Cooling Fan???

Old February 13th 04, 04:48 PM
Zenteren

Default Cooling Fan???

Hi,

I have suzuki samurai 1.3 liter engine with viscous clutch cooling fan, it
is wear out and cannot spin fan fast enough to cool the engine. I'm thinking
to get out clutch system and make an adapter to connect pulley and fan
directly to each other. My fan is connected to the water pump pulley.
How will this modification work? Is it going to wear faster water pump
bearings, and would my engine lost some power, if do what is the best
solution to make it cooling better my engine???

Old February 13th 04, 06:13 PM
Elbert

You would be better off to get a electric fan setup and do away with
the belt driven fan, either do that or replace the fan clutch.

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 16:48:24 +0100, "Zenteren"
> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have suzuki samurai 1.3 liter engine with viscous clutch cooling fan, it
>is wear out and cannot spin fan fast enough to cool the engine. I'm thinking
>to get out clutch system and make an adapter to connect pulley and fan
>directly to each other. My fan is connected to the water pump pulley.
>How will this modification work? Is it going to wear faster water pump
>bearings, and would my engine lost some power, if do what is the best
>solution to make it cooling better my engine???

----
Elbert Clarke

remove ** to email

Old February 13th 04, 06:13 PM
Elbert

Old February 13th 04, 06:40 PM
Mike Romain

Making the fan 'fixed' will eat some power, not a lot, but some for
sure.

On some of them you can just use longer bolts on the fan and that jams
up the clutch so it all moves together.

As someone else mentioned, you could go electric as well and get rid of
the mechanical fan.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old February 13th 04, 06:40 PM
Mike Romain

Old February 13th 04, 07:13 PM
Matt Mead

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 12:40:34 -0500, Mike Romain >
wrote:

>As someone else mentioned, you could go electric as well and get rid of
>the mechanical fan.

And free up a touch more power. (Something that 1.3L really needs!)

Matt
99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4
Old February 13th 04, 07:13 PM
Matt Mead

Old February 13th 04, 07:28 PM
derek

I did this once on an '81 Jeep CJ7 4cyl. Power loss was substantial
at higher speed/RPMs and it sounded like a jet engine about 2000 RPMs.
You really need to have a fan clutch on the smaller engines. On my
78 Chevy it was not much of an issue. I ended up removing the fan
entirely and got an electric that mounted to the radiator. I believe
I got it from JC Whitney for about $60. Worked great. my .02

Derek

Old February 13th 04, 07:28 PM
derek

Old February 14th 04, 10:34 AM
Zenteren

What type of electric fan is best to use on suzuki with small or no
modifications at all on radiator or other mounts? I checked all suzuki
off-road shops for electric fan and I didn't find anything and anybody who
put electric fan on their rig. I don't know what are they doing to cool
their engines down.
Would it help if I pulls out Thermostat valve out? Or maybe put only larger
radiator? Please, help!