much do you
weigh?

More, or less than the guys who don't feel it pull?

If you ride with someone on the right, does it still pull?

I've had to tailor an alignment once or twice in my life (dawn of
computerized alignments)

Dave
Old January 17th 08, 04:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ChrisCoaster

On Jan 17, 10:52*am, wrote:
> On Jan 16, 4:37 pm, ChrisCoaster > wrote:

> > > Continued "pulling" to one side or the other is usually a sign of a bad
> > > tire on a vehicle with a non-zero scrub radius. Depending on whether the
> > > scrub radius is positive or negative, the tire with the high rolling
> > > resistance can be on the side pulled toward, or the side pulled away
> > > from. Most cars have a positive scrub radius so they'll pull toward the
> > > tire with the high rolling resistance, but the usual test is to swap the
> > > front tires side-to-side and see if the pull disappears or switches
> > > sides, then replace the tires as a pair if it does.- Hide quoted text -

> > _______________________
> > I did a front to rear tire rotation as a side swap cannot be performed
> > with the directional Yokohama AVIDS on the car.

> > I hate to keep giving you guys excuses as to why I "can't" do this or
> > can't do that. *I did, however, decide to overinflate the left tires
> > by 1lb psi. *My cold pressures currently are 32 in the lefts, 31 on
> > the rights. *The door placard says 30lbs all around. *The car still
> > drifts left.

> > I guess it's time to get the opinion of a "second doctor" in town.

> > -CC

> It can make a diff on some vehicles, so I'll ask- how much do you
> weigh?
>
> More, or less than the guys who don't feel it pull?
>
> If you ride with someone on the right, does it still pull?
>
> I've had to tailor an alignment once or twice in my life (dawn of
> computerized alignments)
>
> Dave- Hide quoted text -

___________________
I had a tech at a Town Fair tire/alignment place suggest that my own
weight was pulling the car to the left. Now that was in a 2003 Impala
at that time, and I weighed in at an unimaginable 175lbs.

Therefore, two conditions had BETTER exist before I even THINK of
buying this "driver's weight" jive: FIRST - The driver had better
weigh minimum 250lbs, and SECOND, the car had better be a YARIS, a
YUGO, or a SMART 4 TWO!!

Let's keep flying pigs and the boogeyman out of this thread, please!

-CC
Old January 17th 08, 05:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

On Jan 17, 11:19 am, ChrisCoaster > wrote:
> On Jan 17, 10:52 am, wrote:

> > > _______________________
> > > I did a front to rear tire rotation as a side swap cannot be performed
> > > with the directional Yokohama AVIDS on the car.

> > > I hate to keep giving you guys excuses as to why I "can't" do this or
> > > can't do that. I did, however, decide to overinflate the left tires
> > > by 1lb psi. My cold pressures currently are 32 in the lefts, 31 on
> > > the rights. The door placard says 30lbs all around. The car still
> > > drifts left.

> > > I guess it's time to get the opinion of a "second doctor" in town.

> > > -CC

> > It can make a diff on some vehicles, so I'll ask- how much do you
> > weigh?

> > More, or less than the guys who don't feel it pull?

> > If you ride with someone on the right, does it still pull?

> > I've had to tailor an alignment once or twice in my life (dawn of
> > computerized alignments)

> > Dave- Hide quoted text -

> ___________________
> I had a tech at a Town Fair tire/alignment place suggest that my own
> weight was pulling the car to the left. Now that was in a 2003 Impala
> at that time, and I weighed in at an unimaginable 175lbs.
>
> Therefore, two conditions had BETTER exist before I even THINK of
> buying this "driver's weight" jive: FIRST - The driver had better
> weigh minimum 250lbs, and SECOND, the car had better be a YARIS, a
> YUGO, or a SMART 4 TWO!!
>
> Let's keep flying pigs and the boogeyman out of this thread, please!
>
> -CC

Well, I didn't want to out and ask if you weigh 250lbs, I was trying
to be polite!

If the normal loading of the car results in a significantly different
ride-height or attitude (L/Rt or F/Rr) than when the car is aligned,
on some cars that'll make a fair bit of difference, and on some cars
not, so no jive, flying pigs, or boogeymen here, just good science and
having been there, done that.

A 175lbs driver in an impala, yes, the ride-height difference effect
on the alignment will be negligible.

Dave
Old January 17th 08, 07:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ChrisCoaster

On Jan 17, 12:46*pm, wrote:
> On Jan 17, 11:19 am, ChrisCoaster > wrote:

> > > It can make a diff on some vehicles, so I'll ask- how much do you
> > > weigh?

> > > More, or less than the guys who don't feel it pull?

> > > If you ride with someone on the right, does it still pull?

> > > I've had to tailor an alignment once or twice in my life (dawn of
> > > computerized alignments)

> > > Dave- Hide quoted text -

> > ___________________
> > I had a tech at a Town Fair tire/alignment place suggest that my own
> > weight was pulling the car to the left. *Now that was in a 2003 Impala
> > at that time, and I weighed in at an unimaginable 175lbs.

> > Therefore, two conditions had BETTER exist before I even THINK of
> > buying this "driver's weight" jive: FIRST - The driver had better
> > weigh minimum 250lbs, and SECOND, the car had better be a YARIS, a
> > YUGO, or a SMART 4 TWO!!

> > Let's keep flying pigs and the boogeyman out of this thread, please!

> > -CC

> Well, I didn't want to out and ask if you weigh 250lbs, I was trying
> to be polite!
>
> If the normal loading of the car results in a significantly different
> ride-height or attitude (L/Rt or F/Rr) than when the car is aligned,
> on some cars that'll make a fair bit of difference, and on some cars
> not, so no jive, flying pigs, or boogeymen here, just good science and
> having been there, done that.
>
> A 175lbs driver in an impala, yes, the ride-height difference effect
> on the alignment *will be negligible.
>
> Dave- Hide quoted text -

___________________
No offense taken. From my perception, the weight of a driver
compared to his mount is akin to the proverbial fly on a cow's butt,
that's all. So I just figured that except in extreme cases, the
driver's weight(or position - for those of you who drive on the LH
side of the road) didn't matter at all.

Thanks,

-CC

Old January 18th 08, 03:04 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger

Mike Romain > wrote in
g.com:

> Tegger wrote:

>> You just sholdn't leave it like that permanently. There's absolutely
>> nothing wrong with temporarily running directionals the wrong way on
>> a dry surface.
>>
>> By failing to swap side-to-side you may be ignoring the most obvious
>> culprit. Remember the "monkey license" scene from one of the Pink
>> Panther movies?
>>

> If a tires causes a pull to the left in the front and gets moved to
> the back the pull should be to the right or gone shouldn't it?

In my experience, a pull from a tire when it's on the front will go away
entirely or be greatly lessened when the same tire is moved to the rear on
the same side; I have not seen the pull change sides. If the tire is moved
to the other side of the front, the pull will be in the reverse direction.

Of course, it is critical to consider road crowning, which I find is a
confounding factor in these cases. It helps considerably during
investigation to have ready access to the other side of the road (easier in
rural areas) or a divided highway which has a crown that goes in both
directions.

--
Tegger