Deep cycle marine batteries

Old November 30th 05, 03:30 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Deep cycle marine batteries

There are two types of these. One is good for dual purpose cranking
and trolling use. The other is for trolling ONLY. Get the former and it
works great in a car.

Another alternative battery is an aircraft nicad-with modifications.
These are built with individual replaceable cells and almost all are
24V. It is permissible to replace a certain number of them in service,
after which the whole thing is junked. Get one or two junked ones,
service per recommended procedure the good cells, and put in just
enough of them for 12-14V. Works spectacularly well in really cold
weather. Spectacular also is the effect of a short circuit-they really
put out the current and will cause devastation. Suggest fusing.

Old November 30th 05, 04:11 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On 29 Nov 2005 19:30:32 -0800, "Bret Ludwig" >
wrote:

> There are two types of these. One is good for dual purpose cranking
>and trolling use. The other is for trolling ONLY. Get the former and it
>works great in a car.
>
> Another alternative battery is an aircraft nicad-with modifications.
>These are built with individual replaceable cells and almost all are
>24V. It is permissible to replace a certain number of them in service,
>after which the whole thing is junked. Get one or two junked ones,
>service per recommended procedure the good cells, and put in just
>enough of them for 12-14V. Works spectacularly well in really cold
>weather. Spectacular also is the effect of a short circuit-they really
>put out the current and will cause devastation. Suggest fusing.

Yes, and a lead-acid battery explosion under the hood looks like the
aftermath of a hand grenade attack. BLOWN TO BITS, and everything
around it. I saw a photo of one of these accidents a few days ago but
can't remember the URL. Only the bottom HALF of the lead-acid cell
was remaining. If you go to Google Images and enter "auto battery
explosion" you might find something ;-\

I know NiCads self-discharge at a high rate, which means if you leave
your car at an airport parking space and come back in a week, expect a
dead battery.

Everybody is looking for the right product. I do this because I live
in the frozen North country, and believe me, you want your car to
start because calling out someone else to do it will cost a week's
grocery bill. In a rural area, it can be Life & Death.

A jump kit usually contains a Gel Cell. This loses CCA as it gets
colder. Below zero, it could even freeze. So that isn't the answer
either.

I'm coming at this issue from a number of different angles. I keep a
float charger on my battery during cold nights ( tonight ). I am
switching to synthetic oil on Saturday. I think with synthetic oil I
can forget about having to install a block heater, as it has a lower
temperature pour point than liquefied dinosaur cadaver.

Lg

Old November 30th 05, 06:31 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default PING: Bret Ludwig ( Deep cycle marine batteries)

wrote:

> There are two types of these. One is good for dual purpose cranking
>and trolling use. The other is for trolling ONLY. Get the former and it
>works great in a car.
>
> Another alternative battery is an aircraft nicad-with modifications.
>These are built with individual replaceable cells and almost all are
>24V. It is permissible to replace a certain number of them in service,
>after which the whole thing is junked. Get one or two junked ones,
>service per recommended procedure the good cells, and put in just
>enough of them for 12-14V. Works spectacularly well in really cold
>weather. Spectacular also is the effect of a short circuit-they really
>put out the current and will cause devastation. Suggest fusing.

Yes, and a lead-acid battery explosion under the hood looks like the
aftermath of a hand grenade attack. BLOWN TO BITS, and everything
around it.

Here is 1 photo I found Posted by a fire department showing the
aftermath of a car battery explosion.

http://www.svfc6.com/04220401.JPG

Be Careful with these things.

Lg

Old November 30th 05, 06:34 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

wrote:

> There are two types of these. One is good for dual purpose cranking
>and trolling use. The other is for trolling ONLY. Get the former and it
>works great in a car.
>
> Another alternative battery is an aircraft nicad-with modifications.
>These are built with individual replaceable cells and almost all are
>24V. It is permissible to replace a certain number of them in service,
>after which the whole thing is junked. Get one or two junked ones,
>service per recommended procedure the good cells, and put in just
>enough of them for 12-14V. Works spectacularly well in really cold
>weather. Spectacular also is the effect of a short circuit-they really
>put out the current and will cause devastation. Suggest fusing.

Yes, and a lead-acid battery explosion under the hood looks like the
aftermath of a hand grenade attack. BLOWN TO BITS, and everything
around it.

Here is 1 photo I found Posted by a fire department showing the
aftermath of a car battery explosion.

http://www.svfc6.com/04220401.JPG

Be Careful with these things.

Mo

http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/explosion.jpg

Old November 30th 05, 06:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Lawrence Glickman wrote:

<snip>
> A jump kit usually contains a Gel Cell. This loses CCA as it gets
> colder. Below zero, it could even freeze. So that isn't the answer
> either.
>
> I'm coming at this issue from a number of different angles. I keep a
> float charger on my battery during cold nights ( tonight ). I am
> switching to synthetic oil on Saturday. I think with synthetic oil I
> can forget about having to install a block heater, as it has a lower
> temperature pour point than liquefied dinosaur cadaver.
>
> Lg

Just FYI, any battery will freeze if it is dead or really low on
charge. If they are fully charged up, they won't freeze in any 'normal'
winter weather.

The trickle charger also keeps the battery warm.

The block heater can be on a timer and it still is really good for the
engine to have a warm start vs a cold start. It goes out of 'choke'
mode faster and you have interior heat for defrost quickly.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Aug./05 http://www.imagestation.com/album/in...?id=2120343242
Old November 30th 05, 06:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Lawrence Glickman wrote:

> On 29 Nov 2005 19:30:32 -0800, "Bret Ludwig" >
> wrote:
>
> > There are two types of these. One is good for dual purpose cranking
> >and trolling use. The other is for trolling ONLY. Get the former and it
> >works great in a car.
> >
> > Another alternative battery is an aircraft nicad-with modifications.
> >These are built with individual replaceable cells and almost all are
> >24V. It is permissible to replace a certain number of them in service,
> >after which the whole thing is junked. Get one or two junked ones,
> >service per recommended procedure the good cells, and put in just
> >enough of them for 12-14V. Works spectacularly well in really cold
> >weather. Spectacular also is the effect of a short circuit-they really
> >put out the current and will cause devastation. Suggest fusing.

> Yes, and a lead-acid battery explosion under the hood looks like the
> aftermath of a hand grenade attack. BLOWN TO BITS, and everything
> around it.
> ================================================== =======
>
> Here is 1 photo I found Posted by a fire department showing the
> aftermath of a car battery explosion.
>
> http://www.svfc6.com/04220401.JPG
>
> Be Careful with these things.
>
> Mo
>
> http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/explosion.jpg

I had the misfortune to be on the top side of a battery that blew it's
top off. :-(

I had an old generator charged vehicle that had a power draw when off
and was using a deep cell battery I wired into the trunk to give me more
time when off. Came to a stop after a 200 mile drive and forgot to air
out the trunk before I disconnected the battery for the night. Whomp!
off came the top of the battery!

It sliced up my cheek and eyebrow, punched holes in the trunk lid and
covered my clothes and face in acid. I was really lucky, I had a snow
bank to dive face first into and running water 10 feet or so away. No
permanent damage, just a couple scars on my face.

Old November 30th 05, 07:16 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

My Dad tells a story about a guy that left the battery on charge
overnight. Opened the hood and lit a match to see if the cells were
still bubbling. Kaboom!!

Old December 1st 05, 04:17 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 13:03:45 -0500, Mike Romain >
wrote:

>Lawrence Glickman wrote:
>>

><snip>
>> A jump kit usually contains a Gel Cell. This loses CCA as it gets
>> colder. Below zero, it could even freeze. So that isn't the answer
>> either.
>>
>> I'm coming at this issue from a number of different angles. I keep a
>> float charger on my battery during cold nights ( tonight ). I am
>> switching to synthetic oil on Saturday. I think with synthetic oil I
>> can forget about having to install a block heater, as it has a lower
>> temperature pour point than liquefied dinosaur cadaver.
>>
>> Lg

>Just FYI, any battery will freeze if it is dead or really low on
>charge. If they are fully charged up, they won't freeze in any 'normal'
>winter weather.

I don't know what *normal* winter weather is in Chicagoland. We've
seen some warmer-type winter and some stuff that would make Alaska
look like a Summer Resort area.

>The trickle charger also keeps the battery warm.

This is good to know.

>The block heater can be on a timer and it still is really good for the
>engine to have a warm start vs a cold start. It goes out of 'choke'
>mode faster and you have interior heat for defrost quickly.

I wish the dealership asked me about this when I bought the car. It
was sold pretty much *as is.* OTOH if the salesperson had asked...I
would have said install the block heater. I guess it is a low-profit
item and they just wanted to move the car off the lot a.s.a.p. ;-\

I really think it is a good idea to install a block heater. I'll go
shopping for one shortly. Thanks.

Lg

Old December 1st 05, 09:15 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"John S." > wrote:
>My Dad tells a story about a guy that left the battery on charge
>overnight. Opened the hood and lit a match to see if the cells were
>still bubbling. Kaboom!!

Was this guy's name Darwin per chance?

How about a small portable generator as the ultimate backup 12 v
source? Not sure how easily they pull cord start in really cold
weather. Besides that, if you have gas, you can make juice - most put
out either 12 v DC or 110 AC. I think the "foreign" versions do
220AC.

Jay