"No Safety Problem" -- Toyota accused of 'not being frank'

Old February 1st 10, 02:52 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Default "No Safety Problem" -- Toyota accused of 'not being frank'

Can't down play the people who died, runaway Toyotas.If those people had
been driving something other runaway Toyotas, would they have died
anyway?
I think Not.
cuhulin

Old February 1st 10, 05:37 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota.prius,alt.autos.lexus,rec.autos.tech
Vic Smith

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 17:54:36 -0500, Hachiroku ???? >
wrote:

>On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 17:05:53 -0800, john wrote:
>
>> WASHINGTON -- When owners of Lexus sedans began <SLAP!>

>Get the point yet, Troll?
>
>Toyota has had ONE recall, involving 2.3M vehicles.
>
>Count up all the cars over all the years of GM recalls.
>If you look long enough, you can find well over 2.3M vehicles recalled by
>GM, spanning lots of models.
>
>Stop trolling, asshole.

You post countless old GM recalls and call him a troll?
Get thee to a mirror.
The average Joe Consumer doesn't care about you GM or Toyota fanatics
primping your feathers here.
I noticed that Fox news is really hammering Toyota, and saw one of
their dimwit hosts recommending "buy American," and getting agreement.
Made Toyota out as a corporate devil. Lots of lawsuits coming for
Toyota. They were almost drooling. Fox is full of lawyers.
Also heard something about Consumer Reports issuing a "Not
Recommended." Don't know, since I don't care about Toyotas corporate
reputation any more than GM's.
I recall Sean Hannity more than once bragging on his big hybrid GM
SUV.
Toyota has bigger problems than John.
You should think about boycotting Fox News and Consumer Reports.
That's the trouble with being a "fan."
It hurts when your team takes a loss, and your idols are found to have
feet of clay.
Go Cubbies!
Just kidding. I quit that kind of fandom too, long, long ago.
When Pete Rose retired.

--Vic
Old February 1st 10, 02:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hachiroku

On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 02:03:17 +0000, fred wrote:

> john > wrote in
> :
>
>> WASHINGTON -- When owners of Lexus sedans began reporting harrowing
>> crashes involving stuck accelerator pedals in early 2007, Toyota told
>> U.S. safety regulators there was no safety problem with its floor mats
>> -- but it would send owners an orange warning sticker just to be sure.
>>
>> The flaw has since been linked to at least 12 deaths, and last week,
>> Toyota expanded its recall over floor mats to 5.3 million vehicles. As
>> with a separate recall of 2.3 million cars and trucks for sticky pedals
>> that also could cause sudden acceleration, the automaker downplayed
>> early warnings of both problems.
>>
>> Full article:
>> http://www.freep.com/article/2010013...1331/business0
>> 1/Toyota-accused-of-not-being-frank-on-problem
>>

> As I recall at least half of those deaths were the result of completely
> clueless drivers that would have been sure to kill themselves in some
> other stupid way, even without using a motor vehicle.

Think we can get john to buy a US made Camry? He's so clueless he won't
last 5 minutes...

Old February 1st 10, 03:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Pete C.

Hachiroku wrote:

> On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 02:03:17 +0000, fred wrote:
>
> > john > wrote in
> > :
> >
> >> WASHINGTON -- When owners of Lexus sedans began reporting harrowing
> >> crashes involving stuck accelerator pedals in early 2007, Toyota told
> >> U.S. safety regulators there was no safety problem with its floor mats
> >> -- but it would send owners an orange warning sticker just to be sure.
> >>
> >> The flaw has since been linked to at least 12 deaths, and last week,
> >> Toyota expanded its recall over floor mats to 5.3 million vehicles. As
> >> with a separate recall of 2.3 million cars and trucks for sticky pedals
> >> that also could cause sudden acceleration, the automaker downplayed
> >> early warnings of both problems.
> >>
> >> Full article:
> >> http://www.freep.com/article/2010013...1331/business0
> >> 1/Toyota-accused-of-not-being-frank-on-problem
> >>

> > As I recall at least half of those deaths were the result of completely
> > clueless drivers that would have been sure to kill themselves in some
> > other stupid way, even without using a motor vehicle.

> Think we can get john to buy a US made Camry? He's so clueless he won't
> last 5 minutes...

Driver incompetence has been linked to those deaths, a sticking
accelerator may have provided the opportunity for those incompetent
drivers to kill themselves and others, but ultimately it was the driver
incompetence that caused the deaths.
A sticking accelerator pedal may increase stopping distance, but it does
not make stopping impossible and if the drivers were competent and
reacted appropriately, there might have been a crash, but it would have
been far from fatal.

For those bashing the "drive by wire" electronic accelerators, they have
been standard equipment on medium and heavy diesel trucks for many
years, and you haven't heard of any "unintended acceleration" issues on
those trucks have you? The reason is that the drivers of those CDL A and
B trucks are *competent*.
Old February 1st 10, 03:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Toyota To Ship West Virginia Made Engines to Japan.
http://www.southernautocorridor.com

Made in West By God Virginia.
cuhulin

Old February 1st 10, 07:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

> wrote in message
> Can't down play the people who died, runaway Toyotas.If those people had
> been driving something other runaway Toyotas, would they have died
> anyway?
> I think Not.
> cuhulin

A local lady almost killed herself, and certainly wiped out the front of her
house,
with a runaway Cadillac.

The same has happened for other makes as well.

And do you remember the rollover problems with Ford Expeditions, perhaps?

I used to have a Thunderbird that would accelerate wildly when you turned
the
steering wheel to the left.

I had a Buick Regal, 1989 model, that would die stone dead when exiting
freeways, leaving me with no power brakes nor steering. That could easily
kill a person (and this WAS a defect in factory parts).

Even small issues can become life threatening on any car.

Whether Toyota is directly responsible or indirectly responsible is yet to
be worked out.

This is turning into a witch hunt.

Old February 1st 10, 07:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 09:04:07 -0600, Pete C. wrote:

> Hachiroku wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 02:03:17 +0000, fred wrote:
>>
>> > john > wrote in
>> > :

>> > As I recall at least half of those deaths were the result of
>> > completely clueless drivers that would have been sure to kill
>> > themselves in some other stupid way, even without using a motor
>> > vehicle.

>> Think we can get john to buy a US made Camry? He's so clueless he won't
>> last 5 minutes...

> Driver incompetence has been linked to those deaths, a sticking
> accelerator may have provided the opportunity for those incompetent
> drivers to kill themselves and others, but ultimately it was the driver
> incompetence that caused the deaths.
> A sticking accelerator pedal may increase stopping distance, but it does
> not make stopping impossible and if the drivers were competent and reacted
> appropriately, there might have been a crash, but it would have been far
> from fatal.
>
> For those bashing the "drive by wire" electronic accelerators, they have
> been standard equipment on medium and heavy diesel trucks for many years,
> and you haven't heard of any "unintended acceleration" issues on those
> trucks have you? The reason is that the drivers of those CDL A and B
> trucks are *competent*.

My Scion tC has the drive by wire system. I don't like it. I have NEVER,
EVER stalled a car as much as this one!

So I got out the tools and the VOM and got under there (after reading in a
Scion group) and adjusted the pot so it was just under the end of travel.

For about a week the engine idle was a little higher, but then the
computer compensated for it and idle returned to normal, but the very
slight hesitation was gone and I'm hardly stalling at all any more. Once
in a great while, but I did that with wired throttles, too...

And usually at a stop light or intersection where the traffic is lined up
a mile back. When there's NO ONE in sight...not a problem!

Old February 1st 10, 07:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 18:36:24 -0800, ransley wrote:

>> As I recall at least half of those deaths were the result of completely
>> clueless drivers that would have been sure to kill themselves in some
>> other stupid way, even without using a motor vehicle.

> You sound like a frustrated, depressed, stupid ass Toyota dealer

More like someone who spends a lot of time on the road with stupid-ass
drivers.

I LOVE it when someone puts on their LEFT turn signal, and then pulls to
the RIGHT! WTF?!?!?!

Old February 1st 10, 08:56 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota.prius,alt.autos.lexus,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 19:53:23 -0500, C. E. White wrote:

> "Hachiroku ハチ*ク" > wrote in message
> news
>> On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 17:05:53 -0800, john wrote:
>>
>>> WASHINGTON -- When owners of Lexus sedans began <SLAP!>

>> Get the point yet, Troll?
>>
>> Toyota has had ONE recall, involving 2.3M vehicles.

> You are forgetting the recall for virtually every truck Toyta sold in the
> US for around 5 years becasue of defective ball joints. Or recalls for
> rusting frames. And recalls for numerous other defects. Toyota is hardly
> the model of excellence you like to pretend they are.

I only buy "J" VIN cars. All the examples you point to are "4" VIN
vehicles with parts sourced to US suppliers.

Old February 1st 10, 10:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 19:26:43 -0600, Pete C. wrote:

> "Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B" wrote:

>> > Driver incompetence has been linked to those deaths, a sticking
>> > accelerator may have provided the opportunity for those incompetent
>> > drivers to kill themselves and others, but ultimately it was the
>> > driver incompetence that caused the deaths.
>> > A sticking accelerator pedal may increase stopping distance, but it
>> > does not make stopping impossible and if the drivers were competent
>> > and reacted appropriately, there might have been a crash, but it would
>> > have been far from fatal.
>> >
>> > For those bashing the "drive by wire" electronic accelerators, they
>> > have been standard equipment on medium and heavy diesel trucks for
>> > many years, and you haven't heard of any "unintended acceleration"
>> > issues on those trucks have you? The reason is that the drivers of
>> > those CDL A and B trucks are *competent*.

>> My Scion tC has the drive by wire system. I don't like it. I have NEVER,
>> EVER stalled a car as much as this one!
>>
>> So I got out the tools and the VOM and got under there (after reading in
>> a Scion group) and adjusted the pot so it was just under the end of
>> travel.
>>
>> For about a week the engine idle was a little higher, but then the
>> computer compensated for it and idle returned to normal, but the very
>> slight hesitation was gone and I'm hardly stalling at all any more. Once
>> in a great while, but I did that with wired throttles, too...
>>
>> And usually at a stop light or intersection where the traffic is lined
>> up a mile back. When there's NO ONE in sight...not a problem!

> I didn't say throttle by wire was perfect, nothing ever is and fine tuning
> helps things both mechanical and electronic. My point was that it wasn't a
> fatal flaw, driver incompetence was.
>
> I once witnessed a stupid chain reaction accident. A car was sitting a few
> cars back at a red light when another car came in a little too fast and
> tapped it. This was clearly just a tiny tap as there was no visible damage
> to the tapping car or the rear bumper of the tapped car. However, due to
> an inattentive / incompetent driver in the tapped car, I watched for a
> full three seconds (yes, I counted) as that car rolled forward and hit the
> car in front of it causing visible damage to both.
>
> Toyota's bad throttle may have provided the tap, but driver incompetence
> provided the fatalities.

The girl singer in our band has an '04 Corolla, US (Or Canada) made. I
told her, if this happens, put the transmission in Neutral, turn the key
back 1 click and stop the car, both feet if necessary.

She understood it, I knew she would.

What the hell are these people doing when the car doesn't slow down?

I had this happen with a Corolla many years ago....I put the car in
neutral...turned the key back 1 click...and stopped the car.

I think I was 19...

The steel throttle cable had become rusty and stuck an open position.
Big Deal.