5 Speed synchronizer question

Old August 27th 06, 07:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
mbjj[_1_]

Default 5 Speed synchronizer question

I have a 97 metro 5 speed 1.0L and it runs fine. I am beginning to notice
that whenever I downshift out of 3rd and 5th that I sometimes have to tug
on the shifter to get it out of gear. I am still trying to gather data on
this but it seems like one time it will come out nice and smooth and the
next I get some resistance getting it out of gear. I notice that if I
push the clutch pedal firmly on the floor that it appears to come out
easier. My question is if it goes into gear smoothly [3rd and 5th] and
does not "rake" the gears going in and it gives me a problem coming out,
could it be a synchronizer problem? The gear oil fluid level is full
and I think I can say that I noticed a tad bit of resistance going into
3rd and 5th on the drive back home. Any advice would help. This transaxle
has 140000 miles on it and has never given me a problem.
Old August 27th 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel

mbjj wrote:
> I have a 97 metro 5 speed 1.0L and it runs fine. I am beginning to notice
> that whenever I downshift out of 3rd and 5th that I sometimes have to tug
> on the shifter to get it out of gear. I am still trying to gather data on
> this but it seems like one time it will come out nice and smooth and the
> next I get some resistance getting it out of gear. I notice that if I
> push the clutch pedal firmly on the floor that it appears to come out
> easier. My question is if it goes into gear smoothly [3rd and 5th] and
> does not "rake" the gears going in and it gives me a problem coming out,
> could it be a synchronizer problem? The gear oil fluid level is full
> and I think I can say that I noticed a tad bit of resistance going into
> 3rd and 5th on the drive back home. Any advice would help. This transaxle
> has 140000 miles on it and has never given me a problem.

sounds like your clutch is not disengaging completely

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old August 27th 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don Bruder

In article . net>,
mbjj > wrote:

> I have a 97 metro 5 speed 1.0L and it runs fine. I am beginning to notice
> that whenever I downshift out of 3rd and 5th that I sometimes have to tug
> on the shifter to get it out of gear. I am still trying to gather data on
> this but it seems like one time it will come out nice and smooth and the
> next I get some resistance getting it out of gear. I notice that if I
> push the clutch pedal firmly on the floor that it appears to come out
> easier. My question is if it goes into gear smoothly [3rd and 5th] and
> does not "rake" the gears going in and it gives me a problem coming out,
> could it be a synchronizer problem? The gear oil fluid level is full
> and I think I can say that I noticed a tad bit of resistance going into
> 3rd and 5th on the drive back home. Any advice would help. This transaxle
> has 140000 miles on it and has never given me a problem.

When's the last time you checked the clutch fluid level/cable tension?
Sounds to me more like a clutch that's not quite disengaging than a
synchro problem from your information so far - especially the comment
about "if I push the clutch pedal firmly to the floor..."

A bum clutch could give you exactly the described symptoms. (and be a
good bit cheaper to deal with than needing new synchros)

140K is a pretty good run for a clutch - especially on a "disposable"
car like a Metro.

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info
Old August 27th 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
mbjj[_1_]

Don Bruder wrote:

> In article . net>,
> mbjj > wrote:
>
>> I have a 97 metro 5 speed 1.0L and it runs fine. I am beginning to notice
>> that whenever I downshift out of 3rd and 5th that I sometimes have to tug
>> on the shifter to get it out of gear. I am still trying to gather data on
>> this but it seems like one time it will come out nice and smooth and the
>> next I get some resistance getting it out of gear. I notice that if I
>> push the clutch pedal firmly on the floor that it appears to come out
>> easier. My question is if it goes into gear smoothly [3rd and 5th] and
>> does not "rake" the gears going in and it gives me a problem coming out,
>> could it be a synchronizer problem? The gear oil fluid level is full
>> and I think I can say that I noticed a tad bit of resistance going into
>> 3rd and 5th on the drive back home. Any advice would help. This transaxle
>> has 140000 miles on it and has never given me a problem.

> When's the last time you checked the clutch fluid level/cable tension?
> Sounds to me more like a clutch that's not quite disengaging than a
> synchro problem from your information so far - especially the comment
> about "if I push the clutch pedal firmly to the floor..."
>
> A bum clutch could give you exactly the described symptoms. (and be a
> good bit cheaper to deal with than needing new synchros)
>
> 140K is a pretty good run for a clutch - especially on a "disposable"
> car like a Metro.

The clutch is cable driven and I adjusted it about to the end of its
throw. I have 3 or 4 more threads showing on the adjuster nut and then
it will be bottomed out. As for the clutch itself I replaced it about
30,000 miles ago when I swapped out the engine. Unless my son was
riding it when he had it for a year or so there isn't that many miles
on it. You think it's more of an adjustment than it is a syncro problem?

Old August 27th 06, 11:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
mbjj[_1_]

Don Bruder wrote:

> In article . net>,
> mbjj > wrote:
>
>> I have a 97 metro 5 speed 1.0L and it runs fine. I am beginning to notice
>> that whenever I downshift out of 3rd and 5th that I sometimes have to tug
>> on the shifter to get it out of gear. I am still trying to gather data on
>> this but it seems like one time it will come out nice and smooth and the
>> next I get some resistance getting it out of gear. I notice that if I
>> push the clutch pedal firmly on the floor that it appears to come out
>> easier. My question is if it goes into gear smoothly [3rd and 5th] and
>> does not "rake" the gears going in and it gives me a problem coming out,
>> could it be a synchronizer problem? The gear oil fluid level is full
>> and I think I can say that I noticed a tad bit of resistance going into
>> 3rd and 5th on the drive back home. Any advice would help. This transaxle
>> has 140000 miles on it and has never given me a problem.

> When's the last time you checked the clutch fluid level/cable tension?
> Sounds to me more like a clutch that's not quite disengaging than a
> synchro problem from your information so far - especially the comment
> about "if I push the clutch pedal firmly to the floor..."
>
> A bum clutch could give you exactly the described symptoms. (and be a
> good bit cheaper to deal with than needing new synchros)
>
> 140K is a pretty good run for a clutch - especially on a "disposable"
> car like a Metro.

Another thought. If it is related to the cable/clutch then why am I only
experiencing it in 3rd and 5th gear?

Old August 27th 06, 11:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel

mbjj wrote:
> Don Bruder wrote:
>

>>In article . net>,
>> mbjj > wrote:
>>

>>>I have a 97 metro 5 speed 1.0L and it runs fine. I am beginning to notice
>>>that whenever I downshift out of 3rd and 5th that I sometimes have to tug
>>>on the shifter to get it out of gear. I am still trying to gather data on
>>>this but it seems like one time it will come out nice and smooth and the
>>>next I get some resistance getting it out of gear. I notice that if I
>>>push the clutch pedal firmly on the floor that it appears to come out
>>>easier. My question is if it goes into gear smoothly [3rd and 5th] and
>>>does not "rake" the gears going in and it gives me a problem coming out,
>>>could it be a synchronizer problem? The gear oil fluid level is full
>>>and I think I can say that I noticed a tad bit of resistance going into
>>>3rd and 5th on the drive back home. Any advice would help. This transaxle
>>>has 140000 miles on it and has never given me a problem.

>>When's the last time you checked the clutch fluid level/cable tension?
>>Sounds to me more like a clutch that's not quite disengaging than a
>>synchro problem from your information so far - especially the comment
>>about "if I push the clutch pedal firmly to the floor..."
>>
>>A bum clutch could give you exactly the described symptoms. (and be a
>>good bit cheaper to deal with than needing new synchros)
>>
>>140K is a pretty good run for a clutch - especially on a "disposable"
>>car like a Metro.
>>

> The clutch is cable driven and I adjusted it about to the end of its
> throw. I have 3 or 4 more threads showing on the adjuster nut and then
> it will be bottomed out. As for the clutch itself I replaced it about
> 30,000 miles ago when I swapped out the engine. Unless my son was
> riding it when he had it for a year or so there isn't that many miles
> on it. You think it's more of an adjustment than it is a syncro problem?

How much fre eplay does the clutch pedal have currently?

nate

Old August 28th 06, 02:25 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
mbjj[_1_]

Nate Nagel wrote:

> mbjj wrote:
>> Don Bruder wrote:

>>>When's the last time you checked the clutch fluid level/cable tension?
>>>Sounds to me more like a clutch that's not quite disengaging than a
>>>synchro problem from your information so far - especially the comment
>>>about "if I push the clutch pedal firmly to the floor..."
>>>
>>>A bum clutch could give you exactly the described symptoms. (and be a
>>>good bit cheaper to deal with than needing new synchros)
>>>
>>>140K is a pretty good run for a clutch - especially on a "disposable"
>>>car like a Metro.
>>>

>> The clutch is cable driven and I adjusted it about to the end of its
>> throw. I have 3 or 4 more threads showing on the adjuster nut and then
>> it will be bottomed out. As for the clutch itself I replaced it about
>> 30,000 miles ago when I swapped out the engine. Unless my son was
>> riding it when he had it for a year or so there isn't that many miles
>> on it. You think it's more of an adjustment than it is a syncro problem?
>>

> How much fre eplay does the clutch pedal have currently?
>
> nate

None. I adjusted it all out. I plan on backing it all off tomorrow to
see what that does.

Old August 28th 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
mbjj

Nate Nagel wrote:

> mbjj wrote:
>> I have a 97 metro 5 speed 1.0L and it runs fine. I am beginning to notice
>> that whenever I downshift out of 3rd and 5th that I sometimes have to tug
>> on the shifter to get it out of gear. I am still trying to gather data on
>> this but it seems like one time it will come out nice and smooth and the
>> next I get some resistance getting it out of gear. I notice that if I
>> push the clutch pedal firmly on the floor that it appears to come out
>> easier. My question is if it goes into gear smoothly [3rd and 5th] and
>> does not "rake" the gears going in and it gives me a problem coming out,
>> could it be a synchronizer problem? The gear oil fluid level is full
>> and I think I can say that I noticed a tad bit of resistance going into
>> 3rd and 5th on the drive back home. Any advice would help. This transaxle
>> has 140000 miles on it and has never given me a problem.

> sounds like your clutch is not disengaging completely
>
> nate

It was out of adjustment. When I backed the adjuster off to
get free play again it all fell into place. Now I have to
watch it to see how much the misadjustment over time has
shortened the clutch life. My thanks to you and everyone else
that responded.

mbjj